• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sidney Crosby - The most hated player in the NHL

Rate this topic

So does this mean that if they are burning Pronger's picture in a couple weeks that he will be the new "Most Hated Player in the NHL"?

That is not a fair comparison. Pronger has always been hated in the NHL. :P

Crosby is among the one or two best, if not the best player in the NHL, and a Canadian boy. It's not surprising that the league would be marketing the hell out of him.

It's just unfortunate that he has tendencies to be such a little *****. And no I don't think he's a cheapshot artist or any of the other ridiculous claims made in this thread. Many of them are somewhat minor, but he just does these things that make him hard to like and strike me as a lack of maturity, even for his young age.

Skipping the handshake after winning the Cup. Rarely if ever giving his opponent credit in post game interviews.

At least he moved out of Mario's basement. He needs to go by Sid instead of Sidney, pay attention to the great leaders of the game past and present, and start acting like more of a man. And I'm not talking about growing a beard.

Agreed. That's the thing with Crosby, no one can deny he's a great player, it's how he acts that makes him so hated! Add to that how he's marketed and it explains the "Crosby sucks" chants.

It's the media's fault that Crosby didn't notice or think of the handshake ritual that happens after every series ending game?? Every captain or star player is mobbed after the Cup winning game.

But no captain is asked about his victory by reporters seconds after the game is over other than Crosby. It just didn't happen.

Its not exactly a new phenomenon. And how exactly do you not notice 40 guys lining up at center ice?

I don't know, you aren't looking that way? You are paying attention to the guy giving an interview?

Honestly, you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby, just because he can, decided not to shake Lidstrom's hand after WINNING? How much do you have to hate Crosby to make that statement?

But no captain is asked about his victory by reporters seconds after the game is over other than Crosby. It just didn't happen.

I don't know, you aren't looking that way? You are paying attention to the guy giving an interview?

Honestly, you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby, just because he can, decided not to shake Lidstrom's hand after WINNING? How much do you have to hate Crosby to make that statement?

The moral of the story is that Crosby does not acknowledge other teams and players. This is why it is never the other team playing hard or the other teams goalie (Halak) standing on his head that won the game for them. It is what the Pens didn't do and lucky bounces and and bad breaks and other crap like that. I DO believe he DID NOT go to the handshake line ON PURPOSE (because he is immature) and knew the legions of bandwagon riders such as yourself would then make up excuses for him while he played opossum while over with the reporters. Thanks for proving him right.

I would like to personally thank the Habs for single-handedly destroying the ratings of the NHL Finals for Gary Bettman, Versus and NBC after defeating both the ****** bag poster-boys for the NHL. Even though the Wings departed early, I will now continue to watch the finals without having to see either of them. Kudos and good luck my Canadian brethren.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't know, you should ask Crosby though. He managed to.

I think we both know that Sidney has had little to do with leading (motivational, not points) the team to where it's been from his posh basement apartment he used to have.

Ok answer this.

Which NHL player are they going to market?

Crosby has over 500 points before he is 23, career 1.3 PPG in the post season, a Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, Hart trophy, Lester etc.

Just on those accomplishments alone he's going to be marketed, not to mention the fact that he portrays himself as mildly as a cucumber to the media.

Stamkos will get his attention soon enough, but there aren't a lot of players that are in the top 3 of scoring perennially like Crosby and Ovechkin have since they've been in the league.

Maybe if Datsyuk, Malkin, Parise etc. followed up their performances 2 years ago they would be included with Ovechkin/Crosby but they didn't. It's clear that Ovechkin/Crosby are far and away are consistently two of the best players year in year out.

The face of the NHL has to be CANADIAN. Duh. No Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, etc. As far as the stats, they were marketing the dick head before he scored anything because of his age and nationality.

The moral of the story is that Crosby does not acknowledge other teams and players. This is why it is never the other team playing hard or the other teams goalie (Halak) standing on his head that won the game for them. It is what the Pens didn't do and lucky bounces and and bad breaks and other crap like that. I DO believe he DID NOT go to the handshake line ON PURPOSE (because he is immature) and knew the legions of bandwagon riders such as yourself would then make up excuses for him while he played opossum while over with the reporters. Thanks for proving him right.

I would like to personally thank the Habs for single-handedly destroying the ratings of the NHL Finals for Gary Bettman, Versus and NBC after defeating both the ****** bag poster-boys for the NHL. Even though the Wings departed early, I will now continue to watch the finals without having to see either of them. Kudos and good luck my Canadian brethren.

