• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jeff48109

Canucks’ Mitchell criticizes head shot policy

Rate this topic

Canucks’ Mitchell criticizes head shot policy

Love this article. I didn't quote the full article.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—Canucks defenseman Willie Mitchell(notes) doesn’t like how the NHL has handled hits to the head, saying discipline was warranted for the shot that cut his season short.

“I am disappointed in the league, disappointed in Colin Campbell,” Mitchell said Thursday of the NHL vice president who handles the league’s discipline. “As we’ve seen (he’s) been very inconsistent with how he’s handled himself in those situations.”

The Canucks were eliminated from the Western Conference semifinal in six games by the Chicago Blackhawks earlier this week and were cleaning out their lockers Thursday.

Mitchell was speaking to the media for the first time since he suffered a concussion in a Jan. 16 game after a hit by Evgeni Malkin(notes) of the Pittsburgh Penguins send him head first into the boards.

He suggested Campbell has been reluctant to suspend some players because of his relationship with the NHL’s general managers and owners.

“I think the league needs to, along with our players’ union, take a look at how they run the discipline in the league,” Mitchell said. “Colin Campbell had a lot of relationships with general managers and ownership and stuff like that. It’s very tough to hand down decisions on matters like this when you are friends with people.

“It’s something the league and players need to look at, to have an outside party handle the discipline in the league (so) it’s consistent. As we’ve seen it hasn’t been very consistent.”

Neither Campbell nor NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly immediately returned e-mail messages Thursday.

Committee of former players would fix this. 5 guys (2 forwards, 2 d-men, 1 goalie) review the plays and hand out decisions.

this is a great idea, I could definitely get on board with this.

Regardless, Campbell needs to stop handling discipline - he's a joke... he does the rest of his job well, but they need this part removed from his job description

this is a great idea, I could definitely get on board with this.

Regardless, Campbell needs to stop handling discipline - he's a joke... he does the rest of his job well, but they need this part removed from his job description

Campbell is a joke, and I have long thought he needs to replaced. An impartial judge would be great, but I don't know if we g\could get one.

Sorry I forgot, but that being said that was a clean hit he gave to Towes. I wish we could go back to clean hits facing no retribution, but it seems we can't with today's NHL...thanks Bettman...

I agree, in principle, with Mitchell's complaints, but if you look at the incident involving him, it wasn't that bad, just had unfortunate results. He wasn't hit from behind, he was hit from the side, into the boards (he was off balance). I probably would have called it boarding, but I'm sure how you would argue for a suspension out of that.

I agree, in principle, with Mitchell's complaints, but if you look at the incident involving him, it wasn't that bad, just had unfortunate results. He wasn't hit from behind, he was hit from the side, into the boards (he was off balance). I probably would have called it boarding, but I'm sure how you would argue for a suspension out of that.

Despite the fact that the hit wasn't "that bad," and while I'm sure that if there were an impartial judge or judges, there wouldn't necessarily be a suspension handed down. (Maybe a light fine, at best.) It still takes guts to make a statement like this and take a stand against reckless play. Calling out the league for it's inability to be impartial or unbalanced in it's ruling is to be commended. It's one of the things that is plaguing the league and holding it back from reaching it's potential.