• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rufio

Yzerman Declines Tampa

Rate this topic

YEEEESSSS!!! Chalk up another in the "selfish" column - I was really, really hoping he'd stay here (er, in Detroit, I mean...don't even think about coming to Southern California, Stevie!), even though I do wish him all the success in the world.

Oh god, I couldn't wish Pierre on anybody. I mean, it'd be beyond great to finally get him out of my TV set, but I wouldn't sic him on the poor guys of the Lightning. Can't somebody just find him a job in the mail room or something?

This was basically the same thing I was going to say on all accounts, haha

Yzerman stay in Detroit - check

McGuire a parasite - check

yea, you basically covered it!

how reliable is TFP though? I HOPE it is!!! Cant imagine Stevie out there, f*** that.. Red Wings for life!

I wont believe it til TSN or NHL posts it.

TFP is generally not very reliable, however, not sure why Steve would want this position anyway. I know he'd likely jump if a good opportunity came his way, but you have to imagine that most guys want to stay clear of Tampa.

Not surprised that Yzerman has said no. I don't think at the moment he is too keen on moving his family away from the Detriot area.

As the man himself says:

"The situation has to be right for me and my family," he said. "Believe it or not, being a part of this organization and living in Detroit is something I cherish."

As far as I'm concerned Yzerman is the ONLY canditate that should be considered whenever Ken Holland decides to step down.

And P.J. McGuire becoming the new GM of the Tampa - I just lol'd.

TFP is generally not very reliable, however, not sure why Steve would want this position anyway. I know he'd likely jump if a good opportunity came his way, but you have to imagine that most guys want to stay clear of Tampa.

Tampa actually seems like one of the best opportunities there is now... new ownership that wants to win and is very hands off, GM gets to choose new coaching staff and inherits a LOT of young talent and some high picks in this years draft... furthermore, you add in the contingency of MI transplants in Tampa and this could potentially be the single best fit he could find outside of Detroit... I'm just glad he's not leaving

Not sure how reliable this is...

Link

ugh... like I said:

Tampa actually seems like one of the best opportunities there is now... new ownership that wants to win and is very hands off, GM gets to choose new coaching staff and inherits a LOT of young talent and some high picks in this years draft... furthermore, you add in the contingency of MI transplants in Tampa and this could potentially be the single best fit he could find outside of Detroit... I'm just glad he's not leaving

This is actually the scenario that scares me the most... I really hope he stays put :nervous::shock::confused:

ugh... like I said:

I didn't post the article to show how Tampa's a good fit. The main point from the article was that it refutes previous reports that Yzerman declined Tampa. If this source is reliable, apparently Yzerman's still the front-runner.

As an aside though, does anyone think Yzerman would even consider TB if it weren't were Stamkos? He singlehandedly makes that entire organization so much more appealing. Hedman helps as well (but to a much lesser extent).

I didn't post the article to show how Tampa's a good fit. The main point from the article was that it refutes previous reports that Yzerman declined Tampa. If this source is reliable, apparently Yzerman's still the front-runner.

As an aside though, does anyone think Yzerman would even consider TB if it weren't were Stamkos? He singlehandedly makes that entire organization so much more appealing. Hedman helps as well (but to a much lesser extent).

I wasn't saying you were... I was merely showing what I posted earlier, to show why Tampa scares me about him leaving... read it in context.

I wasn't saying you were... I was merely showing what I posted earlier, to show why Tampa scares me about him leaving... read it in context.

Sorry man, my bad. I misunderstood.

I just assumed that the 'ugh...like I said' meant you were grudgingly rehashing because you thought I was bringing up old news.

Sorry man, my bad. I misunderstood.

I just assumed that the 'ugh...like I said' meant you were grudgingly rehashing because you thought I was bringing up old news.

when I re-read it, I see how it could have been misconstrued, I should have been clearer... thanks for the link by the way, I guess we'll just have to sit by and nervously watch how this develops :nervous:

This is dumb. It shouldn't even be in question that Stevie might leave, Kenny needs to stop being selfish.

He gets in the league as a scout and eventually Nill agrees to become president and oversee Holland as GM. Yzerman turned this team around completely when Nill drafted him and was a life long wing. He's proven he's capable of building a team but Kenny refuses to do what another great GM(Nill) did for him.

Yeah you've done well Kenny but you gotta pay back your dues somewhere down the road.

This is dumb. It shouldn't even be in question that Stevie might leave, Kenny needs to stop being selfish.

He gets in the league as a scout and eventually Nill agrees to become president and oversee Holland as GM. Yzerman turned this team around completely when Nill drafted him and was a life long wing. He's proven he's capable of building a team but Kenny refuses to do what another great GM(Nill) did for him.

Yeah you've done well Kenny but you gotta pay back your dues somewhere down the road.

I can appreciate your sentiment, but your facts are way off. I believe you're thinking of Jimmy Devallano, but even then it isn't accurate.

I love Steve, and hope he stays forever, but I still want Kenny for now. If Steve has to take a job somewhere else for a while, then I wish him all the best. He'll be the GM here eventually (unless maybe he falls on his face somewhere else), no reason to push one of the best out of the way.

I can appreciate your sentiment, but your facts are way off. I believe you're thinking of Jimmy Devallano, but even then it isn't accurate.

