• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Aren't MTL fans supposed be fans of his because he's from Nova Scotia or something like that? Of course, I mean, if this isn't the playoffs.

I think some folks are losing a bit of perspective on this whole photo of Crosby being burned.

What exactly happened there? All I know is that lots of Habs fans rioted and a butt load got arrested.

My guess? Some fan, probably some dude in his 20's, blew up a photo or grabbed a poster of Sid and it made it's way onto the bonfire. And yes, it made for an opportune photo.

Do I think for a split second that it was an anti-Crosby rally of some kind, with fans hanging 87 dolls in effigy and carrying protester signs related to 87? Or do I think it was just drunken, ecstatic Habs fans being stupid and that it had less to do with Crosby per say, than simply beating your opponent? I'm thinking the latter.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#42 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

I really believe the Montreal riot was BECAUSE of the whole "Crosby is Jesus Christ on Ice" and they beat him.

Feel free to disagree here but if I were a non-hockey fan, I would be more likely to tune in to see what all the hype was about if I kept hearing the same thing "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY".

I've yet to meet ANYONE who lives in a Hockey market outside of Pittsburgh who is now an NHL fan. The whole "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY" s*** is making trouble for the entire league. It's supposed to bring IN fans, but instead, more and more fans have stopped watching hockey entirely.

Market players from a specific team in their area. When Sid is on tv more often then Luongo is in Vancouver, it's not helping. AT ALL

#43 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

I've yet to meet ANYONE who lives in a Hockey market outside of Pittsburgh who is now an NHL fan. The whole "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY" s*** is making trouble for the entire league. It's supposed to bring IN fans, but instead, more and more fans have stopped watching hockey entirely.

I remember during the olympics when you had a ton of posters on here who would say, "My friend (or girlfriend) doesn't even watch hockey and they said to me, "Who the hell is that whiny looking kid? He's such a ******. Why do they keep focusing on him?" Quite a marketing strategy.

#44 Spinner

Spinner

4th line spectator

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

Do people understand what the point of marketing is? I didn't go to marketing school or anything so maybe i'm talking out my azz here. But I would think that the goal would be the bringing in of new revenue, ie new fans.

Feel free to disagree here but if I were a non-hockey fan, I would be more likely to tune in to see what all the hype was about if I kept hearing the same thing "CROSBY, CROSBY, CROSBY".

I highly doubt that as a non or casual fan that inundating me with a bunch of faces and names, some of which I probably couldn't even pronounce correctly, would be the best way to pique my interest.

It's the same reason why Tiger is featured more than Phil or anyone else.
It's the same reason why Lebron is featured more than Kobe or Howard, etc..

I really don't think it's all that complicated. For us true hockey fans, of course we are sick of hearing about Sid. But think about it, the NHL isn't tailoring these ads to you. You're already a fan, DUH.

Good point, and I'm not a marketing major either, I just think they would want to hype someone in each region or a rivalry type thing to peak more interest. I guess that would be up to local networks to do tho. Hockey barely gets any promotion as it is. I would just like to see more, not just more of Sidney.
He found the key to success 4 hours before he found the hole in his pocket.

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

How about marketing an American player since most of the teams come from the states?

#46 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Or do I think it was just drunken, ecstatic Habs fans being stupid and that it had less to do with Crosby per say, than simply beating your opponent? I'm thinking the latter.

I don't really know if it's either of those options but I doubt it's the one I quoted. I mean, did they do anything like that after they beat Ovechkin and the Caps? And it's stuff like this ( ), fair or unfair, that really paints him poorly for opposing fans. Stuff like that can definitely make fans more prone to burning pictures and whatnot.

You have that image and then you have the image of Ovechkin where he celebrates a goal as if he's gained immediate access to heaven. I mean, I don't know if the Habs fans did anything like burn images of Alex and his hockey smile but I'm guessing they prefer his image.

#47 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

I remember during the olympics when you had a ton of posters on here who would say, "My friend (or girlfriend) doesn't even watch hockey and they said to me, "Who the hell is that whiny looking kid? He's such a ******. Why do they keep focusing on him?" Quite a marketing strategy.

That's the fact of the matter. People who don't watch hockey think he's a ******. Marketing isn't simply about his skills. He's a whiner, a sorry excuse for a captain and a sore loser. He has no respect for the game, and he is a cheap player. He makes Ovechkin look clean by comparison.

He's got it in his head that he is a god, and he does what he wants because of it. Not a good marketing strategy to have someone people react with hatred to.

#48 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

How about marketing an American player since most of the teams come from the states?

They tried. He's on the cover of NHL 10. Then he decided to go for a cab ride and cherry pick his way through the playoffs. Not all that likeable.

If you want an American player I'd probably go for Miller or Parise but they're pretty boring on the ice, fair or unfair.

#49 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

They tried. He's on the cover of NHL 10. Then he decided to go for a cab ride and cherry pick his way through the playoffs. Not all that likeable.

If you want an American player I'd probably go for Miller or Parise but they're pretty boring on the ice, fair or unfair.

Well, of course, I wasn't thinking about Kane. Miller or Parise may be boring to you, however, it's the marketing dept to come up with the ideas. How about marketing Ryan Kesler? Hey, I don't know but I do identify more with an American born player than I do any other due to the fact I am an American.

#50 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

I think it's about marketing more than one player. Market players from different teams. Give all the teams in the league some of that marketing revenue, instead of just the Penguins.

Phoenix would probably be doing better if they marketed Doan like they do Crosby.

#51 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

I think it's about marketing more than one player. Market players from different teams. Give all the teams in the league some of that marketing revenue, instead of just the Penguins.

Phoenix would probably be doing better if they marketed Doan like they do Crosby.

The NHL probably thinks they've struck gold with C-Word and Ovechkin. In their minds they probably imagine that in comparison to the NBA's progress, which is what Bettman wants it seems, it's as if they have Jordan and Kobe come into the game at the same age. They're going to continue to go about this way and time well tell whether or not that approach is simply outdated for public appeal.

#52 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well, of course, I wasn't thinking about Kane. Miller or Parise may be boring to you, however, it's the marketing dept to come up with the ideas. How about marketing Ryan Kesler? Hey, I don't know but I do identify more with an American born player than I do any other due to the fact I am an American.

Ryan Kesler wonldn't work - playing for Vancouver and all.

#53 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

I would have to agree with you there. Why does it have to be one player? I mean I identify with the Wings, etc.

#54 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Well, actually, I'm a hockey fan first. I meant boring in the general public sense. I should've clarified that. I mean, I acknowledge that guys like Lidstrom are "boring" but I feel entertained when I focus on him and see the little things he does that aren't very flashy. The hockey fan in me would absolutely love to see Miller and Parise get more marketing time. But the business side of me has to acknowledge that those guys don't seem to think too much about national attention or selling the game. They just want to play the game they love and win. I wish that would be appealing enough to the general public but apparently it's not. They want a burning image.

I identify with players that I wish I could play like. When I watch Henrik Zetterberg at the top of his game I truly think to myself, "Man... That guy is all determination. He's affecting the game everywhere he goes. That's how I want to play." You could say the same about Datsyuk but I myself am in so much awe of his play that I can't even imagine what it would be like to have his ability.

#55 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

The things that Dats , Lids, and Z do to me are(understatement of the millenium coming) very overlooked. But as a hockey fan first I must say its not at all shocking. Canadian sport. Russian and Swedish players, says it all and has been said sooooo often. Just rings true evermore every single year through the continuous replays of what Skid Mark has done. The constant threads about this tool is definitely tiring but there will be more and more coming so it is what it is. All we can do is sit back and watch the show our boys put on every night. Cannot stop thinking about next season.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#56 Zenith

Zenith

Legend

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

I do not like Crosby at all but he is hated because he is damn talented kid. The hatred on Crosby is not wrong but give him at least some credit; this reminds me when I was a very young kid who hated Patrick Roy a lot but at least I respected his performance on the ice.

The ZENITH of real hockey, The Detroit Red Wings

#57 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

I do not like Crosby at all but he is hated because he is damn talented kid. The hatred on Crosby is not wrong but give him at least some credit; this reminds me when I was a very young kid who hated Patrick Roy a lot but at least I respected his performance on the ice.

I do admire his talent but he makes it very difficult to do so with even when I have my Wings goggles off (very rarely) he is just constantly bitching with that one face he makes and the continual dives. Too much of the whining for him to get any respect.

Plus, not shaking one of the game's best defenseman and downright perfect human, Nick Lidstrom's hand? Yep 'nuff said.

Edited by HankthaTank, 14 May 2010 - 04:14 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#58 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

I told myself that I wouldn't believe in any Crosby hatred until 1000 stupid threads about him surface on LGW. Almost there...

#59 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

I would 100% prefer Jordan Staal to Crosby. Beacon of - oh god, I'm gonna use a dirty word on LGW - class(!!!)on a team full of cheapshooters, divers, crybabies and primadonnas. If only we could switch to J. Staal... he reminds me (personality wise) of the new coach in Pitts, who really comes off (to me, at least)as fair and level headed.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#60 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Does the NFL market just one player?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."