• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VladyIBELIEVE16

Wings Sign forward Mitchell Callahan

Rate this topic

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529180

Friday, 05.14.2010 / 2:09 PM / News By Todd Beam - Media Relations Manager DETROIT -- The Red Wings announced today that the club has signed forward Mitchell Callahan to a three-year entry level contract. In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Callahan, 18, was Detroit’s sixth round draft pick (180th overall) in the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft. The Whittier, California native spent the past two seasons playing with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League. In 2009-10, he posted 47 points (20-27-47) in 72 games for the Rockets, while registering 165 penalty minutes.

Hopefully he can add some weight in the next few years.

Good skater, solid puck skills, superb agitating skills and a decent fighter.

I'll be cheering for him!

Edited by Carman

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529180

Friday, 05.14.2010 / 2:09 PM / News By Todd Beam - Media Relations Manager DETROIT -- The Red Wings announced today that the club has signed forward Mitchell Callahan to a three-year entry level contract. In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Callahan, 18, was Detroit’s sixth round draft pick (180th overall) in the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft. The Whittier, California native spent the past two seasons playing with the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League. In 2009-10, he posted 47 points (20-27-47) in 72 games for the Rockets, while registering 165 penalty minutes.

Sorry for the duplicate - for some reason my computer was hanging while it was posting the topic! :(

Hopefully he does well in GR next year and can be up here full time in a few years... the guy looks like he has all the tools to be EXACTLY what we need on the 4th line

Obviously it is still a little early to tell but the 2009 draft might have been big for us. We might have grabbed 4 or 5 guys that will eventually play in the NHL.

Yep, and with Ferraro, Tatar, Nestrasil, and Callahan the Wings addressed their lack of forward prospect depth.

Pretty sweet.

So Holland states that he wants to add a gritty 4th line free agent.

Then he signs Callahan with the hope that he can make the team in a few years.

This HAS to make some of the LGW nation happy.

A little bit. I'm sure the staunch enforcer party is proud that they have someone in the system willing to do the things they like to see from hockey players.

However, Mitch is undersized for their liking. Can he still do all the yappin, scrappin and fightin at the NHL level? They hope so. They really do. At the same time, as much as they like him, I don't think the hopes for him are all that high. He's not franchise sandpaper to them or even, at this, is he a solid bottom six fixture at the NHL level.

At the very least, Mitch is a sign that Kenny recognizes the need for what Mitch brings to the table, which makes them pretty happy I'm sure.

This Callahan kid has the potential to be one of those perfect 4th liners-- a guy who can play hockey, fights well, sticks up for his teammates, hits and has good enough hands to contribute 10-20pts a year with 5-10 goals.

Based on his play at the Wings' prospect camp last year he's got good hands and is an above average skater. I remember reading that people were pleasantly surprised with Callahan's puck skills during drills.

I'm excited about this kid. It's definitely uncommon for Holland to sign an 18 year old draft pick this early in the game. It's clear that this kid is going to get a shot in GR this coming season. That's very exciting because up until now Tatar's the only 18 year old to be signed in his draft year and sent to the AHL in the history of the Wings' relationship with the Griffins.

Think of it this way-- Holland still had two more years before he had to sign Callahan. Signing him this early can only signal that Holland feels he'll be NHL ready much sooner than we're used to seeing with Wings prospects.

this happend 2 weeks ago

Actually this was rumoured about two weeks ago (all I saw was a brief mention of it in a post on Red Wings Central's forums but I never managed to corroborate the source). This is the first official notice I've read about the signing.

This Callahan kid has the potential to be one of those perfect 4th liners-- a guy who can play hockey, fights well, sticks up for his teammates, hits and has good enough hands to contribute 10-20pts a year with 5-10 goals.

That's one part of his game that might develop a little too well for the enforcer party. If he finds a way to rack up 40 points a year then Kenny and Babs will probably want him to do that a lot more than fight and throw his body around recklessly. All of a sudden he puts up a little points and then people complain that he doesn't have the edge that he used to and can't figure out why.

Based on his play at the Wings' prospect camp last year he's got good hands and is an above average skater. I remember reading that people were pleasantly surprised with Callahan's puck skills during drills.

I'm excited about this kid. It's definitely uncommon for Holland to sign an 18 year old draft pick this early in the game. It's clear that this kid is going to get a shot in GR this coming season. That's very exciting because up until now Tatar's the only 18 year old to be signed in his draft year and sent to the AHL in the history of the Wings' relationship with the Griffins.

Think of it this way-- Holland still had two more years before he had to sign Callahan. Signing him this early can only signal that Holland feels he'll be NHL ready much sooner than we're used to seeing with Wings prospects.

cant play in the AHL until hes 20 because of the stupid AHL CHL agreement

Actually this was rumoured about two weeks ago (all I saw was a brief mention of it in a post on Red Wings Central's forums but I never managed to corroborate the source). This is the first official notice I've read about the signing.

cant play in the AHL until hes 20 because of the stupid AHL CHL agreement

Edited by wings1110

A little bit. I'm sure the staunch enforcer party is proud that they have someone in the system willing to do the things they like to see from hockey players.

However, Mitch is undersized for their liking. Can he still do all the yappin, scrappin and fightin at the NHL level? They hope so. They really do. At the same time, as much as they like him, I don't think the hopes for him are all that high. He's not franchise sandpaper to them or even, at this, is he a solid bottom six fixture at the NHL level.

At the very least, Mitch is a sign that Kenny recognizes the need for what Mitch brings to the table, which makes them pretty happy I'm sure.

I consider myself part of the enforcer crowd so I'll chime in here. I don't think a lot of guys are unhappy about him being undersized, the enforcer advocates don't want 6'5 goons that can't play, they want tough players in the line up that can man up when needed. Callahan is a tough kid for sure but its the only person in the system like this and has taken huge strides in one year, so whats not too like.

He'll never be an enforcer at his size but he could be a good complimentary guy for a bigger guy. The second punch in a 1,2 punch if you know what I mean?

Good for the kid, but these guys never seem to pan out for Detroit so we'll see. Long road ahead.

What other examples are there? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Andreas Jamtin.

What other examples are there? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Andreas Jamtin.

There were high hopes for Bootland and Barnes - similar players.

Though Avery did pan out.

round 6 pick.

not from Europe but it still bodes well for his NHL future, mind you :)

Yeah every now and then its nice to see a 6th round pick not from Europe. I think Callahan was too good to pass up that late in the draft, some had him ranked going in the 4th round.