Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Nearly same cap hit as Zetterberg.

#22 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

I think part of the thinking is that, because he's still young, signing to a 10 year contract is less of a risk than signing someone like Zetterberg or Franzen to lengthy contracts.

HOWEVER: I think there are two ways to look at it:

1 - Sure, with Backstrom, he is young and will be in his prime throughout the contract, likely less prone to injury and less prone to decline due to age....both of which you probably risk with guys like Zetterberg and Franzen.

2 - With Backstrom though, because he is young, you are likely stuck with that cap hit for the next 10 years for sure and depending on where the cap goes, it could get troublesome (good look very good too). With Zetterberg and Franzen, they may retire before the end of their contracts, therefore, Detroit may not be on the hook for those cap hits for as long.

#23 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Personally - If given the choice of only one, I would rather have Backstrom for 10 years at $6.7m than Ovechkin for 11 more at $9.5m.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#24 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Personally - If given the choice of only one, I would rather have Backstrom for 10 years at $6.7m than Ovechkin for 11 more at $9.5m.

I don't know about that, but I can see an argument. Ovechkin is 2 years older right? He's the better play right now, but you never know how much more each will develop and the extra $3 million a year is a lot.

#25 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

What do you guys think about all these long term deals being handed out? (if is indeed 7-10 years)

I understand the benefits to reducing the cap hit, but it seams like a dangerous move. I'm hoping the wings don't take too many deals like the ones we have for Mule and Z.

I really like Backstrom. Would be good to see him playing on a team with a proper system though haha. Regardless, Ovy and Backstrom are going to be a dangerous partnership for a very long time.

If inflation continues then those contracts won't look as big 8-10 years from now.

Posted Image

#26 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

I don't know about that, but I can see an argument. Ovechkin is 2 years older right? He's the better play right now, but you never know how much more each will develop and the extra $3 million a year is a lot.

I can see the other side -- but I think Backstrom is quickly shaping up to be one of the best in the league.
He already has a two-way game that is impressive for his age, and one that I do not think Ovechkin will ever touch, and while Ovechkin produces more points, he certainly does not produce more than what Backstrom + a 3 million dollar player would produce.

I think this is an incredible deal for Washington.

Edited by egroen, 17 May 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

This seems like a real bargoon.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Wow... I`d have offered him 10 years at 7million. That kid is amazing.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#29 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

I can see the other side -- but I think Backstrom is quickly shaping up to be one of the best in the league.
He already has a two-way game that is impressive for his age, and one that I do not think Ovechkin will ever touch, and while Ovechkin produces more points, he certainly does not produce more than what Backstrom + a 3 million dollar player would produce.

I think this is an incredible deal for Washington.

Exactly how I find myself comparing the two deals. :thumbup:

#30 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

backstrom > zetterberg

Conn Smythe?

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

A guy from Washington I think would fit well in our system would be Jason Chimera.I'd love to see him on the 4th line.Anyone heard anything on if they intend on keeping him or letting him walk?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

A guy from Washington I think would fit well in our system would be Jason Chimera.I'd love to see him on the 4th line.Anyone heard anything on if they intend on keeping him or letting him walk?

I think they should keep him. They need more guys who are willing to take punishment and block shots.

And damn, he has a cool name. We have to find our next mythical beast named dude-- isn`t Holland always looking for the next Dallas Drake?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#33 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

Thought this was interesting:

The Washington Post's Tarik el-Bashir reports the breakdown is $6 million for each of the first four years, then $6.5 million for each of the next two, $7 million for one, $7.5 million in both years eight and nine, and then $8 million in the final year.

Aren't these sort of deals usually front loaded?

I guess it's because Backstrom is still so young.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#34 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thought this was interesting:

Aren't these sort of deals usually front loaded?

I guess it's because Backstrom is still so young.

All that money makes me drool. God damn.. I never should have quit playing hockey :crybaby:

^_^

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

I think they should keep him. They need more guys who are willing to take punishment and block shots.
And damn, he has a cool name. We have to find our next mythical beast named dude-- isn`t Holland always looking for the next Dallas Drake?

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.However,i don't see Scott Walker being re-signed.Too bad he won't make the team any younger :(
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

If inflation continues then those contracts won't look as big 8-10 years from now.

USMC_Ben has already stated many times that Inflation is not real. :P
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club