• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AIK'91

The First Weekend

Rate this topic

Dating back to before September 19th, 2009, this is the first weekend where the Wings aren't playing a game (pre-season,regular season or playoff). This excludes the 2 weeks for the Olympics, of course. That's amazing when you think about it. For a span of eight months, regardless of what else I was planning to do, I had at least one set of plans for the weekend already in my pocket.

I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Anyone else?

Dating back to before September 19th, 2009, this is the first weekend where the Wings aren't playing a game (pre-season,regular season or playoff). This excludes the 2 weeks for the Olympics, of course. That's amazing when you think about it. For a span of eight months, regardless of what else I was planning to do, I had at least one set of plans for the weekend already in my pocket.

I get to sleep in for once!

..not that I'm happy about it.

I play alot of NHL10 to get over withdrawal symptoms. My Wings Dynasty will never lose!

I play alot of NHL10 to get over withdrawal symptoms. My Wings Dynasty will never lose!

I'm the complete opposite. It's strange to play right after the season ends. I can play with friends, but never 1-player (that's sort of depressing). I usually play a little bit in the summer though after we've signed some new players or something. But, sometimes I even get really bored of that and wish I was playing real hockey instead. :lol:

I've joined a beer league and have continued to play outdoor hockey. I also have been seeing more of my friends :)

I plan on doing the exact same thing. I have to wait another month though, 'til I go back home for the summer.

Hardly anyone I know here likes hockey. And if they do, they're usually a horribly annoying, bandwagon Hawks fan who's never played hockey in their entire life. Most of them aren't even from Chicago.<_<

Edited by AIK'91

LOL i started to see this girl walking around my house.....then i remembered i have a GF, Now that the Wings are out what do i talk about ? lol

You win the thread. :lol:

Me, I'm just going back to spending inordinate amounts of time playing PS3.

I've joined a beer league and have continued to play outdoor hockey. I also have been seeing more of my friends :)

My friend told me she is glad they lost because she gets her friend back :lol: I, however, am dead bored and she is nowhere to be found. Laaaame.

Gee, now I'll have to find new ways to annoy my friends on Facebook since I won't be able to update my status with Wings news that nobody cares about.

I'm thinking of learning how to play hockey myself. I was horrible at sports in grade school, so I don't know why I think anything will have changed, but I like it so much that I just have to give it a try. They have lessons at one of the ice rinks in town, so at least I won't just be screwing around by myself and creating bad habits. Do you think 25 is too old to learn to play hockey, though?

While I definitely wish the Wings were still playing, no withdrawal symptoms for me really. Too much going on to have withdrwawl stuff.

Gee, now I'll have to find new ways to annoy my friends on Facebook since I won't be able to update my status with Wings news that nobody cares about.

I'm thinking of learning how to play hockey myself. I was horrible at sports in grade school, so I don't know why I think anything will have changed, but I like it so much that I just have to give it a try. They have lessons at one of the ice rinks in town, so at least I won't just be screwing around by myself and creating bad habits. Do you think 25 is too old to learn to play hockey, though?

No. I started (seriously) skating and learning when I turned 24. If it is something you want to do, you should definitiely go for it! :)

Ha ha my friends on Facebook still fall victim to hockey news since it is still the playoffs. I'll have to come up with something else once they're over though.

No. I started (seriously) skating and learning when I turned 24. If it is something you want to do, you should definitiely go for it! :)

Ha ha my friends on Facebook still fall victim to hockey news since it is still the playoffs. I'll have to come up with something else once they're over though.

Oh, awesome! I'll have to give it the ol' college try, then. I can't wait!

That's true - I did say something about the Habs a few days ago after they beat the Pens. But yeah, I don't know what I'm going to talk about once the whole thing's over. I mean, I do watch NASCAR, but I keep that to myself...it's my guilty pleasure. Gotta give it credit, though; one of the reasons I started watching hockey is because I was bored out of my mind during NASCAR's off-season. Now it's kind of the other way around - I watch NASCAR during the NHL's off-season.

