• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motown4013

Building a winning franchise

Rate this topic

My step son and I were driving the other day and he said "Hey Mom, if you got a new expansion team and could build your own franchise, how many Wings would be on it". The conversation went from there, so I asked him if we were A) talking about active players playing right now and B) how many spots we got to pick. We decided on a 6 man roster...1 goalie, 2 Defense, 3 forwards. We both considered past experience, playoff experience, age and possible chemistry, and explained why we chose the players we did.

We each built our 6 player rosters and I thought I would pose the question to the LGW boards to see who would take who.

My sons roster was: Miller, Chara, Doughty, OV, Sid, Malkin

Mine was as followed

Bryzgolov ( Talented guy, Still Young, Well liked in the room)

Doughty ( guy is wise beyond his years, has great puck sense and not afraid of physical play)

Keith ( great vision, terrific at both ends, plays in every situation)

Crosby (as much as it pains me, I would take Sid as he is developing into the complete player at such a young age)

Ovechkin (although he doesnt play well in his own end, he is the best sniper out there)

Zetterberg (great offensively and Defensively, plays better in the playoffs that the reg. season- the complete player IMO)

* It was very hard to decide whether to take Dats or Z as both have been Selke nominees, but in the end, I took Z for his leadership and playoff prowness.

Howard (not a homer pick, I think he has a lot of upside)

Weber

that JJ(PJ?) kid from Montreal (name escapes me... Suddan?)

Sid (I'd whip his s***ty on ice attitude into shape while I was at it) :)

Pavelski

Franzen

Edited by Broken 16

Miller

Doughty-Keith

Stamkos-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Dats and Z for their playoff experience and I would like the youth of these six for the next few years. I don't think any of these guys would be prima donnas.

Aw heck, off the top of my head I'd go with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Ovechkin (offense, defense, leadership and faceoff strength in one line)

Lidstrom (slowing down but still the best in the league)-Doughty (This kid is amazing)

Now, drumroll please for my goalie pick. This was the hardest position to pick because goalies are so freaking inconsistent. I can't pick Howard just yet because who knows what the future holds for him. So I have to go with...

Miller. I was going to pick Bryz, but I'm more of a fan of Miller and obviously both are among the absolute best in the game.

Miller

Lidstrom, Green (just cause I love the idea of Lids teaching the kid a thing or two)

Ovechkin, Datsyuk, and Oshie (strong fore and back check, face-off dominance, the dangle dangle of course, and I think Oshie is going to be a surprise in years to come.)

Miller

Doughty-Keith

Dats and Z for their playoff experience and I would like the youth of these six for the next few years. I don't think any of these guys would be prima donnas.

I almost took Stamkos over OV ....it was hard because the kid has so much potential and I love his game but Ovechkin brings the physical play. Stamkos would be hard to pass up!

Lundqvist - This guy would be scary with a real team in front of him.

Weber - That shot and his defense is legit

Doughty - Huge upside and so young but still so talented and "mature" for his age in a hockey sense.

Zetterberg - He can literally play any type of game, steps up in playoffs, great leader.

Backstrom - I have liked this kid since he entered the league. He is growing and I think he has an even bigger upside than he has shown, with or without ovechkin.

Iginla - He brings one hell of a shot, can be physical and gritty. He is also one hell of a leader. Iginla has carried his linemates before, if he were to have these type of linemates he'd be that much better.

Miller

Doughty-Keith

beat me to it. i would have a hell of a time choosing between stamkos, mike richards and toews to play with dats and Z.

the other defenseman that would push for a spot, possibly in place of the still young doughty is shea weber.

I'm relocating the Atlanta Thrashers to Plymouth, Mass. - renaming them the Pylons and wiping the slate clean. The first two contracts I take on are Jason Williams and Brian Campbell.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Short answer = NONE.

A couple of years ago maybe Datsyuk and definitely Lids.

But moving forward, there are no Wings playing any position that I can't say I couldn't find someone more appealing.

Hard to narrow it down but my team would be:

Crosby

Ovechkin

Perry

As much as I hate to say it I would take Perry as a right winger. If I'm trying to build the ultimate 1st line, you need somebody with size and some grit who can bang and play in the corners, get dirty and go hard to the net. He'd create alot of room. Sid dishing the puck all over and AO sniping Brett Hull style would be pretty unstoppable I think.

Doughty is this kid sick or what? Pretty much the #1 reason I finished in 1st place in fantasy hockey

Shea Weber/Chara Toss up, Weber is so good already but Chara is still the most imposing presence IMO. Very similar skill set and way they play. Only difference is Chara is of course 63 feet tall. :hehe:

Goal is tough too. In all honesty, I'd probably take Halak. And that's not a bandwagon thing. I've had him on my fantasy radar for years. He's actually been in their system forever and never had a losing season. Plus, he's only 25.

so....

Halak

close 2nd tie (Rinne/Quick)

Short answer = NONE.

A couple of years ago maybe Datsyuk and definitely Lids.

But moving forward, there are no Wings playing any position that I can't say I couldn't find someone more appealing.

Hard to narrow it down but my team would be:

Crosby

Ovechkin

Perry

As much as I hate to say it I would take Perry as a right winger. If I'm trying to build the ultimate 1st line, you need somebody with size and some grit who can bang and play in the corners, get dirty and go hard to the net. He'd create alot of room. Sid dishing the puck all over and AO sniping Brett Hull style would be pretty unstoppable I think.

Doughty is this kid sick or what? Pretty much the #1 reason I finished in 1st place in fantasy hockey

Shea Weber/Chara Toss up, Weber is so good already but Chara is still the most imposing presence IMO. Very similar skill set and way they play. Only difference is Chara is of course 63 feet tall. :hehe:

Goal is tough too. In all honesty, I'd probably take Halak. And that's not a bandwagon thing. I've had him on my fantasy radar for years. He's actually been in their system forever and never had a losing season. Plus, he's only 25.

so....

Halak

close 2nd tie (Rinne/Quick)

I am so glad to see Pekka Rinne get some love- He would be my back-up to Breezy. He is very underrated in the league...I had hime this year in our office pool and everyone thought I was nuts!

Fun idea, there are some really difficult decisions to make.

Parise-Toews-Nash. I considered a lot of players but I would want guys that are relatively young and can play on the power play as well as the penalty kill.

Doughty-Weber. Doughty was the easiest decision of any position all that talent and only 20! Weber is arguably the most complete defenseman in the league.

Miller. I almost went with Rask or Howard or another younger guy but then I thought about how great Mason was for Columbus last year and how awful he was this year and decided to go with someone with a bit more experience.

Parise-Crosbydry.gif -Stamkos

Keith-Doughty

Halak-Jimmy

Edit: Must give love to Hank as well. To me the best 2-way player in the game. Avatar and handle just don't make it such, the fact he shuts down everyone's top player near every game. And future Captain of the Wings, brings the leadership too.

Edited by HankthaTank

lol i couldnt stop myself....ok heres my 6, and if were going young then no Datsyuk/Zetterberg but defintly would take Howard or Rassk and if we did a whole team there would be a few more Wings i would put on my team bottom 6 (Helm,Abby)

Stamkos

Backstrom

Ovechkin

Doughty

Keith

Howard

or

Rassk