• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sidney Crosby - The most hated player in the NHL

Rate this topic

that would be 100% acceptable. you know why? cause he's the closest thing in the NHL in every aspect to a former Wings great...Steve Yzerman. classy individual, plays the game the way it should be played and doesn't whine like a ***** everytime something goes the least bit wrong. that would be the best move the NHL could do.

1qB8D.jpg

I like Toews, but you are going to find something "unclassy" about practically every player in today's game.

At least he actually carries himself like a captain and plays the game with some honor... I REALLY don't want to see the Hawks win the cup, but Toews would be a drastic step up in terms of marketing... I would like to see them market Stamkos more to be honest, it just sucks he's in such a crap market...

and stamkos is the 2nd closest player to the likes of steve yzerman. not comparing greatness, just the way it seems they model their game after him and have a likeness in demeanor.

1qB8D.jpg

I like Toews, but you are going to find something "unclassy" about practically every player in today's game.

he's from winnipeg. that is what you do in winnipeg...and how is using a beer bong so unclassy? just makes it go down faster. dustin boyd is from winnipeg too, and i'll tell you first hand that kid can party pretty hard. doesn't change the way he carries himself as a person.

and atleast toews didn't pass out from 1 beer bong like cindy would.

i wonder if malkin would speak clear english if you put marbles in his mouth

his speech would then come out sounding like quebec french :yowza:

he's from winnipeg. that is what you do in winnipeg...and how is using a beer bong so unclassy? just makes it go down faster. dustin boyd is from winnipeg too, and i'll tell you first hand that kid can party pretty hard. doesn't change the way he carries himself as a person.

and atleast toews didn't pass out from 1 beer bong like cindy would.

That's not the point, he was under aged in Chicago when this picture was taken. I'm not judging or anything I could care less about what players do, I'm just saying imagine the media if Crosby got caught doing that when he was underaged in Pittsburgh?

Edited by Carman

It's not JUST about points either - Punching another guy in the junk from behind, taking all kinds of other cheapshots, not shaking hands and overall flopping around and acting like he's been shot with a shotgun over the smallest shots, just to return to the ice 2 shifts later... he portrays the game in a poor light and is a HORRIBLE role model for young players - THAT is not a face the league should market... hell, even though I can't stand him, how about Getzlaf? Even he plays the game with more honor - close to the same PPG, has a Stanley Cup, Olympic gold and is young as well... or even Bobby Ryan... my point is, there are plenty of others in the league that would represent the league better...

getzlaf is the best NHL power forward today. i hate the ducks, but he makes the team somewhat bearable. kids SHOULD have getz as a role model...even though cabbie beat him at beach hockey.

That's not the point, he was under aged in Chicago when this picture was taken. I'm not judging or anything I could care less about what players do, I'm just saying imagine the media if Crosby got caught doing that when he was underaged in Pittsburgh?

you know for sure that pic was taken in chicago?

you know for sure that pic was taken in chicago?

That's what the various reports said. But I don't know for sure your right.

Either way my point was player's in today's age have zero privacy, and it's remarkable there aren't more slip up's.

1qB8D.jpg

What's unclassy about using a bear bong?

Plus he's linemates with 20 cent so at this point he'd have to be revealed as a puppy rapist to look unclassy.

That's what the various reports said. But I don't know for sure your right.

Either way my point was player's in today's age have zero privacy, and it's remarkable there aren't more slip up's.

Find me some dirt on Stamkos. :) This game is at least an interesting diversion for the offseason.

that would be 100% acceptable. you know why? cause he's the closest thing in the NHL in every aspect to a former Wings great...Steve Yzerman. classy individual, plays the game the way it should be played and doesn't whine like a ***** everytime something goes the least bit wrong. that would be the best move the NHL could do.

I completely agree. Just wanted to add some more positive vibes for Toews here because I am sick of hearing the C-word. And frankly, I like him (Toews) even better after seeing that picture - looks like my kind of party, heh!

as much as I hate to say it, if the Hawks win the cup, I could see the NHL hitching a ride on the Toews wagon. MAYBE.

