• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsFan1003

My rule changes for 2010-2011

Rate this topic

As an NHL fan who will turn 20 just before the start of the 2010-11 season, I have watched the NHL passionately since I can remember. I vividly remember the rivalry with Colorado from '96 through '02. I remember McCarty's clinching goal in the 1997 Final against the Flyers. I remember Yzerman's Double OT clinching goal against John Casey and the Blues in 1996. I remember Larionov's Triple OT goal in 2002 against Carolina. I remember the joy of winning the first cup in 42 years turn to tragedy one week later in 1997. I was only seven years old then, and I remember the determination of winning for Vladi and Sergei Mnatsakonov in 1998. I'll never forget Stevie Y placing the Cup in Vladi's lap at center ice in Washington. Not a dry eye in Hockeytown at that moment, and one that no one will ever forget. I remember Shanahan's Irish Jig every time he scored. I remember Yzerman taking a puck to the eye in 2004 against Calgary. I remember the joy of winning in 2002, and then be shocked when we were swept the following year in the first round by the Ducks. I remember watching Steve Yzerman's final game in 2006 at Rexall Place in Edmonton. I remember watching his press conference and tears rolling down my face when he announced his retirement. I remember Lidstrom's goal against Dan Cloutier in 2002 from the Center Red Line. I remember the Russian Five. I remember the Swede Eight. These are only some of the moments I remember from the thousands of games I've watched. Since the lockout in 2004-05, I must admit this NHL has completely digressed from the hockey that I grew up watching. Now I'm going on 20 and still growing up and maturing, but there need to be some changes, for the good of the game.

Here is what I am requesting, not only as a die-hard Red Wings fan but as a hockey fan in general.

1. Intent to Blow the Whistle - There are four referees, four whistles, eight eyes, four mouths, eight legs, but one sound that is clear, a blown whistle. This rule is so flawed. Plain and simple: The play shall be live until the whistle actually sounds. With the rule "Intent to Blow the Whistle," it gives referees power to wave-off any goal they desire. It also creates controversy of any goal that happens to be waived off and whether the "Intent to Blow the Whistle" was there or not. This problem is so simple to fix: PLAY IS LIVE UNTIL A REFEREE'S WHISTLE ACTUALLY SOUNDS.

2. Video Review - Plays that are blown dead due to "Intent to blow the whistle" or "Goalie Interference" are non-reviewable yet goals off of high sticks or kicked in are reviewable. With this logic, players should be able to high stick pucks in the net and make a case "Intent to hit it down to skates" or "Intent to kick it to my stick, not in the net." Goalie Interference shall be reviewable, whether called a penalty, play just blown dead, or play results in a goal, and shall be determined by a player making contact with the goalie inside the crease, however, goalie interference shall not be called outside the crease. Also, I never understood why they go to Toronto when a goal is under review. Goal judges shall have their own booth with all camera angles within every arena and make the decision there. Better yet, do like the NBA where the officials look at the angles and make a decision rinkside. Plain and simple: Every goal, questionable for any reason or otherwise, shall be reviewable, upon coach or player request, and an explanation be made either way.

3. Trapezoid - I understand why this rule was implemented, but it has only left defenseman vulnerable to serious injury. Because of this, the NHL has two choices. One, they can take out the trapezoid and allow the goalie to play the puck at will. Two, they take out the trapezoid and have no-touch icing. Personally, I like the goalie to have the choice to play it at will. Last I checked, the goalie is a player too. He should be able to play the puck where he chooses, as long as it's on his side of Center Ice. Plain and simple: Take the Trapezoid out and the goalie shall be allowed to play the puck at will.

These are three changes that would make the NHL much better. Now I can say let's get rid of all the ticky tacky penalties, and I do, I want the NHL to be officiated the way these past Olympics were, and the way pre-lockout hockey was officiated. I would like to see somewhere in the middle of the road between what is called today, and what was called in the Olympics and pre-lockout. Hopefully, the NHL will make these changes and we can see a much better game on the ice beginning next season. I also think the NHL should be negotiating a contract with ESPN, FOX, and/or ABC. The NHL, in the 90's and into the 2000's, had contracts with FOX, ABC, and ESPN. They now have NBC and VERSUS. Now I'm not saying sign with all these stations because they can't, but they can with at least one.

the goalie interference rule is, i think, a very complicated one, and one that won't get into in this post. i'm still undecided on no-touch icing, but i do think the trapezoid should go.

regarding the "intent to blow" change, i totally agree. here's what i've seen happen several times:

- the puck is loose.

- the goalie is trying to cover it.

- an attacking player is chipping at the loose puck.

- the puck goes in the net.

- the whistle sounds after the puck is over the goal line.

