• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Here's more examples. Not even including the ones this year.

I don't know why either have a C on their chest. I've stated many times I think Sid was too young for the position (which would make Ovie too young). Yzerman was made a captain too young by the same standard.

How can a 18/19/22 yr old be expected to lead a 35+yr old veteran into a playoff game, regardless of talent?

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 15 May 2010 - 05:31 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#102 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

I don't know why either have a C on their chest. I've stated many times I think Sid was too young for the position (which would make Ovie too young). Yzerman was made a captain too young by the same standard.

How can a 18/19/22 yr old be expected to lead a 35+yr old veteran into a playoff game, regardless of talent?

I don't know, you should ask Crosby though. He managed to.

#103 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

So does this mean that if they are burning Pronger's picture in a couple weeks that he will be the new "Most Hated Player in the NHL"?

That is not a fair comparison. Pronger has always been hated in the NHL. :P
All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#104 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Crosby is among the one or two best, if not the best player in the NHL, and a Canadian boy. It's not surprising that the league would be marketing the hell out of him.

It's just unfortunate that he has tendencies to be such a little *****. And no I don't think he's a cheapshot artist or any of the other ridiculous claims made in this thread. Many of them are somewhat minor, but he just does these things that make him hard to like and strike me as a lack of maturity, even for his young age.

Skipping the handshake after winning the Cup. Rarely if ever giving his opponent credit in post game interviews.

At least he moved out of Mario's basement. He needs to go by Sid instead of Sidney, pay attention to the great leaders of the game past and present, and start acting like more of a man. And I'm not talking about growing a beard.

Agreed. That's the thing with Crosby, no one can deny he's a great player, it's how he acts that makes him so hated! Add to that how he's marketed and it explains the "Crosby sucks" chants.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#105 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

It's the media's fault that Crosby didn't notice or think of the handshake ritual that happens after every series ending game?? Every captain or star player is mobbed after the Cup winning game.

But no captain is asked about his victory by reporters seconds after the game is over other than Crosby. It just didn't happen.

Its not exactly a new phenomenon. And how exactly do you not notice 40 guys lining up at center ice?

I don't know, you aren't looking that way? You are paying attention to the guy giving an interview?

Honestly, you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby, just because he can, decided not to shake Lidstrom's hand after WINNING? How much do you have to hate Crosby to make that statement?

Posted Image

#106 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

But no captain is asked about his victory by reporters seconds after the game is over other than Crosby. It just didn't happen.

I don't know, you aren't looking that way? You are paying attention to the guy giving an interview?

Honestly, you honestly believe that Sidney Crosby, just because he can, decided not to shake Lidstrom's hand after WINNING? How much do you have to hate Crosby to make that statement?

The moral of the story is that Crosby does not acknowledge other teams and players. This is why it is never the other team playing hard or the other teams goalie (Halak) standing on his head that won the game for them. It is what the Pens didn't do and lucky bounces and and bad breaks and other crap like that. I DO believe he DID NOT go to the handshake line ON PURPOSE (because he is immature) and knew the legions of bandwagon riders such as yourself would then make up excuses for him while he played opossum while over with the reporters. Thanks for proving him right.

I would like to personally thank the Habs for single-handedly destroying the ratings of the NHL Finals for Gary Bettman, Versus and NBC after defeating both the ****** bag poster-boys for the NHL. Even though the Wings departed early, I will now continue to watch the finals without having to see either of them. Kudos and good luck my Canadian brethren.
All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#107 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

I don't know, you should ask Crosby though. He managed to.

I think we both know that Sidney has had little to do with leading (motivational, not points) the team to where it's been from his posh basement apartment he used to have.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#108 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Ok answer this.

Which NHL player are they going to market?

Crosby has over 500 points before he is 23, career 1.3 PPG in the post season, a Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, Hart trophy, Lester etc.

Just on those accomplishments alone he's going to be marketed, not to mention the fact that he portrays himself as mildly as a cucumber to the media.

Stamkos will get his attention soon enough, but there aren't a lot of players that are in the top 3 of scoring perennially like Crosby and Ovechkin have since they've been in the league.

Maybe if Datsyuk, Malkin, Parise etc. followed up their performances 2 years ago they would be included with Ovechkin/Crosby but they didn't. It's clear that Ovechkin/Crosby are far and away are consistently two of the best players year in year out.

The face of the NHL has to be CANADIAN. Duh. No Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, etc. As far as the stats, they were marketing the **** head before he scored anything because of his age and nationality.

