42 replies to this topic

#21 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Short answer = NONE.

A couple of years ago maybe Datsyuk and definitely Lids.

But moving forward, there are no Wings playing any position that I can't say I couldn't find someone more appealing.

Hard to narrow it down but my team would be:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Perry

As much as I hate to say it I would take Perry as a right winger. If I'm trying to build the ultimate 1st line, you need somebody with size and some grit who can bang and play in the corners, get dirty and go hard to the net. He'd create alot of room. Sid dishing the puck all over and AO sniping Brett Hull style would be pretty unstoppable I think.

Doughty is this kid sick or what? Pretty much the #1 reason I finished in 1st place in fantasy hockey
Shea Weber/Chara Toss up, Weber is so good already but Chara is still the most imposing presence IMO. Very similar skill set and way they play. Only difference is Chara is of course 63 feet tall. :hehe:

Goal is tough too. In all honesty, I'd probably take Halak. And that's not a bandwagon thing. I've had him on my fantasy radar for years. He's actually been in their system forever and never had a losing season. Plus, he's only 25.

so....

Halak
close 2nd tie (Rinne/Quick)

I am so glad to see Pekka Rinne get some love- He would be my back-up to Breezy. He is very underrated in the league...I had hime this year in our office pool and everyone thought I was nuts!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#22 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

Fun idea, there are some really difficult decisions to make.

Parise-Toews-Nash. I considered a lot of players but I would want guys that are relatively young and can play on the power play as well as the penalty kill.

Doughty-Weber. Doughty was the easiest decision of any position all that talent and only 20! Weber is arguably the most complete defenseman in the league.

Miller. I almost went with Rask or Howard or another younger guy but then I thought about how great Mason was for Columbus last year and how awful he was this year and decided to go with someone with a bit more experience.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#23 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

Legace

Lebda Meech

Devereaux J-will Lang

:ph34r:
esteef

DING DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!! :yowza: :lol:

#24 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

Parise-CrosbyPosted Image -Stamkos

Keith-Doughty

Halak-Jimmy

Edit: Must give love to Hank as well. To me the best 2-way player in the game. Avatar and handle just don't make it such, the fact he shuts down everyone's top player near every game. And future Captain of the Wings, brings the leadership too.

Edited by HankthaTank, 14 May 2010 - 03:17 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#25 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

lol i couldnt stop myself....ok heres my 6, and if were going young then no Datsyuk/Zetterberg but defintly would take Howard or Rassk and if we did a whole team there would be a few more Wings i would put on my team bottom 6 (Helm,Abby)

Stamkos
Backstrom
Ovechkin

Doughty
Keith

Howard
or
Rassk

#26 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Legace

Lebda Meech

Devereaux J-will Lang

:ph34r:
esteef

Now that's a beastly line :clap:

#27 Zenith

Zenith

Legend

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Crosby-Toews-Backstrom
Doughty-Keith
Miller

Cannot take Datsyuk and Zetterberg because they cannot even produce 80 points altough they sometimes have injury issues and Lidstrom is old.

The ZENITH of real hockey, The Detroit Red Wings

#28 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Crosby-Toews-Backstrom
Doughty-Keith
Miller

Cannot take Datsyuk and Zetterberg because they cannot even produce 80 points altough they sometimes have injury issues and Lidstrom is old.

before this past horrible injury filled season you know Datsyuk posted back to back season with 97 points right ?

#29 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

And the game is more than just points, although they do help. The advantage of having a Datsyuk or Z on your team is the all around effect they have on the ice.

#30 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Exactly Datsyuk is hands down best all round player in the league. Only if the guy would just shoot more he is a sniper.

#31 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

Zetterberg Thornton Datsyuk
Pronger Lidstrom
Miller

#32 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Toews-Stamkos-Ovechkin

Keith-Doughty

Howard

#33 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

I think mine would have to be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stamkos

Then on D:

Weber-Doughty

In net:

This one is tough, but I'm gonna take Jimmy Howard and Bryzgalov! Pekka Rinne has upside, but I just not sure he is ready to win just yet. I don't think he was all that great in the Chicago series, whereas, Howie and Bryz were great and I think more consistant.

