11 replies to this topic

#1 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Canucks’ Mitchell criticizes head shot policy

Love this article. I didn't quote the full article.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—Canucks defenseman Willie Mitchell(notes) doesn’t like how the NHL has handled hits to the head, saying discipline was warranted for the shot that cut his season short.

“I am disappointed in the league, disappointed in Colin Campbell,” Mitchell said Thursday of the NHL vice president who handles the league’s discipline. “As we’ve seen (he’s) been very inconsistent with how he’s handled himself in those situations.”

The Canucks were eliminated from the Western Conference semifinal in six games by the Chicago Blackhawks earlier this week and were cleaning out their lockers Thursday.

Mitchell was speaking to the media for the first time since he suffered a concussion in a Jan. 16 game after a hit by Evgeni Malkin(notes) of the Pittsburgh Penguins send him head first into the boards.

He suggested Campbell has been reluctant to suspend some players because of his relationship with the NHL’s general managers and owners.

“I think the league needs to, along with our players’ union, take a look at how they run the discipline in the league,” Mitchell said. “Colin Campbell had a lot of relationships with general managers and ownership and stuff like that. It’s very tough to hand down decisions on matters like this when you are friends with people.

“It’s something the league and players need to look at, to have an outside party handle the discipline in the league (so) it’s consistent. As we’ve seen it hasn’t been very consistent.”

Neither Campbell nor NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly immediately returned e-mail messages Thursday.

#2 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Canucks’ Mitchell criticizes head shot policy

Love this article. I didn't quote the full article.

The physicality needs to stay in the game,but i don't mind trying to eliminate the brutal,spineless hits from behind.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#3 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:41 PM

ban hitting altogether please. i'm sick of this stuff

Posted Image

#4 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

Committee of former players would fix this. 5 guys (2 forwards, 2 d-men, 1 goalie) review the plays and hand out decisions.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 14 May 2010 - 12:41 AM.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

Committee of former players would fix this. 5 guys (2 forwards, 2 d-men, 1 goalie) review the plays and hand out decisions.

this is a great idea, I could definitely get on board with this.

Regardless, Campbell needs to stop handling discipline - he's a joke... he does the rest of his job well, but they need this part removed from his job description

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#6 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

this is a great idea, I could definitely get on board with this.

Regardless, Campbell needs to stop handling discipline - he's a joke... he does the rest of his job well, but they need this part removed from his job description

Campbell is a joke, and I have long thought he needs to replaced. An impartial judge would be great, but I don't know if we g\could get one.

Sorry I forgot, but that being said that was a clean hit he gave to Towes. I wish we could go back to clean hits facing no retribution, but it seems we can't with today's NHL...thanks Bettman...
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

IF any changes involving the players on a "committee" were made, it would probably have to go through the NHLPA; it could take a while.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#8 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Posted Image

Glad someone said it.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#9 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

I agree, in principle, with Mitchell's complaints, but if you look at the incident involving him, it wasn't that bad, just had unfortunate results. He wasn't hit from behind, he was hit from the side, into the boards (he was off balance). I probably would have called it boarding, but I'm sure how you would argue for a suspension out of that.

#10 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

The physicality needs to stay in the game,but i don't mind trying to eliminate the brutal,spineless hits from behind.

Some good insights concerning these issues in the "Bruise Brothers" book.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

I love huge hits, just not when it's done to a players back a foot away from the boards or when an elbow is intentionally used.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

I agree, in principle, with Mitchell's complaints, but if you look at the incident involving him, it wasn't that bad, just had unfortunate results. He wasn't hit from behind, he was hit from the side, into the boards (he was off balance). I probably would have called it boarding, but I'm sure how you would argue for a suspension out of that.

Despite the fact that the hit wasn't "that bad," and while I'm sure that if there were an impartial judge or judges, there wouldn't necessarily be a suspension handed down. (Maybe a light fine, at best.) It still takes guts to make a statement like this and take a stand against reckless play. Calling out the league for it's inability to be impartial or unbalanced in it's ruling is to be commended. It's one of the things that is plaguing the league and holding it back from reaching it's potential.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.