• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

Ovechkin got a lot of crap from the media for losing to Montreal, despite scoring 10 points in that series. It clearly wasn't his fault that the rest of his teammates choked in that series but everyone pointed the finger at him.

The media kept talking about how Crosby has surpassed Ovechkin as a player because of the Caps loss and that Crosby is a better leader and all that s***.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Crosby scored 5 points in this series and only 1 goal. He choked big time in this series, and didn't play nearly as well as Ovechkin did against this same team, scoring around half as many points.

I want to hear the hockey media blame Crosby for this loss the same way they did Ovechkin. I know that probably won't happen, but it should. He was completely invisible here just like against us in the Finals the last two years.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 12 May 2010 - 08:48 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

Oh, everyone with common sense knew his great performance in the 1st round was because they played an AHL level team. Now he's back "among" the best, not "the greatest human being ever born."

And I for one am glad the Pens are out.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

I don't know about "more" blame.

They were both their team's best players and both under performed.

Ovechkin really hurt his team with his superman rushes where he tried to go around 5 people and shoot from the blue line.

But Crosby/Malkin sure didn't perform up to par either.

I really do think more credit should be given to Halak then Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin should be blamed. Because they all had great on the door chances that Halak just simply stopped.

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

I don't know about "more" blame.

They were both their team's best players and both under performed.

Ovechkin really hurt his team with his superman rushes where he tried to go around 5 people and shoot from the blue line.

But Crosby/Malkin sure didn't perform up to par either.

I really do think more credit should be given to Halak then Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin should be blamed. Because they all had great on the door chances that Halak just simply stopped.

How did Ovechkin underperform? He scored 10 points.

He was trying to do too much because his wannabee supersatar teammates (Green, Semen) didn't get the job done.

He was unfairly blamed for a loss where he played rather well. Crosby, on the other hand did nothing in this series other than dive. Look at how well Gionta and Cammaleri played.

#5 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

we'll just be called for jealousy, but this 100% true.

this just in.....

lidstromboli and tomatoetownwingsfan phoned in by bettman and mario for emergency fluffing of crosby

Posted Image

Edited by j.hoop, 12 May 2010 - 09:00 PM.

“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#6 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

I get what you are saying but I think the reason Ovie took so much blame was because he wasn't passing the puck and he became so predictable. I think more of the criticisms were against his overall game and his inability to adapt to what the Habs were doing defensively.

Edit: for the record, I do agree with you. However, we won't hear about how Crosby was invisible, as was Malkin. However, a lot of credit needs to go to the Habs defense, which we are all seeing is vastly underrated.

Edited by henrik40, 12 May 2010 - 08:59 PM.

#7 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

How did Ovechkin underperform? He scored 10 points.

He was trying to do too much because his wannabee supersatar teammates (Green, Semen) didn't get the job done.

He was unfairly blamed for a loss where he played rather well. Crosby, on the other hand did nothing in this series other than dive. Look at how well Gionta and Cammaleri played.

Gionta and Cammellerri didn't have to go against the best goalie in the playoffs.

I get what you are saying but I think the reason Ovie took so much blame was because he wasn't passing the puck and he became so predictable. I think more of the criticisms were against his overall game and his inability to adapt to what the Habs were doing defensively.

Exactly, and personally I don't think it's a fair criticism. The main person I blame on Washington is their coach that completely refused to match lines or change strategy.

Edited by Carman, 12 May 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

Crosby didn't exactly adapt either, as his numbers show. Ovechkin adapted well enough to put up good numbers in the series.

I think the fact that Ovechkin is a foreign born superstar had something to do with it also. The hockey media seems afraid to say anything bad about Crosby. I hope that changes eventually.

#9 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

And he smells.

#10 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

won't happen because Crosby has one cup, and scored the game winner at the Olympics. the media won't be on him. if he had choked on those 2 occasions then the choke label will be there.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

won't happen because Crosby has one cup, and scored the game winner at the Olympics. the media won't be on him. if he had choked on those 2 occasions then the choke label will be there.

Yeah, that's also another reason.

I just don't like how Ovechkin was thrown under the bus, and everyone seemed to say convincingly that Crosby was better than him.

#12 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Crosby didn't exactly adapt either, as his numbers show. Ovechkin adapted well enough to put up good numbers in the series.

I think the fact that Ovechkin is a foreign born superstar had something to do with it also. The hockey media seems afraid to say anything bad about Crosby. I hope that changes eventually.

Don't worry, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that the media was harping on Ovie because of those reasons. And like Carman said, most of Washington's choke job lies in the hands of Boudreau. And I likewise wish the media would grow some balls and say something negative about Crosby. They'll find a way to sugarcoat it.

#13 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, that's also another reason.

I just don't like how Ovechkin was thrown under the bus, and everyone seemed to say convincingly that Crosby was better than him.

It definitely wasn't fair that Ovechkin got thrown under the bus, it wasn't his fault that his coach was well out coached.

But one series isn't going to be the defining factor in determining who is better Crosby or Ovechkin.

It's going to be one or the other depending on who had a better game that day. It's just personal preference.

#14 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Crosby was completely shut down in the last two SCFs, sucked in the two games against the US in the Olympics (but got the OT goal on a lucky shot), and now has been shut down again in a 2nd round loss after being up 3-1 to the 8th seed in the weak ass Eastern Conference.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#15 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

But one series isn't going to be the defining factor in determining who is better Crosby or Ovechkin.

You are quite right, one series is not the defining factor; I AM and I say Ovechkin rules. Okay now that thats over and done with....
Play on!
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#16 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

Crosby was completely shut down in the last two SCFs, sucked in the two games against the US in the Olympics (but got the OT goal on a lucky shot), and now has been shut down again in a 2nd round loss after being up 3-1 to the 8th seed in the weak ass Eastern Conference.

esteef

Nu-uh! He's the best player in the league!

HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE!

Posted Image

#17 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Nu-uh! He's the best player in the league!

HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE!

Posted Image

I bet Carman has a cassette tape of daily affirmations he listens to every morning, and the first one is "Sidney Crosby is the best player in the NHL and he loves you."

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#18 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

"Sidney Crosby is the best player in the NHL and he loves you."

How should LGW approach him when C-Word officially breaks his heart into a million pieces?

#19 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

How should LGW approach him when C-Word officially breaks his heart into a million pieces?

Very carefully. He's liable to end up in a clock tower somewhere.

Edited by Electrophile, 12 May 2010 - 09:36 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#20 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

CROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBYCROSBY