• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

I don't think the NHL will stop marketing Cindy as the face of the league anytime soon.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#62 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Does the NFL market just one player?

esteef

Peyton Manning.

#63 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Peyton Manning.

To be followed by....

Matthew Stafford Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#64 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Peyton Manning.

Please, you ever heard of Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Brian Urlacher, Ocho-butthole, TO, Reggie Bush, etc, etc, etc...?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#65 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Please, you ever heard of Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Brian Urlacher, Ocho-butthole, TO, Reggie Bush, etc, etc, etc...?

esteef

You are naming big name players not the most marketed. Peyton Manning does like 235236 commercials a year. So you posed the question. Peyton Manning is definitely the most marketable/marketed player in the NFL.

#66 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

You are naming big name players not the most marketed. Peyton Manning does like 235236 commercials a year. So you posed the question. Peyton Manning is definitely the most marketable/marketed player in the NFL.

Brett Favre didn't do commercials? Or Urlacher? Or Reggie Bush? I agree Peyton may have the most, but it's not like Crosby and the NHL.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#67 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

Brett Favre didn't do commercials? Or Urlacher? Or Reggie Bush? I agree Peyton may have the most, but it's not like Crosby and the NHL.

esteef

Yes, and maybe commercials wasn't the best way to make the point. But the infatuation and the coverage with Manning when he gets to the Super Bowl, loses, has an injury of some kind, or as some have put on here "takes a dump" surpasses all of these guys you have brought up. Possibly excluding Favre but this is also an American game. Tough to compare but I did my best haha.

#68 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

So does this mean that if they are burning Pronger's picture in a couple weeks that he will be the new "Most Hated Player in the NHL"?

I guess I didn't realize that a handful of scrubs in Montreal spoke for the entire NHL fan base.

Edited by Broken 16, 14 May 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#69 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

I remember during the olympics when you had a ton of posters on here who would say, "My friend (or girlfriend) doesn't even watch hockey and they said to me, "Who the hell is that whiny looking kid? He's such a ******. Why do they keep focusing on him?" Quite a marketing strategy.

I'll concur with that. My wife doesn't follow hockey but even she hates Crosby.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#70 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Sidney Crosby - Making LGWers argue amongst each other until the day they day from arguing too much.

#71 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Another anti-Crosby thread?

How 'bout we start another enforcer thread too :lol:

Sidney Crosby - Making LGWers argue amongst each other until the day they day from arguing too much.

Your way off Jack...The enforcer threads are way better for LGW members going at each others throats ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#72 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

So does this mean that if they are burning Pronger's picture in a couple weeks that he will be the new "Most Hated Player in the NHL"?

Posted Image Isn't he adorable?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#73 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm a Blackhawks hater but they do have one player I like: Toews.

He's a great player, underrated - especially during the olympics. He was arguably Canada's best player. He has a great attitude, doesn't place blame on anyone unlike Crosby. A silent leader, also a very charitable guy... The fact that he wears #19 and idolized Yzerman says alot too.

Make him the new face of the NHL... People wouldn't mind believe me.

Just get captain pubestache off the ledger.
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#74 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

He's a great player, underrated - especially during the olympics. He was arguably Canada's best player.

No arguably about it for me. He racked up a lot of points and pluses for being the third line center. He was clutch.

#75 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

He's a great player, underrated - especially during the olympics. He was arguably Canada's best player. He has a great attitude, doesn't place blame on anyone unlike Crosby. A silent leader, also a very charitable guy... The fact that he wears #19 and idolized Yzerman says alot too.

THIS... Well said. And agreed with Toews. Granted everyone hated the Wings but that was consistent opinion of Stevie was that he was just one of if not THE greatest Captain in the sport's history. I hate Chicago but Toews certainly has my respect. He plays the right way and can kill a penalty or two. All of which Skid Mark cannot.

#76 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

The NEW face of the NHL..... Jonathan "Man-Bear-Pig" Teows!

Posted Image

EDIT: BTW, I am also a big Teows fan... Chicago doesn't deserve him but I couldn't pass this up.

Edited by The Secret, 14 May 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#77 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

The NEW face of the NHL..... Jonathan "Man-Bear-Pig" Teows!

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#78 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

He is viewed as smug, arrogant and classless... when citizens of his OWN country burn his picture, in the same year that he was on a gold medal Olympic team , I think it speaks volumes of how he is viewed by majority of NHL fans...

The NHL needs to hitch it's horse to someone else, and FAST, while it still can...

Your basing this off a city that loots and riots when their team wins a conference semi-final?
Not a conference final, not a Stanley Cup but a semi-final?

Freud would have a field day around this joint. It's bordering on irrational. So are Montreal fans by the way.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#79 Autika

Autika

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

to clarify, I have no problem with Toews being marketed, I have a problem with the Hawks winning the cup. I'm a little bitter still.

#80 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

That's the general point... the picked the wrong guy... I think Ovechkin would be, if it weren't for the language barrier... but they need to choose a new "face"

Could it be that the league views his crybaby antics as a plus?

Often times, it seems that class acts are overlooked in sports in favor of the more vocal or controversial characters.

Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, etc.