• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rufio

Yzerman Declines Tampa

Rate this topic

Per TFP.com

First, Dave Nonis took himself out of the running for the general manager position with the Lightning. Now, it appears Steve Yzerman is out of the mix, as well.

Nonis signed a two-year extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs earlier this week. According to several sources, TFP has learned that Yzerman has turned down the opportunity to become the GM of the Bolts.

Several reports indicate former Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough is also believed to be a candidate for the post, though one source suggests he may also be out of the picture.

The Tampa Tribune reported yesterday that current TSN analyst Pierre McGuire is among the other contenders up for the job.

Once a new GM is named, the Lightning will begin their search for a new head coach.

Great news! I really hope he can be Detroit's GM one day. He'll have to be patient though.

Why is Pierre always in the running for being a GM? I think he might be a good Junior scout, but other then that, he knows the most random facts about players that nobody needs to know.

If he was a GM, I could see him being as bad as Mike Milbury...

However, I am all for it, that way I would never have to see his bald, creepy, cocky, repetetive, corny, annoying face on TSN ever again.

Glad that Yzerman is staying with Detroit! I'd like to have him in the organization as long as possible, it just wouldn't seem right seeing him everywhere else. (Kind of like Bowman, but it happened)

Edited by WingsallTheway

Me too. In my perfect world, Stevie sticks around long enough to become the Wings GM after Ken Holland either retires or decides to take the promotion to team president that Ilitch wants to give him. And you know, that may still happen. It all depends on how long Stevie is willing to be patient and wait. He's got a sweet gig with the Wings already, and they give him the flexibility that lets him go off and be the GM of Team Canada whenever he wants. Of course, I'm sure Ilitch doesn't want him going anywhere, so who knows what was promised to Stevie. If he's been told there's a chance of him taking over the helm of the Wings in the next 10 years, he may just stick around until that happens. Anything beyond that, he may begin to look elsewhere.

But I am so glad he's staying, at least for now. I know I'm not the only Wings fan who is not quite ready to let go of Stevie just yet. It just somehow wouldn't be right. Like a brother leaving to be a part of another family or something.

Guest Lidstromboli

i dunno, Pierre would probably be a better GM than morons like Sather and Waddell

Edited by Lidstromboli

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i think yzerman should get at least some GM experience at some point before eventually taking over for the wings. maybe rebuild a team like atlanta or columbus. or even pittburgh :yowza:

Guest Lidstromboli

i would greatly miss pierre's insight into the game of hockey

YEEEESSSS!!! Chalk up another in the "selfish" column - I was really, really hoping he'd stay here (er, in Detroit, I mean...don't even think about coming to Southern California, Stevie!), even though I do wish him all the success in the world.

Oh god, I couldn't wish Pierre on anybody. I mean, it'd be beyond great to finally get him out of my TV set, but I wouldn't sic him on the poor guys of the Lightning. Can't somebody just find him a job in the mail room or something?