And hopefully not Kane. I've got no problem with guys like Toews or Keith on the Hawks.

I don't see how that isn't CLOSE to the same... I didn't say it WAS the same... also, when you average in ice time and supporting cast, I don't see that big of a difference as far as point total... I'm not saying Getzlaf is a better or even comparable player on skill level alone, my point is, it's not that far of a stretch...

Get Stamkos to NY and then we can really talk...

If your definition of "close" is "less than 50% difference", then okay, but I would consider 0.93ppg to not only to be "not close" to 1.36, but I'd suggest is is "signifcantly different". This is the difference between a 76pt season and a 112pt season, how are those two numbers "close"? I don't get it.

If your definition of "close" is "less than 50% difference", then okay, but I would consider 0.93ppg to not only to be "not close" to 1.36, but I'd suggest is is "signifcantly different". This is the difference between a 76pt season and a 112pt season, how are those two numbers "close"? I don't get it.

It's close because he doesn't "like" Crosby.

Ok answer this.

Which NHL player are they going to market?

Why do they have to market 1 player? There's plenty of marketable players to attract different markets, plus, people won't get annoyed hearing about the same player over and over and over. I think, imho, if there wasn't so much hype about Sidney, he probably would be better liked and respected around the league.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Unlike the majority of my posts I will keep this short. I have just 2 questions and a comment.

Can anyone help stevekrause out with numbers? He seems to have an inability to conceptualize what a vast differential there regarding the PPG argument.

Has anyone identified a meaningful reason, no matter how teeny, tiny for the existence of this glorious thread?

Cheers

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Why do they have to market 1 player? There's plenty of marketable players to attract different markets, plus, people won't get annoyed hearing about the same player over and over and over. I think, imho, if there wasn't so much hype about Sidney, he probably would be better liked and respected around the league.

Do people understand what the point of marketing is? I didn't go to marketing school or anything so maybe i'm talking out my azz here. But I would think that the goal would be the bringing in of new revenue, ie new fans.

Feel free to disagree here but if I were a non-hockey fan, I would be more likely to tune in to see what all the hype was about if I kept hearing the same thing "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY".

I highly doubt that as a non or casual fan that inundating me with a bunch of faces and names, some of which I probably couldn't even pronounce correctly, would be the best way to pique my interest.

It's the same reason why Tiger is featured more than Phil or anyone else.

It's the same reason why Lebron is featured more than Kobe or Howard, etc..

I really don't think it's all that complicated. For us true hockey fans, of course we are sick of hearing about Sid. But think about it, the NHL isn't tailoring these ads to you. You're already a fan, DUH.

He is viewed as smug, arrogant and classless... when citizens of his OWN country burn his picture, in the same year that he was on a gold medal Olympic team , I think it speaks volumes of how he is viewed by majority of NHL fans...

The NHL needs to hitch it's horse to someone else, and FAST, while it still can...

Aren't MTL fans supposed be fans of his because he's from Nova Scotia or something like that? Of course, I mean, if this isn't the playoffs.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Aren't MTL fans supposed be fans of his because he's from Nova Scotia or something like that? Of course, I mean, if this isn't the playoffs.

I think some folks are losing a bit of perspective on this whole photo of Crosby being burned.

What exactly happened there? All I know is that lots of Habs fans rioted and a butt load got arrested.

My guess? Some fan, probably some dude in his 20's, blew up a photo or grabbed a poster of Sid and it made it's way onto the bonfire. And yes, it made for an opportune photo.

Do I think for a split second that it was an anti-Crosby rally of some kind, with fans hanging 87 dolls in effigy and carrying protester signs related to 87? Or do I think it was just drunken, ecstatic Habs fans being stupid and that it had less to do with Crosby per say, than simply beating your opponent? I'm thinking the latter.

I really believe the Montreal riot was BECAUSE of the whole "Crosby is Jesus Christ on Ice" and they beat him.

Feel free to disagree here but if I were a non-hockey fan, I would be more likely to tune in to see what all the hype was about if I kept hearing the same thing "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY".