#34 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

Building a franchise, I'd have to go with all kids, so no Wings on the short list. On a full roster I'd have Helm, Nick, maybe Hank and Howard.

Core of the team has to be the defense. Goalies are too fickle.

Doughty is a lock. Anchor of the team for the next 15 years.
Myers or Weber for the second. Another anchor and another righty. Pair each of them with a 2nd tier d-man, and that's a dominant top 4 for many years.

In goal I'd want someone young, dependable, and not going to break the bank (maybe asking too much).
Price maybe. Lehtonen? Rinne seems to fit the mold somewhat, but he could get a big payday. Halak, Rask, Howard, Ward and Fluery are other options.

For the forwards it's hard not to pick Crosby, OV, and Stamkos. All very young, all very dominant. But I also want Toews in there somewhere. And Backstrom. And, and, and... Maybe to ease the cap burden a little I do something like Crosby, Toews, and Nash. Or throw Staal in there somewhere.

Edited by Buppy, 14 May 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

Ignoring the cap, but still going with the team-building idea, my team would look something like this.

Franzen/Zetterberg/Crosby
Ovechkin/Datsyuk/Malkin
Find me two more capable scoring lines that can be put out in any situation, and I'll give you a cookie.

Kesler
/Toews/Doan
After those two scoring lines have been put together, is there a better third line you can build?

D.Sedin/H.Sedin/Getzlaf
Sedins really have to be included. and it's pretty much a given to include a dominant power forward in that third spot.

Iginla
Best forward left in terms of filling whatever role is required.

Lidstrom/Doughty
Lidstrom playing the defensive role yet still contributing so much offensively. Doughty learning defense from playing with Nick and already a monster offensively.

Weber/Keith

Weber is a solid two-way defenseman with a great physical game, and Keith is the best two-way defenseman in the league after Lidstrom.

Pronger/Chara
Defense. Size. Physical game. And they can play some offense too. But mostly around for the D game.

Kronwall
Strong at both ends, great hitter. As good a seventh defenseman as anyone else, and you want to keep a capable skill player with physical presence.

Miller
Best goalie in the league, capable of playing his best in clutch situations.

Osgood
As good a backup as you'll find, and a guy who has shown not long ago that he is more than capable of elite play under pressure.

Babcock
Best coach in the world who hasn't retired. Has coached 14 of the 22 players on the roster. Only coach in the "Triple Gold" Club.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#36 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

Wings would include Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#37 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

miller

lidstrom-keith

zetterberg-datsyuk-ovechkin

why are you picking a whole team... its supposed to be 1 goalie, 2 d, 3 forwards

Edited by magicaldatsyuk, 24 May 2010 - 09:38 AM.

"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#38 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Miller IMO best NHL goaltender right now!

Keith Probably the best youngish D-man in the game (the next guy is the best young D man in my opinion. Youngish= he is younger than me )

Doughty I wanted to take Lids but the age thing kept me back, because I am starting the Mayberry Mullets I need youth for the long Hall.

Dats - IMO Best all around Forward in the game, and I only need one of these, so Z fell off of my list, because I am a Dats guy, but choosing between them is not easy.

Ovechkin Do I really have to explain?

Crosby I don't care which of he and Dats play center, both will excel on both ends of the ice, both will create great opportunities for the rest of the team.

I almost said Hossa so we could get to the SCF, but I figured 3 times in a row is the end of his line.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#39 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

miller

lidstrom-keith

zetterberg-datsyuk-ovechkin

why are you picking a whole team... its supposed to be 1 goalie, 2 d, 3 forwards

Because picking 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goalie takes a lot less thought when you are talking about team building and a winning franchise. That's just "who are the best players?" and we have had 63-billion of those threads. An actual attempt to put together a roster which has scoring lines, checking lines, and goaltending is more difficult and fun.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#40 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

im just saying, the original poster asked for six... but i do agree its more fun
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden