• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

WC in Pitt. pretty much a done deal for 2011

Rate this topic

Why would the NHL want to trade fan bases with the NBA? The NHL does more ticket sales, which is where the real money is at. The NBA just has more people staring at TNT.

Huh? Ticket sales are where the NHL's real money is right now, but if you want to make the real dollars, it's in TV revenues, which the NHL currently lacks and would love to obtain.

Slutty puckbunnies don't count as fans.

Exactly my point. :P

I don't care about the whole marketing thing - if I were one of the 26 teams that hadn't been in the WC yet, I'd be fuming. This had better draw in some new fans, because a lot of current fans apparently won't be watching. Count me as one of those changing my oil or washing my hair during this one.

Ditto. Even as an Ovie fan, I have no desire to see this Winter Classic whatsoever.

Frankly, if I was Toronto, I'd be even more pissed. As of right now, they're the only O6 team that still hasn't gotten to play in a Winter Classic (if you count the Habs in the Heritage Classic).

Your arguments are falling apart in front of you puckloo.

I'm not arguing, and don't care if you think my "arguments" aren't up to snuff. Just stating an opinion.

I won't watch the Sidney Slappie Show (again) on Jan 1. Big deal if I don't, I say. I won't watch Pronger gallumph around the ice with the Cup, either, if Phillie manages to win it.

Just stating my opinion. Shoot me, I guess. :rolleyes:

Slutty puckbunnies don't count as fans. I don't care about the whole marketing thing - if I were one of the 26 teams that hadn't been in the WC yet, I'd be fuming. This had better draw in some new fans, because a lot of current fans apparently won't be watching. Count me as one of those changing my oil or washing my hair during this one.

You really think the Panthers and Thrashers are fuming right now? :rolleyes:

Get real folks.

There's only a handful of teams in the US which the league wants to promote in this game. Of course they were going to give the Pens the first 2nd chance before any other team. Washington hasn't had one yet. The only team that should be fuming are the NYR.

These other franchises never had a prayer of being in this game and they know it.

Edited by GMRwings1983

You really think the Panthers and Thrashers are fuming right now? :rolleyes:

Get real folks.

There's only a handful of teams in the US which the league wants to promote in this game. Of course they were going to give the Pens the first 2nd chance before any other team. Washington hasn't had one yet. The only team that should be fuming are the NYR.

These other franchises never had a prayer of being in this game and they know it.

Yes, I think there is some resentment on the part of these teams. Why not just call it the Pens Classic and be done with it then? And what about Toronto? Why shouldn't they be upset? Edmonton, Philly and Buffalo all appear before they do? There's some twisted marketing.

Oh shoot, I forgot about the Rangers, re: O6. Need more coffee apparently. But Toronto, sucky as they are, also deserves a shot before Pittsburgh gets #2.

Not shocked at all.

My question is: How long will it be until Pittsburgh gets its 3rd?

Come on guys.

The league has no interest in putting Canadian teams on US television for this game. The first Winter Classic was in 2004 if I'm not mistaken (Edmonton/Montreal), and the game wasn't even televised. I think the NHL was still on espn back then, too. It's just not surprising that teams like Toronto wouldn't be put in this game just yet. Same with Edmonton. Most casual American sports fans won't watch the Oilers playing outdoors.

As for the Devils, they've never been good for NHL ratings, despite being a U.S. team on the east coast.

It's basically Pittsburg, Detroit, Washington, Chicago, Philly, Boston and New York. Buffalo was only shown because they played the Pens. The league will just keep rotating these teams around most likely.

Exactly my point. tongue.gif

Ditto. Even as an Ovie fan, I have no desire to see this Winter Classic whatsoever.

Frankly, if I was Toronto, I'd be even more pissed. As of right now, they're the only O6 team that still hasn't gotten to play in a Winter Classic (if you count the Habs in the Heritage Classic).

When did the Rangers play in a Winter Classic or outdoor game for that matter?

Plus this is a big thumbdown.gif for the league. But really LGW'ers....you didn't see this one coming??? dry.gif

How about having the U.S. play Canada every year instead of having an All-Star game?

The game could be played outdoors in various venues around North America every year, and would become the new Winter Classic. Or maybe have a North America vs. The World outdoor game every year?

What do you guys think?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Lidstromboli

i could see america vs canada drawing more viewers than the WC

i could see america vs canada drawing more viewers than the WC

Exactly.

It could become an annual game, in place of the boring All-Star game which no one gives a s*** about.

The hardest part would be to make it competitive, kind of like the World Cup or the Olympics, as opposed to having a skate around, which is what an All-Star game is.

