No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motown4013

Building a winning franchise

Rate this topic

Crosby-Toews-Backstrom

Doughty-Keith

Miller

Cannot take Datsyuk and Zetterberg because they cannot even produce 80 points altough they sometimes have injury issues and Lidstrom is old.

Crosby-Toews-Backstrom

Doughty-Keith

Miller

Cannot take Datsyuk and Zetterberg because they cannot even produce 80 points altough they sometimes have injury issues and Lidstrom is old.

before this past horrible injury filled season you know Datsyuk posted back to back season with 97 points right ?

I think mine would have to be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stamkos

Then on D:

Weber-Doughty

In net:

This one is tough, but I'm gonna take Jimmy Howard and Bryzgalov! Pekka Rinne has upside, but I just not sure he is ready to win just yet. I don't think he was all that great in the Chicago series, whereas, Howie and Bryz were great and I think more consistant.

Building a franchise, I'd have to go with all kids, so no Wings on the short list. On a full roster I'd have Helm, Nick, maybe Hank and Howard.

Core of the team has to be the defense. Goalies are too fickle.

Doughty is a lock. Anchor of the team for the next 15 years.

Myers or Weber for the second. Another anchor and another righty. Pair each of them with a 2nd tier d-man, and that's a dominant top 4 for many years.

In goal I'd want someone young, dependable, and not going to break the bank (maybe asking too much).

Price maybe. Lehtonen? Rinne seems to fit the mold somewhat, but he could get a big payday. Halak, Rask, Howard, Ward and Fluery are other options.

For the forwards it's hard not to pick Crosby, OV, and Stamkos. All very young, all very dominant. But I also want Toews in there somewhere. And Backstrom. And, and, and... Maybe to ease the cap burden a little I do something like Crosby, Toews, and Nash. Or throw Staal in there somewhere.

Edited by Buppy

Ignoring the cap, but still going with the team-building idea, my team would look something like this.

Franzen/Zetterberg/Crosby

Ovechkin/Datsyuk/Malkin

Find me two more capable scoring lines that can be put out in any situation, and I'll give you a cookie.

Kesler/Toews/Doan

After those two scoring lines have been put together, is there a better third line you can build?

D.Sedin/H.Sedin/Getzlaf

Sedins really have to be included. and it's pretty much a given to include a dominant power forward in that third spot.

Iginla

Best forward left in terms of filling whatever role is required.

Lidstrom/Doughty

Lidstrom playing the defensive role yet still contributing so much offensively. Doughty learning defense from playing with Nick and already a monster offensively.

Weber/Keith

Weber is a solid two-way defenseman with a great physical game, and Keith is the best two-way defenseman in the league after Lidstrom.

Pronger/Chara

Defense. Size. Physical game. And they can play some offense too. But mostly around for the D game.

Kronwall

Strong at both ends, great hitter. As good a seventh defenseman as anyone else, and you want to keep a capable skill player with physical presence.

Miller

Best goalie in the league, capable of playing his best in clutch situations.

Osgood

As good a backup as you'll find, and a guy who has shown not long ago that he is more than capable of elite play under pressure.

Babcock

Best coach in the world who hasn't retired. Has coached 14 of the 22 players on the roster. Only coach in the "Triple Gold" Club.

Miller IMO best NHL goaltender right now!

Keith Probably the best youngish D-man in the game (the next guy is the best young D man in my opinion. Youngish= he is younger than me )

Doughty I wanted to take Lids but the age thing kept me back, because I am starting the Mayberry Mullets I need youth for the long Hall.

Dats - IMO Best all around Forward in the game, and I only need one of these, so Z fell off of my list, because I am a Dats guy, but choosing between them is not easy.

Ovechkin Do I really have to explain?

Crosby I don't care which of he and Dats play center, both will excel on both ends of the ice, both will create great opportunities for the rest of the team.

I almost said Hossa so we could get to the SCF, but I figured 3 times in a row is the end of his line.

miller

lidstrom-keith

zetterberg-datsyuk-ovechkin

why are you picking a whole team... its supposed to be 1 goalie, 2 d, 3 forwards

Because picking 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goalie takes a lot less thought when you are talking about team building and a winning franchise. That's just "who are the best players?" and we have had 63-billion of those threads. An actual attempt to put together a roster which has scoring lines, checking lines, and goaltending is more difficult and fun.

im just saying, the original poster asked for six... but i do agree its more fun

Fine, to pick six guys to play against any other combination of six?

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Ovechkin

Forward line that is physically capable, able to shut down star forwards, and offensively elite.

Lidstrom

Keith

Top two defensemen in the league, excellent at both ends.

Miller.

Best goalie in the world.

I would add age in as a factor, but this is based on right now, who I think would be the best six-man unit now, not in 3 years.

HM: Crosby, Doughty