The moral of the story is that Crosby does not acknowledge other teams and players. This is why it is never the other team playing hard or the other teams goalie (Halak) standing on his head that won the game for them. It is what the Pens didn't do and lucky bounces and and bad breaks and other crap like that. I DO believe he DID NOT go to the handshake line ON PURPOSE (because he is immature) and knew the legions of bandwagon riders such as yourself would then make up excuses for him while he played opossum while over with the reporters. Thanks for proving him right.

I would like to personally thank the Habs for single-handedly destroying the ratings of the NHL Finals for Gary Bettman, Versus and NBC after defeating both the ****** bag poster-boys for the NHL. Even though the Wings departed early, I will now continue to watch the finals without having to see either of them. Kudos and good luck my Canadian brethren.

Well said. He doesn't show any respect for other players. That is why I hate the little prick. I have never heard him credit the other team EVER. I wish somebody would show me a video clip where he credits the opponent. I have never seen it.
Do or do not. There is no try

#109 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

Well, after he remarks he made about Lidstrom and Datsyuk during that whole ASG weekend debacle (basically implying that Lidstrom was faking his tendinitis, saying that the suspension was their own fault, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me. Kid doesn't think much of his fellow players unless they're on his team.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#110 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Crosby's a pooper scooper.

*shrugs*

#111 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Crosby's a pooper scooper.

*shrugs*

No wonder he smells. ;)

#112 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

Well, after he remarks he made about Lidstrom and Datsyuk during that whole ASG weekend debacle (basically implying that Lidstrom was faking his tendinitis, saying that the suspension was their own fault, etc.), it wouldn't surprise me. Kid doesn't think much of his fellow players unless they're on his team.

how did you come to that conclusion? i bet it was a logical thought process ;)

Posted Image

#113 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

That is not a fair comparison. Pronger has always been hated in the NHL. :P

Who knows... maybe they'll be burning a picture of Leino. :ph34r:

#114 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

The thing with Crosby and the handshake line is that he may not have intentionally ignored the line, but the fact that he's been so insulated by the press and the league that it never occurred to him to seek out the line or tell the media to hold on a second. It was just general oversight and arrogance of both the media and Crosby to not even consider there might be something more important to do. Both simply ignored the other team.

And I concur with the argument that Crosby never gives other teams any credit.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#115 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

I don't think Crosby ignored the hand shake on purpose, I think he just forgot and got caught up in winning the Stanley Cup, since he's young. His actions on the ice proves he still needs to grow up as a player. Some one like Guerin or Gonchar should have taken the lead, got the team together, and started shaking hands with the Wings.

I've never been a fan of the hand shakes after games anyway, personally I wouldn't be upset if they did away with it. Just let the losing team get off the ice as quickly as they can. There's way too much emotion involved in a best of 7 series to all of a sudden have to shake the other team's hand.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#116 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Call me crazy, but wouldn't the Canadiens get better tv ratings than Pittsburgh, even in the USA?

Pittsburgh has been to the conference finals the last two years, so they're not going to draw any new fans. Current Hockey fans, outside Pittsburgh, will do something else than watch another Crosby love in by tv. Montreal would create more interest in Hockey fans.

I know I have more interest in watching Montreal than Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh advanced, I have better things to do; Montreal made it, so I'm interested!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#117 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Still talking about that stupid handshake 'incident' a year later? Wow. People still care?

#118 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

Still talking about that stupid handshake 'incident' a year later? Wow. People still care?

Yea I forgot about it until I read the replies here.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#119 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

f***'um

#120 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

I actually don't hate Crosby, unlike a lot of people here. In most of the bashing threads, I'm usually painted as a slappy because I don't contribute to the blind hate.

And I never said he consciously decided not to. Way back when it happened, I was pointing out to people that Chelios intentionally skipped the handshake line when the Wings lost to the Ducks in the conference finals, but he got a free pass for it. My point was that Crosby has these string of missteps that sort of contribute to his aura of douchiness.

He's a great player and most of the hatred he gets is completely unfounded. But he comes off as just a little ***** sometimes, which makes him pretty easy to hate. Ovechkin has a much greater track record of questionable incidents, on and off the ice, but gets cut a lot more slack because of his personality.

In the list of irritations, Crosby not shaking hands ranks pretty low. It's just a small sign of his immaturity that he didn't even think to shake hands, no matter who was interviewing him. I understand why they did it, but honestly I think Crosby was given the C while he was too young.