• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
diehardredwing19

Andreas Lilja?

Rate this topic

Why keep Kindl and Ericcson if theyre terrible ? why not trade them then....why go out and spend money on a player and bring him in when we have young D now that can go in and play,these guys will get better by playing in the NHL not the AHL, you get better by playing with the best. I have no problem with putting a young kid in the AHL for a season or two while he developes a bit and gets a little bigger but i think the Wings are the only team that leaves guys down there that long, like Helm,Abdelkader,Howard. I would bet anything Kindl doesnt play as bad as Lebda did this season and puts up better numbers then Lebda ever has.

Kindl 33pts, -4,73gp

Lebda 8pts,-2,63gp

While I agree that is a great defense on paper, there is no way Anton Volchenkov should or will sign as a third pairing guy. He's a shutdown, top pairing player, even on a team with strong depth on defense like the Red Wings.

lol, we wouldn't have a 1,2, or 3 pairing. it would be an equal spread. no weak spots. especially then lids-rafi could play less minutes on most nights. i dont think lids needs another season with those same minutes next year. if not, they could switch up the pairings regularly.

Guest Lidstromboli

"yeah we're definitely going to have Volchenkov next season"

- fans of 29 different NHL teams

Carkner would have been a decent option, but he's already been signed by Ottawa. This just seems to be a terrible year for defensemen, unless you want someone in their late 30s.

Janik would be better than Meech, but I'd rather have Lilly.

Oh I thought Carkner was still a free agent, My mistake. Janik looks like he could be getting 7th duty next year. Lebda and Meech will be gone so Janik and Kindl will be added. Janik is pretty comparable to pre concussion Lilja style wise. I think if we had Janik play like we had Lilja and give him some decent coaching he could turn into a player on the same skill level as Lilja is now.

from his little blog entry, it doesn't sound like Lilja is so confident about returning to the Wings lineup.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61686&navid=DL

It doesn't sound like he thinks he won't be back either though... too hard to tell at this point...

I personally want him back as long as it's at 1mil or less - He was very good with Ericsson and really helped steady the young Swede when he got back and they should lock him up for another year or two... this also puts pressure on Kindl and Ericsson to step it up and WIN a job, not just be given one...

He also played less than half the minutes. He was effective. He was also second in hits for defenseman. He was solid on the PK as well.

One fewer game played too in the postseason. Give him that extra game and he'd likely have been 2nd in blocked shots to Brad Stuart. Wasn't too shabby during the regular season either, with 21 blocked shots in 20 games

I'd like to play a little stats game. Divide shots blocked by time on ice. That'll give an accurate depiction of who's blocking the most shots.

Stuart: .053 shots blocked/min

Rafalski: .053

Lidstrom: .039

Kronwall: .058

Ericsson: .047

Lebda: .043

Lilja: .074

Let's try the playoffs.

Stuart: .079

Rafalski: .059

Lidstrom: .044

Kronwall: .064

Ericsson: .035

Lebda: .000

Lilja: .107

Wow, that Lilja sure does suck at shot blocking. It's not like he's the best on the team.

OH WAIT, HE IS. By a pretty large margin, to boot, especially in the playoffs.

One fewer game played too in the postseason. Give him that extra game and he'd likely have been 2nd in blocked shots to Brad Stuart. Wasn't too shabby during the regular season either, with 21 blocked shots in 20 games

I'd like to play a little stats game. Divide shots blocked by time on ice. That'll give an accurate depiction of who's blocking the most shots.

Stuart: .053 shots blocked/min

Rafalski: .053

Lidstrom: .039

Kronwall: .058

Ericsson: .047

Lebda: .043

Lilja: .074

Let's try the playoffs.

Stuart: .079

Rafalski: .059

Lidstrom: .044

Kronwall: .064

Ericsson: .035

Lebda: .000

Lilja: .107

Wow, that Lilja sure does suck at shot blocking. It's not like he's the best on the team.

OH WAIT, HE IS. By a pretty large margin, to boot, especially in the playoffs.

Great post.

People here are just jealous of him because of his looks and fighting skills.

The rest of the team could learn to block shots like he can. We're probably the worst team in the league at it.

Great post.

People here are just jealous of him because of his looks and fighting skills.

The rest of the team could learn to block shots like he can. We're probably the worst team in the league at it.