I know I'll be watching college football instead of this. It's really too bad, cause I would rather watch a good outdoor game without all the lovefest of Ovi Vs Bitchboy87 on NBC and have them yak about how great they are when no one can play any real defense (see Montreal) on them. It's not that they aren't good players its just I can't stand NBC and their announcers, I would rather watch it on CBC. The other point I'm trying to make is that I would like to watch other players and know other players rather than Ovi and bitchboy. I know there trying to draw in regular fans but cmon its just disappointing is all. I just wish they would market other players like the NFL does. I mean is there really a "face" of the NFL right now if you can I'll name 10 that would be comparable. Thats how you market teams and players.

I just wish they would market other players like the NFL does. I mean is there really a "face" of the NFL right now if you can I'll name 10 that would be comparable. Thats how you market teams and players.

Agree, but I don't necessarily think the NFL is smarter for doing it that way, I think they have to because they never know when one of their star players is going to end up in a shootout at "the club" or in the media for cheating on his wife or doing steroids or something. They almost are forced to spread the media attention around to keep themselves marketably safe. The end result nonetheless is a presumably better marketing strategy and a happier less poster boy saturated fanbase. Take notes NHL.

esteef

When did the Rangers play in a Winter Classic or outdoor game for that matter?

Yep, corrected myself in a later post on that one.

Fine, if Gary doesn't want to showcase Canadian teams, whatever. But the friggin' Rangers? They have a valid gripe. I'd love to see, for instance, a Rangers/Isles Winter Classic. Doesn't matter how much one team or the other sucks, there's just a great rivalry there

Enough of shoving the Penguins down our throats. We get it - you love Crosby, Gary. Accept that there are a great many hockey fans who DON'T.

Edited by edicius

There are times when the NHL wants parity and many, many more times when they clearly don't. I hope they all the Bettman Superstars that are supposed to be in the game pull up lame with groin injuries, and the NHL is left with a "Kunitz vs. Laich" marketing angle for those picayune casual fans.

BTW, casual fans? Seriously GFY and stop ruining the NHL.

No offense to hockey but Jan. 1 is college football day. Has been, always will be. I look at the WC as a gift to regular fans.

Real hockey fans will watch the WC(with remote in hand) but casual fans watch football, that's what makes them casual. The NHL can do whatever but it won't make inroads on that particular day.

If I thought it mattered I'd choose Pitt and Wash too, people who don't watch hockey know who Crosby and Ovie are. Back in the '80's casuals knew who Gretsky was, same thing. They could dig up Rocket Richard and match him up with Gordy and it wouldn't get Bettman a long term contract with NBC or ESPN, but it's his job to try I guess.

No offense to hockey but Jan. 1 is college football day. Has been, always will be. I look at the WC as a gift to regular fans.

Real hockey fans will watch the WC(with remote in hand) but casual fans watch football, that's what makes them casual. The NHL can do whatever but it won't make inroads on that particular day.

If I thought it mattered I'd choose Pitt and Wash too, people who don't watch hockey know who Crosby and Ovie are. Back in the '80's casuals knew who Gretsky was, same thing. They could dig up Rocket Richard and match him up with Gordy and it wouldn't get Bettman a long term contract with NBC or ESPN, but it's his job to try I guess.

I would have used Gretzky and Gordie. Better examples than Gretsky and Gordy. Lol.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Really? All the teams that haven't gotten a Winter Classic showing and Pittsburgh gets 2 of what will be 4 (5 if your count Heritage)? God, I hate the NHL more and more each day.

Ratings boom for sure, but what we're really seeing is another example of the NHL's M.O.: fans of hockey are going to hate this between the overhyped Penguins going in there twice in 4 years and the months of Sidney Crosby vs. Alexander Ovechkin exploitation they are already strangled by, BUT we might get a few NBA fans to watch!

In other words, screw hockey fans, we've done worse, we're going after the NBA crowd! In fact, is it cool if we just trade fanbases, NBA?

OMFG. The whining. Does it take a genius to understand that the Winter Classic is marketed NOT TO YOU! You are already a fan. Bettman doesn't give a s*** about you. You're going to watch hockey anyway. You are already a fan. He isn't concerned with the feelings of Wings, Habs, Leafs, Rangers, etc...FANS. This is the biggest game for them to market to NEW FANS. Hence they're going to put the 2 players/teams that they think can generate the most buzz for NEW FANS!

BETTMAN DOES NOT CARE IF "FANS OF HOCKEY" HATE THIS. YOU ARE ALREADY A FAN. THE WC AIN'T FOR YOU! Where is the rocket science in this? Pretty easy to understand if you ask me.