• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

wow, what a guy. True love for the game. I know hes not done with hockey, even if he is done playing he will continue to be involved in it.
Posted Image

#22 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Holy s***. I thought I'd never live to see the day. Good career Cheli. It was nice having you here.

#23 RememberStevieY

RememberStevieY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

I hated him with the blackhawks but loved him with the wings. I remember hearing an interview with brendan shanahan talking about when we acquired chelios. Shanahan stated he was driving in his car and had to pull off to the side of the road upon hearing news the wings got chelios.
The Order of the Paradox

The most regular season wins, post season wins, division titles, conference titles and 4 Stanley Cups in a little over a decade spells d-y-n-a-s-t-y;

#24 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

A salute to a great player and amazing career! Be proud of yourself, Cheli! :clap:

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#25 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

I'm crying.

#26 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

wouldn't be surprised if he went into the hall as a Hab or Hawk. those were his best years

Posted Image

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

1 of my fondest memories of Chelios took place in the old Chicago Stadium where I watched "Spud" Gallant beat the tar outta him after he ran Fedorov into the boards :lol:

When Hextall jumped him was even worse.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

When Hextall jumped him was even worse.

I love watching the old fight videos.I can watch em over and over.Especially when Hextall jumped Chelios.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

I'm crying.

Awww. I feel bad for you. :( {{hugs}}

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#30 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

I for one am sad to see him go, Too bad he couldn't retire a Wing. While Lids sets one standard for D men Cheli sets the others. Great career Cheli, enjoy the time off. I will miss you.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#31 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Awww. I feel bad for you. :( {{hugs}}

Thank you. ((hugs back))

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

I love watching the old fight videos.I can watch em over and over.Especially when Hextall jumped Chelios.

Thank God for YouTube...I can relive my youth, and passion for "Old Time Hockey" again, and again ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thank God for YouTube...I can relive my youth, and passion for "Old Time Hockey" again, and again ;)

Amen.Nothing like reliving the cup-clinching goals and crazy brawls and spectacular saves and huge hits and man i can go all day watching old hockey clips.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

I really hope we can bring him in as the defence coach. Aside from Lids, who better could we have there.

I think Chelios will eventually be a coach and a damn good one... unfortunately, it probably can't be here (at least not anytime soon) - there's something to be said about coaching guys you once played with and how it usually doesn't work...

Also, as much as I love Lidstrom and think he can basically do no wrong, I do not EVER see him coaching - he does not have the demeanor to be a coach, he'd be more of a front office type guy (like Yzerman)

However, I really think McCrimmon needs to be sent packing, I think he was horrible and directly related to the steps back that guys like Ericsson and Kronwall made this year and just the overall horrendous PK we had while he was handling the duties...

With that said, I really hope we can retain MacClean and shift him back to the D coach (where he was in 08) and then bring Gerard Gallant on board for the offense... I think this would have great on ice results and good PR...

Edited by stevkrause, 14 May 2010 - 07:31 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

I think Chelios will eventually be a coach and a damn good one... unfortunately, it probably can't be here (at least not anytime soon) - there's something to be said about coaching guys you once played with and how it usually doesn't work...

Also, as much as I love Lidstrom and think he can basically do no wrong, I do not EVER see him coaching - he does not have the demeanor to be a coach, he'd be more of a front office type guy (like Yzerman)

However, I really think McCrimmon needs to be sent packing, I think he was horrible and directly related to the steps back the Ericsson and Kronwall made this year and just the overall horrendous PK we had while he was handling the duties...

With that said, I really hope we can retain MacClean and shift him back to the D coach (where he was in 08) and then bring Gerard Gallant on board for the offense... I think this would have great on ice results and good PR...

Getting Gallant on board would be nice.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

Getting Gallant on board would be nice.

He actually had Columbus relatively competitive and has head coaching experience too...

Edited by stevkrause, 14 May 2010 - 07:31 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#37 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

What are you talking about? It's not even close, he played WAY more games with Detroit...
Chicago:
Reg Season: 511 Playoffs: 65

Detroit:
Reg Season: 578 Playoffs: 150

I have no idea where you got your stats, but your reg season games for Chicago are way off, as are your playoff games for Detroit. The others are correct.

Here are the actual numbers:

Chicago:
Reg season: 664 Playoffs: 65 (reg season pts/PIM: 487/1,495, playoffs pts/PIM: 48/133)

Detroit:
Reg season: 578 Playoffs: 103(reg season pts/PIM: 152/613, playoffs pts/PIM: 28/104)

#38 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

I have no idea where you got your stats, but your reg season games for Chicago are way off, as are your playoff games for Detroit. The others are correct.

Here are the actual numbers:

Chicago:
Reg season: 664 Playoffs: 65 (reg season pts/PIM: 487/1,495, playoffs pts/PIM: 48/133)

Detroit:
Reg season: 578 Playoffs: 103(reg season pts/PIM: 152/613, playoffs pts/PIM: 28/104)

I got mine from HockeyDB - where did you get yours? I must have added wrong... I just verified mine against TSN and they don't add up...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#39 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

I am sorry to see Cheli hang them up, but we all know that we cannot go on forever.

Everyone always said he was a grouch, but the couple times I talked to him he was nothing but kind and funny. I will miss him. Wherever your journeys take you, Chris, I wish you well.
Posted Image

#40 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

Wonder if in a couple of years time Cheli will regret retiring too early? "man, I coulda played another coupla years in the AHL..." :D

Favourite memories - mentoring Fisher at the same time as winning the Stanley Cup in 2002. Man, what a 2nd pair that was Posted Image

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk