• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

WC in Pitt. pretty much a done deal for 2011

Rate this topic

Ratings gold.

There's your explanation. NHL needs to market itself, and this is probably their biggest stage all year. It makes business sense to put their two biggest names in the same game.

I'll watch it, if for nothing else than there's only one game like this a year. And Go Caps!

This isn't too surprising, these two teams are an obvious choice for the NHL when it comes to marketing, no matter how we may feel.

If its anything like recent Pens and Caps match ups then this could be an exciting game. I'm looking forward to it.

...having said that, I wouldn't object to something like a Wings and Leafs WC.

WC...is that short for 'Wagon Classic? Or possibly We Choked...

Honestly, I think it's a good match-up, and I'm glad the Caps are getting to do it, but I wish they would have let a few more DIFFERENT teams have a turn before they cycled around to the darn Pens again. I mean, if you're going to go with the Caps, the obvious thing to do would be to have them play the Pens, but the timing sure isn't great. We'll only have had 4 of these things after next year, and the Pens will have been in half of them? That's just not right.

In case anybody from Gary's office is listening, I am not going to quit whining until I get my Habs-Leafs WC, just FYI. Whine whine whine.

D_oh.jpg

Pretty much one of my many not happy emotions regarding this. I'd like to see other teams and players marketed outside of these two. And I think other teams should be able to play an outdoor game first before double dipping for seconds is allowed. So sick and tired of seeing and hearing about thou who will not be named, and to a lesser degree Ovechkin. Enough already with shoving them down our throats.

Yes, I get that it will probably be a ratings boom.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

With all the teams yet to participate, this is ridiculous that Pit gets a second one... with the way things are shaping up in the playoff's this year, they should have done like a Montreal v. _insert opponent here_ game...

Maybe Montreal v. Washington...

either way... I will not watch this year if Pit is involved again.

Really? All the teams that haven't gotten a Winter Classic showing and Pittsburgh gets 2 of what will be 4 (5 if your count Heritage)? God, I hate the NHL more and more each day.

Ratings boom for sure, but what we're really seeing is another example of the NHL's M.O.: fans of hockey are going to hate this between the overhyped Penguins going in there twice in 4 years and the months of Sidney Crosby vs. Alexander Ovechkin exploitation they are already strangled by, BUT we might get a few NBA fans to watch!

In other words, screw hockey fans, we've done worse, we're going after the NBA crowd! In fact, is it cool if we just trade fanbases, NBA?

Well the thing is yes this will get big ratings BUT in the long run the NHL is hurting itself. It should be using this opportunity to showcase other star players. The NHL is gambling that either Pittsburgh or Washington is going to win the east every year. That didn't happen this year so it will be interesting to see what kind of ratings the SCF gets because most casual sports fans won't care about the game if Crosby and Ovechkin are out because those are the only two players they know anything about.

This love fest with these two players and teams is getting really old.

I can understand the issue most people have with the constant promotion of Crosby and Ovechkin, but I think people need to step back and appreciate just how good these players are.

As of right now (I know numbers could decline, but both are still years away from their primes):

Career points per game leaders in NHL history:

Gretzky - 1.921

Lemieux - 1.883

Bossy - 1.497

Orr - 1.393

Crosby - 1.364

Ovechkin - 1.336

Dionne - 1.314

Pretty impressive group to be included within. Again, over the long haul, their stats may begin to lag, but it is also important to point out that all the others on this list played in a much higher scorer era than today's NHL. While they have tried to increase scoring, scoring is still low and goalies are lightyears ahead of where they used to be.

People need to understand that these players are special and if the NHL doesn't market them as such, they are missing out. To NHL fans of other teams, it gets annoying, but I do think these guys draw in new fans.

People need to understand that these players are special and if the NHL doesn't market them as such, they are missing out. To NHL fans of other teams, it gets annoying, but I do think these guys draw in new fans.

Sure does.

I can understand the issue most people have with the constant promotion of Crosby and Ovechkin, but I think people need to step back and appreciate just how good these players are.

As of right now (I know numbers could decline, but both are still years away from their primes):

Career points per game leaders in NHL history:

Gretzky - 1.921

Lemieux - 1.883

Bossy - 1.497

Orr - 1.393

Crosby - 1.364

Ovechkin - 1.336

Dionne - 1.314

Pretty impressive group to be included within. Again, over the long haul, their stats may begin to lag, but it is also important to point out that all the others on this list played in a much higher scorer era than today's NHL. While they have tried to increase scoring, scoring is still low and goalies are lightyears ahead of where they used to be.

For first 5 seasons:

2.33 Gretzky

1.94 Lemieux

1.81 Malone

1.69 Lalonde

1.56 Deneny

1.53 Stastny

1.49 Bossy

1.47 Lindros

1.42 Nighbor

1.41 Kurri

1.36 Trottier

1.36 Crosby

1.34 Selanne

1.34 Ovechkin

1.23 Malkin (4 seasons)

Once again reminded me how much of a stud Lindros was -- 1.47 PPG in the deadpuck era is far more impressive than Ovechkin and Crosby right now. So is Forsberg's 1.28 and Kariya's 1.25 PPG.

Interestingly, amongst forwards primes are often over by the age of 25.

Edited by egroen

To repeat the best answer to this post so far:

Ratings Gold!!

The NHL has a smaller fan base than the NBA, they need to draw fans to young superstar players.

As a Wings Fan I am instantly jealous and say fine in 11-12 I want Wings v Toronto at the Big House.