Give it up GMR, this is not the old Lilja you and I used to love. This guy is a shell of what he used to be.

Guest Crymson

Lilja is an accessory; he's one of those players who has been on the team awhile but has never been part of the core group.

He won't be back.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that a lot of people don't want him back. I thought he played very solid in the playoffs, and I'd love to see him return.

Oh I thought Carkner was still a free agent, My mistake. Janik looks like he could be getting 7th duty next year. Lebda and Meech will be gone so Janik and Kindl will be added. Janik is pretty comparable to pre concussion Lilja style wise. I think if we had Janik play like we had Lilja and give him some decent coaching he could turn into a player on the same skill level as Lilja is now.

Sean O'Donnell can still do the job :thumbup:

Sean O'Donnell can still do the job :thumbup:

If Lilja leaves I don't wanna see a little puck mover brought in or Lebda signed to take his place. I also don't want an old guy like O'donnel. Give me someone no older then 30. Brookbank looks like a perfect fit right there.

If Lilja leaves I don't wanna see a little puck mover brought in or Lebda signed to take his place. I also don't want an old guy like O'donnel. Give me someone no older then 30. Brookbank looks like a perfect fit right there.

Neither do i.True.Here's who i wouldn't mind taking Lilja's spot:

Shane O'Brien

Shane Hnidy

Sheldon Brookbank

Jim Vandermeer

Jay Leach

John Scott

Boris Valabik

I agree, for the same reason as I liked the Eaves pickup when we first got him: if we're going to pick up a lower liner, we may as well pick up a young one because they have the potential to be more. An older guy like O'Donnell isn't going to impress everyone with a breakout year. Since the Wings haven't had the pick of the patch draftwise for many years, it behooves them to find additional potential in league-ready guys. Any potential left in O'Donnell is already exhausted.

Neither do i.True.Here's who i wouldn't mind taking Lilja's spot:

Shane O'Brien

Shane Hnidy

Sheldon Brookbank

Jim Vandermeer

Jay Leach

John Scott

Boris Valabik

Shane O'brien would be sick here but he's an RFA so I don't see it happening. Vancouver wasn't happy with him though so maybe they let him go. He doesn't seem to like it in Vancouver and after another premature payoff exit they might want a shake up.

Brookbank seems like the best person of the group for me. He's young (sort of) and is a steady, stay at home type of guy. Heavy weight fighter as well. He's proven he's good enough to play in this league and could be a very good 6th dman

Leach is a plug

John Scott is an absolute giant and for sure the toughest of the group. I dunno if he's good enough for regular NHL duty. Sign him at a league minimum as your 7th defenseman and I'm all for it.

Valabik is interesting. He's young and could have some potential. He's huge as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed either.

Hnidy is a little old for my liking but he could still have a couple good years in him. Its not like he relies on his speed and mobility to play his style of game.

One guy to add to your list is Strudwick. He's a bit old as well but he's a very solid player. Just as good as Lilja and could be had for 500,000 less.

I think the key with most of these guys is that we can save some cap space by signing them and reaquire a physical stay at home guy.

Brookbank would be the best fit if Lils isn't here, and before people say he's a useless goon on D. He averaged 15 minutes a game on a ducks team with very solid defense.

Edited by newfy

from his little blog entry, it doesn't sound like Lilja is so confident about returning to the Wings lineup.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61686&navid=DL

I think what he was trying to do with this is say thanks to everyone now just in case he isn't resigned. I'm sure he'll still do his blog but it won't be on the Wings site anymore so he wouldn't have a chance to tell everyone he appreciates their support.

Shane O'brien would be sick here but he's an RFA so I don't see it happening. Vancouver wasn't happy with him though so maybe they let him go. He doesn't seem to like it in Vancouver and after another premature payoff exit they might want a shake up.

Brookbank seems like the best person of the group for me. He's young (sort of) and is a steady, stay at home type of guy. Heavy weight fighter as well. He's proven he's good enough to play in this league and could be a very good 6th dman

Leach is a plug

John Scott is an absolute giant and for sure the toughest of the group. I dunno if he's good enough for regular NHL duty. Sign him at a league minimum as your 7th defenseman and I'm all for it.

Valabik is interesting. He's young and could have some potential. He's huge as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed either.

Hnidy is a little old for my liking but he could still have a couple good years in him. Its not like he relies on his speed and mobility to play his style of game.