- the goal is disallowed on intent to blow.

to me, this makes no sense because, in spite of the fact that the ref allegedly lost sight of the puck, the goalie and his defensemen should have STILL BEEN PLAYING because they had not heard the whistle! if, on review, it's shown that the goalie was pushed into the net with the puck in his control, i can see the goal being waived. but if the review shows a loose puck that was chipped in before ANYONE HEARD A WHISTLE, as long as the puck was over the line before the whistle actually went, i see no, no, no reason why that goal should not count.

that situation, to me, seems like, more than any other situation, the refs impacting the outcome of a game far more than they should.

i don't care if you intended to blow -- if you blew unfairly, well, we'll just have to live with that, because once the whistle goes, people stop playing, and anything that happens after that cannot be counted. i am fully in support of that, even if the call goes against the wings. BUT IF A GOAL GOES IN BEFORE THE WHISTLE AND YOU STILL DON'T COUNT IT, to me, that is bulls***. normally, i'm opposed to will-o-the-whisp rule changes, but, for me, this seems like it needs to be changed.

Great post. I agree with pretty much all of it.

Especially the video reviews for any questionable goal. People argue this will slow the game, but I think it's worth it to ensure the right call is made. I'm sure buffalo would agree.

Another rule I want to see cleared up is the kicking rule. Either allow goals to be kicked in ( I don't see how this is a problem) OR remove any goals which go off a skate. As it stands now, there is waaay to much of a grey area and it's infuriating.

Guest Shoreline

I think they should rid of the 2 man ref system -- it, along with the single ref system, is a proven fail alike.

Rid of the instigator. Doesn't curb s***.

Less = more. As in, less rules, more smooth game. More rules, more bureaucracy, more bulls*** like the NFL. Remove "intent" to blow the whistle. If he doesn't blow the ******* whistle he doesn't. It's good. If he kicks the puck in, then he kicks the puck in. Maybe a safety rule to make it so any kicked goal inside the crease = bad. I don't see this as a tough issue to tackle.

It's almost as if they make rules so as to make those believe there's a conspiracy. *shrugs*

Edited by Shoreline

They won't change the intent to blow the whistle rule. The reason the ref is calling the play dead in the first place is that he has lost sight of the puck. Telling them to change that is like telling them that they should allow goals that are not visible to the referee. How is the referee supposed to do his job (make sure the goalie isn't interfered with, a hand isn't placed on the puck, or that the net isn't purposely taken off the moorings, etc) if he doesn't even know where the puck is? I think there will always be that lag time for the ref to blow the whistle. Even though losing those goals is a tough pill to swallow, I don't think it'll change.

Edited by The Nephilim

Guest mindfly

Allow the coach with 1 challenge-the-call per game

Edited by mindfly

As an NHL fan who will turn 20 just before the start of the 2010-11 season, I have watched the NHL passionately since I can remember. I vividly remember the rivalry with Colorado from '96 through '02. I remember McCarty's clinching goal in the 1997 Final against the Flyers. I remember Yzerman's Double OT clinching goal against John Casey and the Blues in 1996. I remember Larionov's Triple OT goal in 2002 against Carolina. I remember the joy of winning the first cup in 42 years turn to tragedy one week later in 1997. I was only seven years old then, and I remember the determination of winning for Vladi and Sergei Mnatsakonov in 1998. I'll never forget Stevie Y placing the Cup in Vladi's lap at center ice in Washington. Not a dry eye in Hockeytown at that moment, and one that no one will ever forget. I remember Shanahan's Irish Jig every time he scored. I remember Yzerman taking a puck to the eye in 2004 against Calgary. I remember the joy of winning in 2002, and then be shocked when we were swept the following year in the first round by the Ducks. I remember watching Steve Yzerman's final game in 2006 at Rexall Place in Edmonton. I remember watching his press conference and tears rolling down my face when he announced his retirement. I remember Lidstrom's goal against Dan Cloutier in 2002 from the Center Red Line. I remember the Russian Five. I remember the Swede Eight. These are only some of the moments I remember from the thousands of games I've watched. Since the lockout in 2004-05, I must admit this NHL has completely digressed from the hockey that I grew up watching. Now I'm going on 20 and still growing up and maturing, but there need to be some changes, for the good of the game.

Here is what I am requesting, not only as a die-hard Red Wings fan but as a hockey fan in general.

1. Intent to Blow the Whistle - There are four referees, four whistles, eight eyes, four mouths, eight legs, but one sound that is clear, a blown whistle. This rule is so flawed. Plain and simple: The play shall be live until the whistle actually sounds. With the rule "Intent to Blow the Whistle," it gives referees power to wave-off any goal they desire. It also creates controversy of any goal that happens to be waived off and whether the "Intent to Blow the Whistle" was there or not. This problem is so simple to fix: PLAY IS LIVE UNTIL A REFEREE'S WHISTLE ACTUALLY SOUNDS.

