• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Wings sign Mattias Ritola

Rate this topic

Good for Mattias but sadly, I see this extremely cheap contract being honoured by another team as it looks like we want to send him down to GR for another season, at least to start with. I'm pretty sure he will be claimed by another team as what's not to like about picking up a talented, possible 3rd line on an extremely cheap deal?

Good for Mattias but sadly, I see this extremely cheap contract being honoured by another team as it looks like we want to send him down to GR for another season, at least to start with. I'm pretty sure he will be claimed by another team as what's not to like about picking up a talented, possible 3rd line on an extremely cheap deal?

Considering he's done nothing in the NHL thus far, and not exactly tearing up the AHL, I wouldn't be surprised if he cleared waivers. The 2-way deal keeps him exempt from recall waivers, so that's good. Still, I hope he makes the roster.

Guest Heaten

What are you talking about, Ritola has been solid in every NHL game I watched him. He makes stuff happen and plays a solid defensive game in his own end. I think he will make a solid 3rd line center. I think the contract is a steal.

I like the way he plays. I doubt he'll ever be a 2nd line scorer, but I do think he'll make one hell of a 3rd liner. I am excited to see him play more. He's fun to watch and can dangle the s*** out of people. He strong along the board and is great winning 1 on 1 battles. His take away skills remind me of Datsyuk. He's got the tools to become one of those Franzen story.

What are you talking about, Ritola has been solid in every NHL game I watched him. He makes stuff happen and plays a solid defensive game in his own end. I think he will make a solid 3rd line center. I think the contract is a steal.

I like the way he plays. I doubt he'll ever be a 2nd line scorer, but I do think he'll make one hell of a 3rd liner. I am excited to see him play more. He's fun to watch and can dangle the s*** out of people. He strong along the board and is great winning 1 on 1 battles. His take away skills remind me of Datsyuk. He's got the tools to become one of those Franzen story.

Agreed... he's still young and developing too...

I love this signing and just hope he is still in the pipeline through this season and doesn't become an odd man out by the logjam in the bottom part of our lineup, to be here when the roster opens up a little with Drapers impending retirement at the end of 2011...

LOL " What are you talking about, Ritola has been solid in every NHL game i watched him."

Im sure you were impressed with all 5 of his NHL games but its not enough to attract other teams im sure

LOL " What are you talking about, Ritola has been solid in every NHL game i watched him."

Im sure you were impressed with all 5 of his NHL games but its not enough to attract other teams im sure

How would that not attract other teams?!?!? This would be a waiver pick up, not a trade, they would lose nothing to pick up a guy with a TON of potential... ANY team with lack of depth and openings on their bottom 6 would likely claim him...

Mattias is a gifted player and I'll be a little pissed if we let him get away for nothing. PS-any word from Nick yet? Or will they make us wait until July first?

agreed, we CANNOT lose him for nothing, I love our loyalty, but if it comes down to it, they need to waive Draper before they waive Ritola... he may not ever be more than a 4th line guy in this league, but he has WAY too much potential to lose for nothing...

After his starts in the playoffs it is extremely unlikely that he would go unclaimed.

Other teams gm/scouts:

"hey look, the red wings have placed some young swede on waivers"

"hmm... never heard of him" *looks up ritola* "it says here he played in a few playoff games, thats kind of impressive"

*watches game tape of playoff games*

"hey he looked pretty good, whats his contract like?"

"3 years dirt cheap"

"claim him!!!!!!!"

The fact that Holland made sure to include a two-way deal in the first year doesn't mean he plans on sending him down-- just that he's leaving the option open. I'm not worried about it. He looked fine in all of his NHL games so far and the Wings like his upside.

So you're laughing at Heaton's judgment based on 5 games of play yet you are sure your judgment is valid? Interesting.

After his starts in the playoffs it is extremely unlikely that he would go unclaimed.

Other teams gm/scouts:

"hmm... never heard of him" *looks up ritola* "it says here he played in a few playoff games, thats kind of impressive"

"3 years dirt cheap"

"claim him!!!!!!!"

+1

Considering he's done nothing in the NHL thus far, and not exactly tearing up the AHL, I wouldn't be surprised if he cleared waivers. The 2-way deal keeps him exempt from recall waivers, so that's good. Still, I hope he makes the roster.

Basically. Edited by Konnan511

Other teams gm/scouts:

"3 years dirt cheap"

"claim him!!!!!!!"

He played one playoff game. 7:45 of ice time. Credited with one hit and one takeaway. In 7 regular season games over the past three seasons, he's played around 70 minutes. 1 assist, 7 hits, 2 blocks, 2 giveaways, 2 takeaways, 0-3 on faceoffs, and 11 shots. He isn't a former high draft pick. He hasn't been that impressive in his two seasons in GR. He's average size and speed.

Nothing about any of that screams 'notice me'. I don't think other teams will pay special attention to him simply because he's from the Wings organization.

He has some potential and a minimum wage contract. That's really it. It's far from certain that he would be claimed.

As I said, I hope he earns a spot so we don't have to risk it, but honestly, if he can't win at least the 13/14th spot against his likely competition, I think there'd be a good chance he would pass, and even if he was claimed I wouldn't really care.

I hope that he plays atleast half the season next year, I think if you start giving this guy ice time in the NHL he can become a really good player possibly 2nd liner. I swear hes just like filppula.