I love Steve, and hope he stays forever, but I still want Kenny for now. If Steve has to take a job somewhere else for a while, then I wish him all the best. He'll be the GM here eventually (unless maybe he falls on his face somewhere else), no reason to push one of the best out of the way.

Yeah I was talking about Jimmy D my bad haha. And it is fairly accurate, I just finished reading a book and the story came up. Holland tried out for the wings, got cut, then the Adirondack coach(i think) suggested Jimmy D make Holland their Western scout. Jimmy did and Holland worked his way up until he was operating under Holland. Jimmy was made president and Holland GM so that Jimmy could monitor what Holland was doing and help him along the way til he got his feet wet, the rest is history.

Now Yzerman, who has made twice the contributions to this organization as Holland did is in the position for this to happen to him. Holland should allow him to step up and take the GM role and Holland help him get his feet wet. Yzerman has done to much for the team to just let him walk away.

Yeah I was talking about Jimmy D my bad haha. And it is fairly accurate, I just finished reading a book and the story came up. Holland tried out for the wings, got cut, then the Adirondack coach(i think) suggested Jimmy D make Holland their Western scout. Jimmy did and Holland worked his way up until he was operating under Holland. Jimmy was made president and Holland GM so that Jimmy could monitor what Holland was doing and help him along the way til he got his feet wet, the rest is history.

Now Yzerman, who has made twice the contributions to this organization as Holland did is in the position for this to happen to him. Holland should allow him to step up and take the GM role and Holland help him get his feet wet. Yzerman has done to much for the team to just let him walk away.

Bryan Murray became GM after Devallano was promoted to Senior VP. I believe at that time Holland was Director of Amatuer scouting.

After Murray left, Devallano, Holland, and Bowman shared GM duties. Devallano was still Senior VP of Hockey Operations, so I'm not sure how much he was really involved in the GM role. I believe Bowman was basically GM, and Holland his assistant. Holland took over when Bowman stepped down after the first Cup.

I give it ~6 more years. By that time we should be in transition from Pav and Hank to our next leaders. That would be the perfect time for Steve to come in. Could be sooner too. Kenny will probably move up when Jimmy D retires.

While I would understand if Stevie left to take a GM job elsewhere (as devastating as it would be), I hope he holds on and sees what goes down over the next few years in Detroit. As I said before, if he's willing to wait he might get the reward he really wants - the GM job with the Wings. He may just have to sit tight for several years, and it all depends on whether he's willing to do that or not. He's only 45 years old - even if he had to wait 10 years (and personally I don't think it would take that long) he would be the same age Ken Holland is now.

Personally I would wait, but alas I am not Stevie.

BTW - I found this courtesy of Mlive's Red Wings Snapshots blog by George James Malick. It's part of a column from St. Petersburg Times writer Damian Cristodero -

Yzerman back in GM spotlight for Lightning

Is Steve Yzerman "keen" on the Lightning's general manager job, as AOL Fanhouse reported Wednesday, or is the Red Wings vice president more inclined to stay in Detroit, as other media outlets have reported. With contradictory reports all over the place — and new owner Jeff Vinik and adviser Jac Sperling, who is heading the search, keeping a lid on the process — it's clear no one really knows.

For example, a Saturday Ottawa Sun story said Yzerman had only "mild interest" in the job and that TV analyst Pierre McGuire was the front-runner. A Sunday Toronto Star story said Yzerman had pulled out and the job is former Flames GM Doug Risebrough's to have.

Edited by Yzermania19

is it an option to have 2 assistant GMs(nill and stevie) yzerman can learn the gm ropes for 2 more years, and then become

actually just make him president of the united states. i know he wasnt born in the u.s. but they can make an exception. its stevie f***in yzerman

Edited by wings1110

I've also heard Ron Hextall's name thrown in the mix in the last day or so. Here is yet another excellent post by Mlive's Snapshots blogger George James Malick who says everyone just relax and look at the facts, which he points out in the following article:

The fact that Yzerman has the flexibility in Detroit to set his own schedule regarding spending time with his family (Yzerman's three daughters are enrolled in primary, junior high, and high school, respectively) plays into the equation, and I find it staggeringly surprising that nobody mentions the flexibility Yzerman still enjoys in essentially learning every aspect of managing an organization.

He can scout prospects in the AHL or their respective developmental leagues, travel with the Wings' amateur scouts to assess potential draft picks, talk to Jiri Fischer and Jim Bedard about the hands-on aspects of mentoring prospects, work with the pro scouts to eyeball the Wings' opponents, discuss managing the salary cap and the Wings' roster in terms of its unrestricted and restricted free agents-to-be with the Wings' silent partner, capologist and superb executive Ryan Martin, he can pick the brains of the Wings' coaching staff, work with the hockey operations staff, the Wings' business, marketing, and season ticket departments, probe the pluses and minuses of getting into the business of owning a team and managing an entertainment empire with the Red Wings, Tigers, and Olympia Entertainment and Ilitch Holdings' executives, and the Wings are clearly willing to let Yzerman go off on his own and do things like run Team Canada's Olympic team, World Championship team, etc.

And I think this quote from Stevie himself is very telling, without saying much:

"I've been in one spot for 27 years, so any change after that long a period would be a major adjustment. But those are things people do all the time,'' Yzerman said. "My family would be part of any major decision I make.''

Here's the link to the whole article - No need to freak out about Red Wings VP Steve Yzerman's "no comment" status