• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

It's supposed to be a whooping crane. Unfortunately the team has been defunct for almost a decade.

LOL, you got it.

The swastika was in use LONG (~500 B.C.)before the Nazis f***edmessed it up. In 1916 the Swastika was mainly a religious symbol, not being adopted by the Nazi party until 1920.

Haha, fair enough, but the subtle little bee there after the nameplate? The birds and the bees?

Hahahah
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

I just remember my friend telling me about it, so I have no idea where it was, but there was a team called the Nads. Supporters would yell "Go Nads!"

#23 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

detroit red wings is a pretty bad name

Posted Image

#24 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Our local team here is call the Mallards, pretty much the same thing. But the reason they're called the Mallards is because we are on the Mississippi River and there are TONS of ducks here, but why Anaheim is still the Ducks I don't know, at least we have a reason. For the 2 years we had Calgary's AHL team they changed the name to the Flames, that was the worst, we actually lost ticket sales because of the loyals that hated the name change. But what about Rockford Ice Hogs? Or even the Iowa Chops, with a big pig head as the logo, lol.

Pigs, and more especially wild pigs, and wild hogs as well, are dangerous motherf***ers. I'd be more afraid of them than many primarily predatory animals.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#25 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Haha, fair enough, but the subtle little bee there after the nameplate? The birds and the bees?

Hahahah

Oh, no doubt about it....that's the way it was designed on purpose...the stork-looking bird and the bee for the aforementioned 'birds and bees' reference. They just said it was a whooping crane so they could say that the whole jersey wasn't one huge sexual innuendo ;)
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#26 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

I just remember my friend telling me about it, so I have no idea where it was, but there was a team called the Nads. Supporters would yell "Go Nads!"

Here you go. Rhode Island School of Design Nads (College)
Posted Image

Couple of other good ones,

Deportivo Wanka (Peruvian soccer team)
Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders (High school)
Young Boys Bern (Swiss soccer league)
UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs (College)
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Posted Image

:lol: I thought that was a joke. I googled it, it's a real school!

Anyone want any Butte Pirates gear? You can order some on these sites!

http://www.prepsport...choolid=1001974

http://www.spiritsho...hool-11608.aspx

Seriously Arco Idaho or Butte High School, change the name of your sports teams!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

I never got the name "Orlando Solar bears" of the now folded IHL

#29 solnyshko

solnyshko

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

My high school was the Rocks. Which was cool if you wanted to say it as "Salem rocks!!" but not so much if you were saying "Yah. I go to Salem. I'm a rock."

#30 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

There was an old timers tourney in the rink where I play this last winter and there was a team made up of ex Canadian Navy guys and they were called the CRUSTY OLD SEAMEN !

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#31 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

There was an old timers tourney in the rink where I play this last winter and there was a team made up of ex Canadian Navy guys and they were called the CRUSTY OLD SEAMEN !

:blink: I don't think I'd want to play against those guys.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#32 Rubbel_die_Katz

Rubbel_die_Katz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

in Germany we have a Team called Iserlohn Roosters...i still wonder who is afraid of some male chickens. the whole idea is very strange to me.

#33 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image

#34 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

Here you go. Rhode Island School of Design Nads (College)
Posted Image

Couple of other good ones,

Deportivo Wanka (Peruvian soccer team)
Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders (High school)
Young Boys Bern (Swiss soccer league)
UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs (College)

Yeah, this is what I was talking about earlier. The mascot's name is Scrotie.

Oh, and the motto of the team is, "When the heat is on the balls stick together."

Edited by Gordie Howe hat trick, 17 May 2010 - 01:06 AM.

"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#35 Mjolman

Mjolman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:01 AM

Macon Whoopie from GA

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:23 AM

No hockey team there, but there's a town nearby whose mascot is the Flicker, which is fine until they put up the big handmade signs in all-caps. The L and I tend to squeeze together and look like a U, so the sings read "GO f***ERS!"

#37 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

No joke that's actually the name of my beer league, but I don't know how we got the name. I joined halfway through the season. I do hear "Go Nads" all the time though.

Back when I was in bantam hockey, our team was deciding on a name that would fit well with the ol' powder blue jerseys and some kid suggested that it would be hilarious to be something that has absolutely nothing to do with blue. The first thing that came up was "Camels" and it was instantly a unanimous vote in support of. Now, apparently this is a derogatory term for Middle-Eastern folk and this was right after 9-11. Despite our Coach's best efforts to try to convince us to change it without corrupting our minds with more derogatory terms in a sensitive time period, he was eventually left with the responsibility of explaining to all the parents why we were the Camels.

#38 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

No one will say it because they're an original six team, but the "Canadiens" is a really dumb name. Whenever I talk about playing or watching the "Montreal Canadiens" to my non-hockey fan friends, they are sure to emphasize how terrible of a name it is. From tradition it's grown on people I guess.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#39 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:30 AM

No one will say it because they're an original six team, but the "Canadiens" is a really dumb name. Whenever I talk about playing or watching the "Montreal Canadiens" to my non-hockey fan friends, they are sure to emphasize how terrible of a name it is. From tradition it's grown on people I guess.

I like Canadiens. It is very classy, in my opinion. It is far better than Ducks, Avalanche, Penguins, or Wild. Those have to be some of the worst names in all of North American pro sports.

#40 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:36 AM

detroit red wings is a pretty bad name

As a kid, I used to think the same and wonder why they ever changed their name from the Detroit Cougars.

Now, I love it as it sounds classy, yet not wimpy, or like it is trying to be "tough", like XFL team.

What a Redwing is is anyone's guess, so fans can use their imaginations and develop their own image of the name.