But the realist in me kicks in and realizes old glory (as in teams winning forever) does not bring in new fans, exposing teams that were bad and are now good, especially if that is because they have superstar talent is a smart Marketing move. Then you factor in that AO had issues with Malkin, does not appear to like Sidney Crosby, this has all the makings of a rivalry.

The NHL would be stupid not to put these guys on display every chance they get.

Listen when has national TV coverage ever been even, I can't remember a time in any sport where certain teams (based on winning, star players, whatever) didn't get the most coverage.

Hell the NFL bases their Monday night lineup on how you finish the season ranked.

Super bowl winner I believe gets 4 MNF, runner up gets 3, blah blah blah.

That is based on winning, but then again NFL is one of the top 3 sports in the world (Formula one/racing, soccer/futbol), it can afford to put whomever it wants where and when it wants. The NHL on the other hand needs to spend time growing the sport.

And I know all of the stats that say the league has grown a fan base over the past 6-7 years, sure but shining a dog turd doesn't change the fact that it is your least favorite part of your dog!

And that the NHL is still the least popular Major sport in NA (well maybe not Canada, that may have been an exaggeration), not including MLS and Poker. (Poker was a joke)

Slutty puckbunnies don't count as fans. I don't care about the whole marketing thing - if I were one of the 26 teams that hadn't been in the WC yet, I'd be fuming. This had better draw in some new fans, because a lot of current fans apparently won't be watching. Count me as one of those changing my oil or washing my hair during this one.

Sorry, Opie, they're still stupid. I am a fan, and I won't be watching this.

I imagine you'll be in the vast majority of the general population of NHL fans. Either way, ratings, I would guess, would be greater for this than most other matchups you can think of.

I know I'll get eaten alive on here for this, but..

I think there should be 2 games for the winter classic on NY Day. One at noon, and one during the evening.

I know, I know, you'll argue that it cheapens the experience, but is having "ZOMFG, Crosby vs. Ovechkin in Heinz Field!!!!1!" any better?

You could do something like have a couple lesser contenders, or up and coming contenders early on in the day, say Colorado vs. Minnesota, and then a couple heavyweights during prime time, like s***sburgh vs. Washington, or Wings vs. (Insert victim)

I imagine you'll be in the vast majority of the general population of NHL fans. Either way, ratings, I would guess, would be greater for this than most other matchups you can think of.

I would watch the Wings and Chicago. I like RedFlag85's idea: have an evening game with Original Six teams - Boston/Montreal? Fun! They hate each other. :hehe:

I guess I am more about quality hockey than marketing the NHL. Just me, perhaps.

How many of the 26 teams that have not had a WC deserve one, how many of their owners use the team to make money only, how many of those teams are in desperate need of a sale or move, and most importantly how many of them can have ice outdoors on NYD? You can't have FLA v TBL or LAK v ANA or DAL v PHO.

If you can't host the WC, imo, you can't be in it.

Sorry that is the way I think.

Opie's one size solution fits all problems: SCF rematch every New Years Day, you want a WC, get to the SCF. That still doesn't solve the problem of LAK v TBL.

The world is not fair, not even close, not every one gets the same opportunities in life.

Reward teams that deserve it, Pitt was almost sold, they dug their way back, say what you want about draft choices, but how come no one else with high draft picks can reclaim the cup. Pho, Edm, Fla.. I could go on but you get the point, Fla has had more high draft choices in the past few years than Pitt did to rebuild.

That franchise should be rewarded, I also think that teams like Det, Van, SJ etc.. should be rewarded for their continued excellence, but marketing Det's excellence isn't easy. It began too long ago and no one wants to root for the constant winner unless:

1. It was their team to begin with, before all of the winning.

2. They are a bandwagon fan.

The NHL needs to be able to support itself, right now three teams are looking to sell, two of which made the playoffs, one of which could barely give tickets away in the regular season. That same club had away fans dressed in white to blend into the white out, I saw a lot of white Winged Wheel jerseys and that was just what I saw on TV.

The WC is the most profitable and most marketable game of the regular season, it has to be handed out as a reward, not just because you are a part of the league.

Does this feed into the Crosby- Bettman tinfoil hat crowd, unfortunately yes very much so, in fact it even looks suspicious, as I said though, as a Wings fan I am instantly Jealous.

Sidenote:

I love this board for all of it predictability, if this were to be Det v Was not a god damn one of you would feel bad for the other 26 teams, you use that "empathy" to mask the fact you are just pissed it is the Pens.

Boston and Det (mon if you include Heritage game) can have second WC's but not Pitt??

HUH?

And Pit Was is not quality hockey?

Your arguments are falling apart in front of you puckloo.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Really? All the teams that haven't gotten a Winter Classic showing and Pittsburgh gets 2 of what will be 4 (5 if your count Heritage)? God, I hate the NHL more and more each day.

Ratings boom for sure, but what we're really seeing is another example of the NHL's M.O.: fans of hockey are going to hate this between the overhyped Penguins going in there twice in 4 years and the months of Sidney Crosby vs. Alexander Ovechkin exploitation they are already strangled by, BUT we might get a few NBA fans to watch!

In other words, screw hockey fans, we've done worse, we're going after the NBA crowd! In fact, is it cool if we just trade fanbases, NBA?

Why would the NHL want to trade fan bases with the NBA? The NHL does more ticket sales, which is where the real money is at. The NBA just has more people staring at TNT.

Edit: ohh.. and Pens getting a second WC over any O6 team that hasn't.....sigh. I hate the NHL management & marketing.

Edited by CaliWingsNut