• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

This wasn't supposed to be news until Monday the 17th.
I saw this earlier, and was wondering what it could be. kuklas korner wondering what it was

Then was on yahoo, and found this. link with source

No significant contract details thus far.

tsn link
loks to be a 10 year 65-67 million dollar deal

Edited by miller76, 17 May 2010 - 10:31 AM.

lighten up people, it's the internet!

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

Think he got a Zetterberg like deal?

#3 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Think he got a Zetterberg like deal?

He may have gotten something similar. I bet it's a lengthy one.

#4 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:28 AM

Rumors has it around 6m per year, which would be an absolute steal for the Caps.

#5 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

Rumors has it around 6m per year, which would be an absolute steal for the Caps.

If that's the case, then that is a real good home town discount, like it was already said, probably giving up per year value for term...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

I heard on the radio this morning its a 7-10yr deal

#8 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

What do you guys think about all these long term deals being handed out? (if is indeed 7-10 years)

I understand the benefits to reducing the cap hit, but it seams like a dangerous move. I'm hoping the wings don't take too many deals like the ones we have for Mule and Z.

I really like Backstrom. Would be good to see him playing on a team with a proper system though haha. Regardless, Ovy and Backstrom are going to be a dangerous partnership for a very long time.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#9 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Aftonbladet pretty much reports the rumours from the Washington Post which in turn is pretty much what you guys have been talking about:

7-10 years @ $6M+ per year.

#10 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

What do you guys think about all these long term deals being handed out? (if is indeed 7-10 years)

I understand the benefits to reducing the cap hit, but it seams like a dangerous move. I'm hoping the wings don't take too many deals like the ones we have for Mule and Z.

I really like Backstrom. Would be good to see him playing on a team with a proper system though haha. Regardless, Ovy and Backstrom are going to be a dangerous partnership for a very long time.

7-10 years isn't that bad though for this guy. Doesn't seem to get injured much, doesn't play a reckless style, has pretty good play-off point-totals and he's only going to be 23 this year. At the oldest, he'll be 33 at the end of the contract.

And like you say - keeping the Ovie-Backs pairing going for a while is not a bad idea. :o

#11 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

7-10 years isn't that bad though for this guy. Doesn't seem to get injured much, doesn't play a reckless style, has pretty good play-off point-totals and he's only going to be 23 this year. At the oldest, he'll be 33 at the end of the contract.

And like you say - keeping the Ovie-Backs pairing going for a while is not a bad idea. :o

That's true, he is still very young so it's far less risky than some of the others that are out there. I still am uncertain though, who knows what the cap state will be in 5 or 10 years. Not so much a comment on this deal but rather the general trend of long term contracts. But I guess that's a topic for another thread...

Edited by crotty99, 17 May 2010 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#12 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I think that they can be really good for a team and for a player, from a players prospective I think it would concern me less to enter into a deal with a team like Detroit who has a good long term record of competing year in and year out and is in a good established hockey market. You know that Detroit will always put out a good product and the team is sound so to me there is less risk of ending up on on a bottom dweller team.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#13 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

I
I think these long term deals are the only way you can lock up great players now with the stupid cap, it lowers the hit,and gives the player the money he wants. like Kovy John Anderson the other day said Kovy is probably going to the KHL this off-season the rumor is he will be offered 3yrs 15mill per season tax free , so with the cap this deal is a no go on any team, unless you do like a 9yr 5 mill deal, i understand the reason for having the Cap in place, but i think it should be at least a 65-70mill cap. I just dont like when they say they do it for teams that dont have the money, well its obvious if the dont have the money the team is not in a Hockey market!. Like as s***ty as the Coyotes were last season, im from Hamilton and Hamilton sold out season tickets at the potential chance we were getting a NHL team, to prove to the NHL we were a hockey market. How Buttman thinks Kansas City,Vegas are better hockey markets then Hamilton,Winn,Quebec i dont know.

Edited by king_malice, 17 May 2010 - 09:09 AM.

#14 endemicWings

endemicWings

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

I
I think these long term deals are the only way you can lock up great players now with the stupid cap, it lowers the hit,and gives the player the money he wants. like Kovy John Anderson the other day said Kovy is probably going to the KHL this off-season the rumor is he will be offered 3yrs 15mill per season tax free , so with the cap this deal is a no go on any team, unless you do like a 9yr 5 mill deal, i understand the reason for having the Cap in place, but i think it should be at least a 65-70mill cap. I just dont like when they say they do it for teams that dont have the money, well its obvious if the dont have the money the team is not in a Hockey market!. Like as s***ty as the Coyotes were last season, im from Hamilton and Hamilton sold out season tickets at the potential chance we were getting a NHL team, to prove to the NHL we were a hockey market. How Buttman thinks Kansas City,Vegas are better hockey markets then Hamilton,Winn,Quebec i dont know.

Backstrom is one of the few players who deserve this type of deal. I'd only take a handful of players before him if I was starting a team from scratch. Good move for the Caps, maybe they can win something during the next 7 years...

#15 40 Red Wings 13

40 Red Wings 13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Nicklas Backstrom will be a Washington Capial for a very long time.

The club announced on Monday that the 22-year old forward has agreed to a 10-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be in the $65-67M range.

TSN ->http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=321824

#16 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

10 year, and estimated to be 65-67 million

tsn

#17 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

He deserves it. Great all around young player.

#18 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

10 year, and estimated to be 65-67 million

tsn

Not bad at all.

#19 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

backstrom > zetterberg

Posted Image

#20 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

That's a steal. Great great signing for the caps.

He will be 33 when the contract expires.