One guy to add to your list is Strudwick. He's a bit old as well but he's a very solid player. Just as good as Lilja and could be had for 500,000 less.

I think the key with most of these guys is that we can save some cap space by signing them and reaquire a physical stay at home guy.

Brookbank would be the best fit if Lils isn't here, and before people say he's a useless goon on D. He averaged 15 minutes a game on a ducks team with very solid defense.

I agree,Brookbank would be the best fit.I'd be happy with any of them though.Strudwick would be a good option,he's a little older as well.Nick Boynton comes to mind,age is catching up to him too.A couple other guys that i left off the list because i wasn't sure about their contract situations were Jay Harrison of the Hurricanes and Jason Garrison of the Panthers.Both are very young,pretty big,physical,and can fight.

I agree,Brookbank would be the best fit.I'd be happy with any of them though.Strudwick would be a good option,he's a little older as well.Nick Boynton comes to mind,age is catching up to him too.A couple other guys that i left off the list because i wasn't sure about their contract situations were Jay Harrison of the Hurricanes and Jason Garrison of the Panthers.Both are very young,pretty big,physical,and can fight.

Yeah Harrison could be a good 6 or 7 guy. He's still young so we could teach him how to play as well.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but assuming Lidstrom returns then next season's defense will be one of the three following units:

Top four: Lidstrom/Kronwall/Rafalski/Stuart

Remaining: Ericsson/Lilja/Kindl

Remaining: Ericsson/Lilja/Kindl/Meech

Remaining: Ericsson/Kindl/Meech

That's simply it. That's how it will go down. Lidstrom is back, then the Wings bring back one or both of Lilja and Meech to play with Ericsson and Kindl in the bottom 3-4. There's a decent chance Lilja retires, and Meech has shown himself a decent defenseman and improved a great deal from start to finish over last season.

Perhaps shaking up the pairings to play Kronwall with Rafalski and Ericsson/Kindl/Meech next to Stuart and Lidstrom would help get the kids experience while not having the Ericsson/Lebda type pairing with a rookie who is still fairly new to his position and a defensively incapable partner for said rookie.

EDIT: Plus, playing two big guys like Kindl and Ericsson alongside Stuart might help them to develop a more dominant physical game like Stuart's. Meech is a smaller guy, a little smaller than Kronwall, but he definitely has the feistiness to play a more aggressive game even if he doesn't have a hard hitting game (although he did hit more often than Janik last season) so the Wings have three solid young defensemen they have a strong likelihood of bringing back who have good skills and are open to develop solid physical and defensive games to go with what natural offensive skills they have displayed already.

Edited by eva unit zero

Sorry to break it to you guys, but assuming Lidstrom returns then next season's defense will be one of the three following units:

Remaining: Ericsson/Lilja/Kindl

Remaining: Ericsson/Lilja/Kindl/Meech

Remaining: Ericsson/Kindl/Meech

That's simply it. That's how it will go down. Lidstrom is back, then the Wings bring back one or both of Lilja and Meech to play with Ericsson and Kindl in the bottom 3-4. There's a decent chance Lilja retires, and Meech has shown himself a decent defenseman and improved a great deal from start to finish over last season.

Perhaps shaking up the pairings to play Kronwall with Rafalski and Ericsson/Kindl/Meech next to Stuart and Lidstrom would help get the kids experience while not having the Ericsson/Lebda type pairing with a rookie who is still fairly new to his position and a defensively incapable partner for said rookie.

EDIT: Plus, playing two big guys like Kindl and Ericsson alongside Stuart might help them to develop a more dominant physical game like Stuart's. Meech is a smaller guy, a little smaller than Kronwall, but he definitely has the feistiness to play a more aggressive game even if he doesn't have a hard hitting game (although he did hit more often than Janik last season) so the Wings have three solid young defensemen they have a strong likelihood of bringing back who have good skills and are open to develop solid physical and defensive games to go with what natural offensive skills they have displayed already.

I wouldn't be so sure. By the looks of Lilja's blog post he very well could be leaving. Meech will be made an offer but Holland also put it out there that he might get traded so it makes you wonder if he really fits into the teams plans. They will wanna replace Lilja with a tougher style player because thats what Lilja was supposed to be for us.

Guest Lidstromboli

lets get janik and brookbank! real quality defensemen, unlike lil-duh!