Oh, awesome! I'll have to give it the ol' college try, then. I can't wait!

That's true - I did say something about the Habs a few days ago after they beat the Pens. But yeah, I don't know what I'm going to talk about once the whole thing's over. I mean, I do watch NASCAR, but I keep that to myself...it's my guilty pleasure. Gotta give it credit, though; one of the reasons I started watching hockey is because I was bored out of my mind during NASCAR's off-season. Now it's kind of the other way around - I watch NASCAR during the NHL's off-season.

Ahhh. My friend is trying to convert me to a baseball fan. We were going to a Tiger's game but it got rained out. I dunno. I TRY to like baseball, and I have fun if I GO to games, but I don't like to watch it on tv and I'm just not that into it. I'm trying to change though, ha ha. Just so I have something to do during the summer.

Maybe I know her haha

Yeah? Well tell her I am bored because hockey is over so she should come entertain me. ;)

Ahhh. My friend is trying to convert me to a baseball fan. We were going to a Tiger's game but it got rained out. I dunno. I TRY to like baseball, and I have fun if I GO to games, but I don't like to watch it on tv and I'm just not that into it. I'm trying to change though, ha ha. Just so I have something to do during the summer.

Yeah, baseball just doesn't excite me all that much. I did watch the Tigers play the Angels on TV a week or two ago when there wasn't any hockey on, and it was kind of interesting when something was happening, but I have to say, it kinda drags after a while, and they stand around too much if you ask me. I'd like to actually go to a game sometime because everybody I know says what you said - it's fun if you're actually there. Of course, the two teams I'd kind of like to see, the Tigers and the Red Sox, aren't playing at the Padres' ballpark at all this season, so I dunno. I think I'll stick with NASCAR...it lasts too darn long, but at least there's always something happening (there really is more to it than just driving around in circles), and it's really fast like hockey.

Guest Lidstromboli

baseball games are fun to go to

but watching non-playoff ones on tv is awful

Yeah, baseball just doesn't excite me all that much. I did watch the Tigers play the Angels on TV a week or two ago when there wasn't any hockey on, and it was kind of interesting when something was happening, but I have to say, it kinda drags after a while, and they stand around too much if you ask me. I'd like to actually go to a game sometime because everybody I know says what you said - it's fun if you're actually there. Of course, the two teams I'd kind of like to see, the Tigers and the Red Sox, aren't playing at the Padres' ballpark at all this season, so I dunno. I think I'll stick with NASCAR...it lasts too darn long, but at least there's always something happening (there really is more to it than just driving around in circles), and it's really fast like hockey.

When I lived in New York, going to the Subway Series was always fun. Then again, we just went to watch the Yankees and Mets fans beat on each other, ha ha. I've never tried to watch Nascar. I think there is just no hope for me and sports, other than hockey. I like to PLAY soccer, basketball and tennis, but I don't like watching any of them on tv or anything.

Playoff hockey is getting me by until the World Cup starts. I'm so excited for the World Cup. After that I'm off to Europe, so no withdrawl symptoms for me. I was really down when they lost last year to the Penguins, but this year it was obvious that they lost to a better team*, and expectations were lower anyways. I'm pumped for next season though!

*The reffing did not help though, and kind of ticks me off when I think about it. I've just blocked it from my memory, and convinced myself the Sharks deserved to win.

Edited by under_par_00

You're never too old. Go for it. :thumbup:

Best of luck on your pro tryout this September though.

Drugs....

Thank you. Best idea so far.

I can get rid of my current withdrawal symptoms by replacing them with a whole different kind of withdrawal symptoms. :lol:

25 is perfect. I have some friends who have never skated before in their life save for the occasional romantic date for a 50 minute "skate" with their girlfriends. They decided to join a D-beer league which is designed for people who have little/no hockey experience. They also signed up for a hockey clinic and they're improving nicely. These kids are right around your age, and their teammates are mostly 30-50 and most are beginners also.

Seriously give it a shot. Get some friends together and get a team going. Its a ton of fun.