2. Video Review - Plays that are blown dead due to "Intent to blow the whistle" or "Goalie Interference" are non-reviewable yet goals off of high sticks or kicked in are reviewable. With this logic, players should be able to high stick pucks in the net and make a case "Intent to hit it down to skates" or "Intent to kick it to my stick, not in the net." Goalie Interference shall be reviewable, whether called a penalty, play just blown dead, or play results in a goal, and shall be determined by a player making contact with the goalie inside the crease, however, goalie interference shall not be called outside the crease. Also, I never understood why they go to Toronto when a goal is under review. Goal judges shall have their own booth with all camera angles within every arena and make the decision there. Better yet, do like the NBA where the officials look at the angles and make a decision rinkside. Plain and simple: Every goal, questionable for any reason or otherwise, shall be reviewable, upon coach or player request, and an explanation be made either way.

3. Trapezoid - I understand why this rule was implemented, but it has only left defenseman vulnerable to serious injury. Because of this, the NHL has two choices. One, they can take out the trapezoid and allow the goalie to play the puck at will. Two, they take out the trapezoid and have no-touch icing. Personally, I like the goalie to have the choice to play it at will. Last I checked, the goalie is a player too. He should be able to play the puck where he chooses, as long as it's on his side of Center Ice. Plain and simple: Take the Trapezoid out and the goalie shall be allowed to play the puck at will.

These are three changes that would make the NHL much better. Now I can say let's get rid of all the ticky tacky penalties, and I do, I want the NHL to be officiated the way these past Olympics were, and the way pre-lockout hockey was officiated. I would like to see somewhere in the middle of the road between what is called today, and what was called in the Olympics and pre-lockout. Hopefully, the NHL will make these changes and we can see a much better game on the ice beginning next season. I also think the NHL should be negotiating a contract with ESPN, FOX, and/or ABC. The NHL, in the 90's and into the 2000's, had contracts with FOX, ABC, and ESPN. They now have NBC and VERSUS. Now I'm not saying sign with all these stations because they can't, but they can with at least one.

I pretty much just skimmed this post, but your main points are pretty much what I want to get rid off. Agree on the trapezoid, and a play is not dead until the whistle is actually blown. Either the puck crossed the line before you blew the whistle resulting in a goal, or you blew the whistle first then no goal. I know it doesn't help when the puck isn't fully covered by a goalie in a scramble around the net, but something like that probably won't ever be taken care of, for better/worse.

As for video reviews, I would like to see it to where the NHL goes by whatever model the NFL or college football goes by. Granted, it isn't perfect, I remember watching the Saints season opener last season (against the Lions actually) and there were a few questionable calls that, for whatever reason, were not reviewable. I don't remember exactly what the plays were. However, the main point I'm trying to make is that I rarely ever find myself seething over the officiating in a football game because more often than not, if referees are uncertain about a call due to natural human judgement/error, they'll go to video review (such as did a running back fumble the football or not before his knees touch the ground/he was tackled), even if a coach doesn't challenge a call. The NFL and college football more often than not has their act together when it comes to officiating.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Get rid of the instigator.

Get rid of intent to blow. If a ref is going to blow, then he needs to blow. If he was about to blow due to a penalty, then say that the goal was no good due to the specific penalty.

Has anyone ever hear of the Intent to Blow the Whistle rule outside of the NHL? The referees in my league would be removed from the league if they dared to call something so idiotic.

Get rid of the instigator.

Get rid of intent to blow. If a ref is going to blow, then he needs to blow. If he was about to blow due to a penalty, then say that the goal was no good due to the specific penalty.

I think MODIFY the instigator is what you want... a guy should not be able to jump a guy without retribution and it does have it's place, however, the automatic suspension in the final minute, instigator rule at league call, etc, is a joke... if anything it needs to be called and enforced more(a guy shouldn't HAVE to fight for throwing a clean hit - a guy wants retribution, fine, you get an instigator and cost your team a PP) the only problem is, it needs to be enforced with an additional 2 minute minor, not a game and a suspension...

to the OP though, I couldn't agree more.

All and all the biggest thing this league needs is one thing - CONSISTENCY

intent to blow has to go. its not fair for all teams. if the ref doesnt blow the play dead fast enough, it will be the same for all teams. the intent to blow also depends on the refs vantage point on the ice and is sometimes not even close to being right. everyone will get equal chances if intent to blow is gone because it wont depend on the individual referee's style during the game - everyone drives the net.