Well said. He doesn't show any respect for other players. That is why I hate the little prick. I have never heard him credit the other team EVER. I wish somebody would show me a video clip where he credits the opponent. I have never seen it.

Well, after he remarks he made about Lidstrom and Datsyuk during that whole ASG weekend debacle (basically implying that Lidstrom was faking his tendinitis, saying that the suspension was their own fault, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me. Kid doesn't think much of his fellow players unless they're on his team.

Guest Lidstromboli

Well, after he remarks he made about Lidstrom and Datsyuk during that whole ASG weekend debacle (basically implying that Lidstrom was faking his tendinitis, saying that the suspension was their own fault, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me. Kid doesn't think much of his fellow players unless they're on his team.

how did you come to that conclusion? i bet it was a logical thought process ;)

The thing with Crosby and the handshake line is that he may not have intentionally ignored the line, but the fact that he's been so insulated by the press and the league that it never occurred to him to seek out the line or tell the media to hold on a second. It was just general oversight and arrogance of both the media and Crosby to not even consider there might be something more important to do. Both simply ignored the other team.

And I concur with the argument that Crosby never gives other teams any credit.

I don't think Crosby ignored the hand shake on purpose, I think he just forgot and got caught up in winning the Stanley Cup, since he's young. His actions on the ice proves he still needs to grow up as a player. Some one like Guerin or Gonchar should have taken the lead, got the team together, and started shaking hands with the Wings.

I've never been a fan of the hand shakes after games anyway, personally I wouldn't be upset if they did away with it. Just let the losing team get off the ice as quickly as they can. There's way too much emotion involved in a best of 7 series to all of a sudden have to shake the other team's hand.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't the Canadiens get better tv ratings than Pittsburgh, even in the USA?

Pittsburgh has been to the conference finals the last two years, so they're not going to draw any new fans. Current Hockey fans, outside Pittsburgh, will do something else than watch another Crosby love in by tv. Montreal would create more interest in Hockey fans.

I know I have more interest in watching Montreal than Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh advanced, I have better things to do; Montreal made it, so I'm interested!

I actually don't hate Crosby, unlike a lot of people here. In most of the bashing threads, I'm usually painted as a slappy because I don't contribute to the blind hate.

And I never said he consciously decided not to. Way back when it happened, I was pointing out to people that Chelios intentionally skipped the handshake line when the Wings lost to the Ducks in the conference finals, but he got a free pass for it. My point was that Crosby has these string of missteps that sort of contribute to his aura of douchiness.

He's a great player and most of the hatred he gets is completely unfounded. But he comes off as just a little ***** sometimes, which makes him pretty easy to hate. Ovechkin has a much greater track record of questionable incidents, on and off the ice, but gets cut a lot more slack because of his personality.

In the list of irritations, Crosby not shaking hands ranks pretty low. It's just a small sign of his immaturity that he didn't even think to shake hands, no matter who was interviewing him. I understand why they did it, but honestly I think Crosby was given the C while he was too young.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't the Canadiens get better tv ratings than Pittsburgh, even in the USA?

Pittsburgh has been to the conference finals the last two years, so they're not going to draw any new fans. Current Hockey fans, outside Pittsburgh, will do something else than watch another Crosby love in by tv. Montreal would create more interest in Hockey fans.

I know I have more interest in watching Montreal than Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh advanced, I have better things to do; Montreal made it, so I'm interested!

Real hockey fans hate Crosby for what he is, a whiny ***** of a person and poor role model for everyone, who just happens to excel at hockey. If he would keep his mouth shut, cut the cheap crap on the ice, and recognize that there are any other teams even in the NHL on the ice with them, then he would be great. Instead, we would rather watch any other person than him. The NHL is pandering to those who do not regularly watch nor understand hockey, but think it is cool because it is catching on. This is why we have Crosby, 10+ goal games, and shootouts.

Real hockey fans hate Crosby for what he is, a whiny ***** of a person and poor role model for everyone, who just happens to excel at hockey. If he would keep his mouth shut, cut the cheap crap on the ice, and recognize that there are any other teams even in the NHL on the ice with them, then he would be great. Instead, we would rather watch any other person than him. The NHL is pandering to those who do not regularly watch nor understand hockey, but think it is cool because it is catching on. This is why we have Crosby, 10+ goal games, and shootouts.