I've yet to meet ANYONE who lives in a Hockey market outside of Pittsburgh who is now an NHL fan. The whole "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY" s*** is making trouble for the entire league. It's supposed to bring IN fans, but instead, more and more fans have stopped watching hockey entirely.

Market players from a specific team in their area. When Sid is on tv more often then Luongo is in Vancouver, it's not helping. AT ALL

I've yet to meet ANYONE who lives in a Hockey market outside of Pittsburgh who is now an NHL fan. The whole "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY" s*** is making trouble for the entire league. It's supposed to bring IN fans, but instead, more and more fans have stopped watching hockey entirely.

I remember during the olympics when you had a ton of posters on here who would say, "My friend (or girlfriend) doesn't even watch hockey and they said to me, "Who the hell is that whiny looking kid? He's such a ******. Why do they keep focusing on him?" Quite a marketing strategy.

Do people understand what the point of marketing is? I didn't go to marketing school or anything so maybe i'm talking out my azz here. But I would think that the goal would be the bringing in of new revenue, ie new fans.

I highly doubt that as a non or casual fan that inundating me with a bunch of faces and names, some of which I probably couldn't even pronounce correctly, would be the best way to pique my interest.

It's the same reason why Tiger is featured more than Phil or anyone else.

It's the same reason why Lebron is featured more than Kobe or Howard, etc..

I really don't think it's all that complicated. For us true hockey fans, of course we are sick of hearing about Sid. But think about it, the NHL isn't tailoring these ads to you. You're already a fan, DUH.

Good point, and I'm not a marketing major either, I just think they would want to hype someone in each region or a rivalry type thing to peak more interest. I guess that would be up to local networks to do tho. Hockey barely gets any promotion as it is. I would just like to see more, not just more of Sidney.

Or do I think it was just drunken, ecstatic Habs fans being stupid and that it had less to do with Crosby per say, than simply beating your opponent? I'm thinking the latter.

I don't really know if it's either of those options but I doubt it's the one I quoted. I mean, did they do anything like that after they beat Ovechkin and the Caps? And it's stuff like this (

), fair or unfair, that really paints him poorly for opposing fans. Stuff like that can definitely make fans more prone to burning pictures and whatnot.

You have that image and then you have the image of Ovechkin where he celebrates a goal as if he's gained immediate access to heaven. I mean, I don't know if the Habs fans did anything like burn images of Alex and his hockey smile but I'm guessing they prefer his image.

I remember during the olympics when you had a ton of posters on here who would say, "My friend (or girlfriend) doesn't even watch hockey and they said to me, "Who the hell is that whiny looking kid? He's such a ******. Why do they keep focusing on him?" Quite a marketing strategy.

That's the fact of the matter. People who don't watch hockey think he's a ******. Marketing isn't simply about his skills. He's a whiner, a sorry excuse for a captain and a sore loser. He has no respect for the game, and he is a cheap player. He makes Ovechkin look clean by comparison.

He's got it in his head that he is a god, and he does what he wants because of it. Not a good marketing strategy to have someone people react with hatred to.

How about marketing an American player since most of the teams come from the states?

They tried. He's on the cover of NHL 10. Then he decided to go for a cab ride and cherry pick his way through the playoffs. Not all that likeable.

If you want an American player I'd probably go for Miller or Parise but they're pretty boring on the ice, fair or unfair.

They tried. He's on the cover of NHL 10. Then he decided to go for a cab ride and cherry pick his way through the playoffs. Not all that likeable.

If you want an American player I'd probably go for Miller or Parise but they're pretty boring on the ice, fair or unfair.

Well, of course, I wasn't thinking about Kane. Miller or Parise may be boring to you, however, it's the marketing dept to come up with the ideas. How about marketing Ryan Kesler? Hey, I don't know but I do identify more with an American born player than I do any other due to the fact I am an American.

I think it's about marketing more than one player. Market players from different teams. Give all the teams in the league some of that marketing revenue, instead of just the Penguins.

Phoenix would probably be doing better if they marketed Doan like they do Crosby.