• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

End of an Era....

Rate this topic

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Defenceman+Chris+Chelios+cent+sure+will+retire/3018696/story.html#ixzz0nkHgIHqK

27 freakin' seasons!!! :yowza:

“I'm 99 per cent sure that I think that will end it as a career,” Chelios told the Chicago Tribune. “I don't know if it's the right time to say it, but it has been a great opportunity for me for (27) years. Physically it has caught up. I always said I'd go out when there was nothing left in the tank and I think I'm there.”

Thing is too -- he was good as late as the 2007 playoffs when he really stepped it up with the Wings' injuries and more than held his own. Runner-up for the Norris at the age of 40 is not too shabby either!

If he does retire, he's definitely going to the Hall-of-Fame. The only question is with what jersey? He's won 1 cup with the Habs, 2 with the Wings, and was born in Chicago. It'll be a hard choice, but I personally think it will come down to the latter two teams.

We had a chance to watch him play about a week ago here in Texas, and if anything he looked thinner and in better shape than before. You could tell the kids on the Wolves' team listened to him and respected him. He was like another coach, but on the ice. At one point during the warm-up he stood on one side of the ice and shot pucks to a kid on the other side and then watched him shoot toward the goal. At another time during the game their team screwed up and he just shook his head skating off the ice. I can't recall a time during that game that he looked out of position or didn't do what was required. He wore #7 instead of #24, but there was no mistaking his presence on the ice. He has set a standard for defensemen/hockey players that will be very hard to live up to. :(:clap:

If he does retire, he's definitely going to the Hall-of-Fame. The only question is with what jersey? He's won 1 cup with the Habs, 2 with the Wings, and was born in Chicago. It'll be a hard choice, but I personally think it will come down to the latter two teams.

What are you talking about? On the day of his induction, he'll be wearing a suit...actually, he'll be wearing a HHOF sports coat. This isn't baseball.

Also, he's won 1 Norris with Montreal and 2 with Chicago and he's played the most games with Chicago. For whatever reason, I remember him most from his days with Montreal...probably because when I was younger, I lived in Nova Scotia and HNIC was always Montreal games.

What are you talking about? On the day of his induction, he'll be wearing a suit...actually, he'll be wearing a HHOF sports coat. This isn't baseball.

Also, he's won 1 Norris with Montreal and 2 with Chicago and he's played the most games with Chicago. For whatever reason, I remember him most from his days with Montreal...probably because when I was younger, I lived in Nova Scotia and HNIC was always Montreal games.

ZMAN was referring to what Chelios jersey would be placed in the Hall of Fame, not what one he would wear to the induction. Of course they wear formal wear.

Just like Shanahan did recently, I hope Chelios chooses a Wings jersey for the HOF. Congrats, Cheli, on a wonderful career!

I've never been to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but I assume that there is some sort of team representation in the likeness of a player in the hall. Jersey on a plaque or something?

Baseball players don't wear jerseys when they get inducted into Cooperstown.

Unlike the baseball HOF where player likenesses are represented with a team's cap, I don't believe the hockey HOF associates a team/jersey with the player. Pretty sure of that based on Shanny saying a month or so back that IF the hockey HOF did that, he would go in as a Wing.

Found it...

Finally: If the Hockey Hall of Fame was like the baseball Hall, and you had to go in wearing a particular uniform, which one would you chose?

The Red Wings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Brendan-Shanahan-about-coa?urn=nhl,237849

Edited by ogreslayer

ZMAN was referring to what Chelios jersey would be placed in the Hall of Fame, not what one he would wear to the induction. Of course they wear formal wear.

Just like Shanahan did recently, I hope Chelios chooses a Wings jersey for the HOF. Congrats, Cheli, on a wonderful career!

Not sure what you mean by the jersey being placed in the Hall of Fame, that's not how players are represented from the perspective of being inducted. There is a room with all of the members represented on the walls. There is a plaque for each player that shows their face and a bio.

Not sure what you are referring to with respect to Shanahan, he's not even in the HOF.

Might you be referring to this?

Puck Daddy Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:38 am EDT

Finally: If the Hockey Hall of Fame was like the baseball Hall, and you had to go in wearing a particular uniform, which one would you chose?

The Red Wings.

Unlike the baseball HOF where player likenesses are represented with a team's cap, I don't believe the hockey HOF associates a team/jersey with the player. Pretty sure of that based on Shanny saying a month or so back that IF the hockey HOF did that, he would go in as a Wing.

Found it...

The Red Wings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Brendan-Shanahan-about-coa?urn=nhl,237849

Creepy, I just posted the same excerpt. And you are correct, players do not go into the HHOF based on any team representation.

What are you talking about? It's not even close, he played WAY more games with Detroit...

Chicago:

Reg Season: 511 Playoffs: 65

Detroit:

Reg Season: 578 Playoffs: 150

Guest micah

Cheli was consistantly the best or among the best DMen in the league with both Montreal and Chicago. By the time he arrived in Detroit he was good, but not among the league's best.

The Chris Chelios that played in Montreal was perhaps the best Cefenseman I've ever seen play - yes, I think he was as good as, though very different from, Lidstrom. I HATED Chelios.

Cheli was consistantly the best or among the best DMen in the league with both Montreal and Chicago. By the time he arrived in Detroit he was good, but not among the league's best.

The Chris Chelios that played in Montreal was perhaps the best Cefenseman I've ever seen play - yes, I think he was as good as, though very different from, Lidstrom. I HATED Chelios.

Would you say that he symbolized the type of player that one 'hates when on someone else's team but loves when on one's own'?

Cheli is the man. Still. I've seen him play a couple of times this season and he hasn't lost a step. The kids on the team with him are instantly "better" with Cheli on the ice...and when he's not on shift, they are watching him and listening.

You can't buy what Chelios brings to the game. If he decides to hang 'em up, he can do so knowing he made a permanent impression on the sport he loves.

I love the old men, what can I say? :D

He's still got game. And like someone else said, it's amazing he was still a great player as late as 2007. People joke about him hanging on too long, but why? He didn't exactly go out on top but he didn't exactly fizzle out, either. A hard worker who has set the bar, and quite possibly the best American to ever play the game.

I hated him with the blackhawks but loved him with the wings. I remember hearing an interview with brendan shanahan talking about when we acquired chelios. Shanahan stated he was driving in his car and had to pull off to the side of the road upon hearing news the wings got chelios.