I would like to see more liberal kicking the puck in the net rules..... I mean, the rule was so that goalies wouldnt be cut, so you could not lift your skate blade to kick it in, however, now, you cant even direct your skate pretty much as we say with the sedin goal earlier. its just too nitpicky, id say as long as the skate is on the ice its a good goal regardless of kicking because its just as dangerous then as driving the net and having the puck hit your body and go in.

I also think the NHL should be negotiating a contract with ESPN, FOX, and/or ABC. The NHL, in the 90's and into the 2000's, had contracts with FOX, ABC, and ESPN. They now have NBC and VERSUS. Now I'm not saying sign with all these stations because they can't, but they can with at least one.

well, if they got a contract with ABC, it would probably be on ESPN as well. They are both owned by Disney, so they would spread the love. Doubt it will happen for a while though. ESPN dropped NHL because they didnt want to pay enough to stay there. Eventually if NHL wants to get as mainstream as they can be, they will tuck their tails and beg to come back to ESPN. I hope it happens. Soon...

Pretty much agree with everything posted. Speaking of video review, I'd like them to really address and go after divers. Review tape of plays that may be embellished, and throw out fines and then suspensions for repeat offenders. I think soccer/futbol is a great sport but I can barely watch it due to the diving. I don't want that to infect hockey more than it has.

Plain and simple: Take the Trapezoid out and the goalie shall be allowed to play the puck at will.

Agree with this. Why should a goalie who has the skill to handle a puck be peanlized for it. I would also like to see no touch icing. I think we have seen one too many players get injured as they chase the puck for icing.

Agree with this. Why should a goalie who has the skill to handle a puck be peanlized for it. I would also like to see no touch icing. I think we have seen one too many players get injured as they chase the puck for icing.

If you remove the trapezoid, you don't need no-touch icing...

Get rid of the instigator rule and start calling diving again.

I'm tired of players picking up sure powerplay chances because refs are instructed by the league to call less divings nowadays.

Also, get rid of the double-minor high sticking penalty whenever there's blood. I started a thread about this several months ago. It's a stupid rule that doesn't depend on severity of the high stick, as much as the luck of whether it draws blood or not.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Has anyone ever hear of the Intent to Blow the Whistle rule outside of the NHL? The referees in my league would be removed from the league if they dared to call something so idiotic.

nope. every other sport doesn't have such a stupid rule. In every other sport, from kiddie leagues up, participants are taught to play to the whistle.

Also, get rid of the double-minor high sticking penalty whenever there's blood. I started a thread about this several months ago. It's a stupid rule that doesn't depend on severity of the high stick, as much as the luck of whether it draws blood or not.

I see what you're getting at but I always thought it was kinda cool that there is a specific penalty for making the opponent bleed :P

Eliminate "Intent to blow" and play until whistle actually sounds.

Instead of two referees and two linesmen, have four referees in a diamond formation; basically one referee down low at each end and two along the boards covering the center ice area. Referees should follow the play as necessary and allow primary discretion of calls to the referee whose 'zone' the play is in. If a referee sees a call away from the pla, he should make it, but he should not make calls such as offsides, hand pass, high stick or frozen puck unless he is the referee in that zone. If a play is under review, all referees should view video if possible, and determine the final call.

Eliminate trapezoid.

Goaltender penalties; the goaltender is removed from the ice for the duration of his penalty, and another player serves in the box for him. He may not return to the ice until the next stoppage in play.

Well said.

The only rule I can think of off the top of my head is:

No Matt Cooke in the game of hockey. Ever.

Sounds good to me.

One more that really bothers me...delay of game for shooting the puck over the glass.Most times this is accidental during a clearing attempt and doesn't delay the game any more than an icing call,which isn't a penalty?

How about treating this the same as icing...faceoff in your end and you can't change?

One day someone will lose the cup on this bogus call.

I've never seen the rule do anything but take away legit goals. I would be happy if they just made the 'intent to blow' calls reviewable. It's not like anyone on the ice knows when the ref intends to blow the whistle, so any smart player is going to keep fighting until the whistle actually sounds.

I can live with an accidentally quick whistle, but not robbing teams of goals because a ref says he meant to accidentally blow a quick whistle.

And another one that bugs me is all the holding the stick calls that get missed. Typically, it happens on hooks. The player getting hooked pins the guys stick between his arm and body to make sure he gets a call. The result is usually just the hook getting called. Sometimes it will also happen in battles along the boards, usually with either no call or, if the player fights too hard to free his stick, a wrong call. Often, players having their sticks held this way will just drop them. That will earn a call every now and then, but not often enough (and sometimes it's still called a hook). It really puts defenders at a disadvantage.

Edited by Buppy