I'll take exception to this statement. Saying other people aren't "real hockey fans" is just a lame excuse instead of just facing the fact that other people have a different opinion on the representation of a player that practically no one here has a direct connection to in the real world.

If you think I don't understand hockey because I happen to enjoy watching a hockey player rack up 500 points before he's 22 then you are strongly mistaken.

Edited by Carman

I'll take exception to this statement. Saying other people aren't "real hockey fans" is just a lame excuse instead of just facing the fact that other people have a different opinion on the representation of a player that practically no one here has a direct connection to in the real world.

If you think I don't understand hockey because I happen to enjoy watching a hockey player rack up 500 points before he's 22 then you are strongly mistaken.

Man, you must not be a hockey fan then.

I broke Crosby's visor once.

With a brick?

Hockey has been the Black Sheep of the sporting world in the US. They have looked for ways to get new viewers and this was the answer. A high scoring poster-boy everyone loves to hate that they shove down your throats. Like a David Beckham of hockey. Is it coincidence that scoring has gone through the roof over the last 10 years. No. People don't want to see tight games that end in 2-1 or for that matter 1-1. So they continue to pander to those people who never loved hockey in the first place and continue to change the setting and rules on the existing fans of the game. Shootouts anyone? Ovi-rated and Cindy draw viewers. That is why the 2011 Winter Classic is again with Pittsburgh and not one of the many other teams that are waiting for their frozen chance. Bury your head in the sand if you like, but Crosby is just part of the big corporate machine. Take him out of the equation and Hockey drops right back down in the ratings scale below water polo. It's a shame but it is true.

Read this for fun. Circa 2006.

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2006/05/17/15645/

I'll let you guess who fills the shoes of the "Controversy part".

Hockey has been the Black Sheep of the sporting world in the US. They have looked for ways to get new viewers and this was the answer. A high scoring poster-boy everyone loves to hate that they shove down your throats. Like a David Beckham of hockey. Is it coincidence that scoring has gone through the roof over the last 10 years. No. People don't want to see tight games that end in 2-1 or for that matter 1-1. So they continue to pander to those people who never loved hockey in the first place and continue to change the setting and rules on the existing fans of the game. Shootouts anyone? Ovi-rated and Cindy draw viewers. That is why the 2011 Winter Classic is again with Pittsburgh and not one of the many other teams that are waiting for their frozen chance. Bury your head in the sand if you like, but Crosby is just part of the big corporate machine. Take him out of the equation and Hockey drops right back down in the ratings scale below water polo. It's a shame but it is true.

Read this for fun. Circa 2006.

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2006/05/17/15645/

I'll let you guess who fills the shoes of the "Controversy part".

I fail to see the problem with most of the points you've made. The scoring is not even close to what it was in the mid 80's early 90's.

The game has to evolve rule wise, I really don't have an issue with the game itself besides the hooking penalties and shootouts so I understand where you're coming from. But you have to make sacrifices to insure a future product, a league isn't just going to survive on past models/success. Hockey is growing as a sport, and in order to grow you have to adjust the game. Every sport has had to change, hockey is not going to be any different.

Marketing is about creating and promoting to new fans, not to cater to the fan that has been watching his whole life. And the league needs new fans in order to grow and be successful, it seems to me a necessary "evil". As long as they don't completely change the on-ice product(ban fighting etc.) I'm ok with almost anything they do to get new fans.

I don't get why people hate the new "bandwagon" fans. As a fan you have to start off at some point, and even though they may be annoying there is still a chance as the season's go by that they will learn the nuances and tradition of the game and become great and loyal fans. And to me that's what a "marketing" campaign should do.

Is it coincidence that scoring has gone through the roof over the last 10 years. No.

Scoring has gone through the roof? Have a missed out on when that happened?

2006 - 7 players with 100+ pt. seasons, leader = 125pts

2007 - 7 players with 100+ pt. seasons, leader = 120pts

2008 - 2 players with 100+ pt. seasons, leader = 112pts

2009 - 3 players with 100+ pt. seasons, leader = 113pts

2010 - 4 players with 100+ pt. seasons, leader = 112pts

This is not a heck of a lot different than where we were 10 years ago and a hell of lot worse in terms of scoring than where the NHL was even less than 15 years ago.