• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Backstrom re-signs with the Capitals

Rate this topic

This wasn't supposed to be news until Monday the 17th.

I saw this earlier, and was wondering what it could be. kuklas korner wondering what it was

Then was on yahoo, and found this. link with source

No significant contract details thus far.

tsn link

loks to be a 10 year 65-67 million dollar deal

Edited by miller76

What do you guys think about all these long term deals being handed out? (if is indeed 7-10 years)

I understand the benefits to reducing the cap hit, but it seams like a dangerous move. I'm hoping the wings don't take too many deals like the ones we have for Mule and Z.

I really like Backstrom. Would be good to see him playing on a team with a proper system though haha. Regardless, Ovy and Backstrom are going to be a dangerous partnership for a very long time.

What do you guys think about all these long term deals being handed out? (if is indeed 7-10 years)

I understand the benefits to reducing the cap hit, but it seams like a dangerous move. I'm hoping the wings don't take too many deals like the ones we have for Mule and Z.

I really like Backstrom. Would be good to see him playing on a team with a proper system though haha. Regardless, Ovy and Backstrom are going to be a dangerous partnership for a very long time.

7-10 years isn't that bad though for this guy. Doesn't seem to get injured much, doesn't play a reckless style, has pretty good play-off point-totals and he's only going to be 23 this year. At the oldest, he'll be 33 at the end of the contract.

And like you say - keeping the Ovie-Backs pairing going for a while is not a bad idea. :o

7-10 years isn't that bad though for this guy. Doesn't seem to get injured much, doesn't play a reckless style, has pretty good play-off point-totals and he's only going to be 23 this year. At the oldest, he'll be 33 at the end of the contract.

And like you say - keeping the Ovie-Backs pairing going for a while is not a bad idea. :o

That's true, he is still very young so it's far less risky than some of the others that are out there. I still am uncertain though, who knows what the cap state will be in 5 or 10 years. Not so much a comment on this deal but rather the general trend of long term contracts. But I guess that's a topic for another thread...

Edited by crotty99

I think that they can be really good for a team and for a player, from a players prospective I think it would concern me less to enter into a deal with a team like Detroit who has a good long term record of competing year in and year out and is in a good established hockey market. You know that Detroit will always put out a good product and the team is sound so to me there is less risk of ending up on on a bottom dweller team.

I

I think these long term deals are the only way you can lock up great players now with the stupid cap, it lowers the hit,and gives the player the money he wants. like Kovy John Anderson the other day said Kovy is probably going to the KHL this off-season the rumor is he will be offered 3yrs 15mill per season tax free , so with the cap this deal is a no go on any team, unless you do like a 9yr 5 mill deal, i understand the reason for having the Cap in place, but i think it should be at least a 65-70mill cap. I just dont like when they say they do it for teams that dont have the money, well its obvious if the dont have the money the team is not in a Hockey market!. Like as s***ty as the Coyotes were last season, im from Hamilton and Hamilton sold out season tickets at the potential chance we were getting a NHL team, to prove to the NHL we were a hockey market. How Buttman thinks Kansas City,Vegas are better hockey markets then Hamilton,Winn,Quebec i dont know.

Edited by king_malice

I

I think these long term deals are the only way you can lock up great players now with the stupid cap, it lowers the hit,and gives the player the money he wants. like Kovy John Anderson the other day said Kovy is probably going to the KHL this off-season the rumor is he will be offered 3yrs 15mill per season tax free , so with the cap this deal is a no go on any team, unless you do like a 9yr 5 mill deal, i understand the reason for having the Cap in place, but i think it should be at least a 65-70mill cap. I just dont like when they say they do it for teams that dont have the money, well its obvious if the dont have the money the team is not in a Hockey market!. Like as s***ty as the Coyotes were last season, im from Hamilton and Hamilton sold out season tickets at the potential chance we were getting a NHL team, to prove to the NHL we were a hockey market. How Buttman thinks Kansas City,Vegas are better hockey markets then Hamilton,Winn,Quebec i dont know.

Backstrom is one of the few players who deserve this type of deal. I'd only take a handful of players before him if I was starting a team from scratch. Good move for the Caps, maybe they can win something during the next 7 years...

I think part of the thinking is that, because he's still young, signing to a 10 year contract is less of a risk than signing someone like Zetterberg or Franzen to lengthy contracts.

HOWEVER: I think there are two ways to look at it:

1 - Sure, with Backstrom, he is young and will be in his prime throughout the contract, likely less prone to injury and less prone to decline due to age....both of which you probably risk with guys like Zetterberg and Franzen.

2 - With Backstrom though, because he is young, you are likely stuck with that cap hit for the next 10 years for sure and depending on where the cap goes, it could get troublesome (good look very good too). With Zetterberg and Franzen, they may retire before the end of their contracts, therefore, Detroit may not be on the hook for those cap hits for as long.

Personally - If given the choice of only one, I would rather have Backstrom for 10 years at $6.7m than Ovechkin for 11 more at $9.5m.

I don't know about that, but I can see an argument. Ovechkin is 2 years older right? He's the better play right now, but you never know how much more each will develop and the extra $3 million a year is a lot.

If inflation continues then those contracts won't look as big 8-10 years from now.