• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Phoenix trades Jared Staal to Carolina for a 2010 5th round pick.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

:blink:

Isn't the trading deadline gone?

I always thought teams couldn't make trades until the offseason begins?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

:blink:

Isn't the trading deadline gone?

I always thought teams couldn't make trades until the offseason begins?

Teams that are out can trade with each other.

Besides, this is a trade of "rights", so it's not a big deal. Phoenix wasn't going to sign Staal, so they just moved his rights to Carolina, who will presumably sign him.

#4 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

This is off topic, but MacK, having now seen your Sakic and Fedorov signatures, I am very sorry for you...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#5 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

Is he ANY GOOD?
Posted Image

#6 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

I think he was traded so he could play with his brother. The Staals have a great family thing going, even Jordan wants to be a Cane.

#7 Datsasuk

Datsasuk

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

I think he was traded so he could play with his brother. The Staals have a great family thing going, even Jordan wants to be a Cane.

Haha they should throw them all one team. They'll be the Stall line! That would actually be a pretty good line though. And Marc will be on as well with them

#8 ceebs

ceebs

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Good value for a 5th in my opinion, considering we got a 5th + OKT for Leino. Staal is big, has good bloodlines and his older brothers always spoke really well of him.
I'll say this once and I'll say it clearly, Dumphy's on the cup next to Danny Cleary!

#9 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

The other brothers say that Jared has the best hands out of all of them, does it mean he's the best? No, but it counts for something.

#10 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

Living in Sudbury, and having seen him play for the Wolves, I dont blame Phoenix for trading him. He was drafted because of his name, not because of his skill set.

#11 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

The other brothers say that Jared has the best hands out of all of them, does it mean he's the best? No, but it counts for something.

or they're just saying nice things about him because he's their brother

Posted Image

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

Living in Sudbury, and having seen him play for the Wolves, I dont blame Phoenix for trading him. He was drafted because of his name, not because of his skill set.

I'm going to defer to someone who has seen him play - with that said, how long ago did he play there and is his potential at least worth a 5th? I mean it's not a high draft pick, so this could be a good move for Carolina...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#13 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

I actually forgot he was drafted, my bad.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#14 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

Going to be interesting to see if Carolina tries to get Jordan and Marc.

A collection of Staal's would be interesting.

How would Jordan's and Jared's name be on the back of the jersey? Jo. Staal and Ja. Staal haha?

#15 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'm going to defer to someone who has seen him play - with that said, how long ago did he play there and is his potential at least worth a 5th? I mean it's not a high draft pick, so this could be a good move for Carolina...

He's played in Sudbury the last three years.. and I think he's put up one 20 goal season. His bloodline alone i suppose makes him worth a 5th round draft pick, but I can't see him cracking an NHL roster any time soon.

#16 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

Imagine them all in canes jerseys. Interesting.

#17 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

The one thing I would say is this family seems a little injury prone to me, and a touch on the overrated department as well.

I think the whole family thing is blown out of proportion, I don't think they are close to the Millers or Hatchers.

But hockey is a family environment, it has always supported families and usually once a hockey family always a hockey family.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#18 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:17 AM

Funny side note about the Staals, I was playing NHL 10 the other day and I saw the the rangers and canes were involved in a trade, They traded Marc and Eric. Just found that pretty funny, and also a bad trade for the Canes.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5