98 replies to this topic

#61 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Thanks Habs for screwing over Bettman and his plans :siren:

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#62 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

All I have to say regarding the "replace the All-Star game" talk is:

Division All-Star teams. 8 forwards, 5 defensemen, 2 goalies.
Teams seeded 1-6 by combined out-of-division record, using points-per-game percentage.

Three round tournament, two 15-minute periods, single elimination. Top two teams get byes, 3v6, 4v5.

Round 1 on Friday night, Skills competition on Saturday afternoon, Round 2 on Saturday evening, Round 3 on Sunday evening.

As far as the WC, there are 17 NHL cities with 18 teams that could properly support an outdoor ice rink on New Year's Day. Including the Heritage Classic, four have hosted games already. Pittsburgh has next year lined up. This leaves Calgary, Denver (Colorado), Columbus, Detroit, Minneapolis (Minnesota), Montreal, Newark (New Jersey), New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Toronto, and Vancouver. Taking out teams that have already participated in an NHL outdoor game as an away game, that leaves the following cities to host the next few WCs: Calgary, Columbus, Denver, Minneapolis, Newark, New York, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver.

Of further notice, Washington is the only team coming from a city that cannot properly support outdoor hockey on New Year's Day that has already participated or been announced so far. So the 9 cities (10 teams) I listed above should fill out the next five WCs after 2011.

Edited by eva unit zero, 19 May 2010 - 11:50 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#63 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

All I have to say regarding the "replace the All-Star game" talk is:

Division All-Star teams. 8 forwards, 5 defensemen, 2 goalies.
Teams seeded 1-6 by combined out-of-division record, using points-per-game percentage.

Three round tournament, two 15-minute periods, single elimination. Top two teams get byes, 3v6, 4v5.

Round 1 on Friday night, Skills competition on Saturday afternoon, Round 2 on Saturday evening, Round 3 on Sunday evening.

As far as the WC, there are 17 NHL cities with 18 teams that could properly support an outdoor ice rink on New Year's Day. Including the Heritage Classic, four have hosted games already. Pittsburgh has next year lined up. This leaves Calgary, Denver (Colorado), Columbus, Detroit, Minneapolis (Minnesota), Montreal, Newark (New Jersey), New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Toronto, and Vancouver. Taking out teams that have already participated in an NHL outdoor game as an away game, that leaves the following cities to host the next few WCs: Calgary, Columbus, Denver, Minneapolis, Newark, New York, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver.

Of further notice, Washington is the only team coming from a city that cannot properly support outdoor hockey on New Year's Day that has already participated or been announced so far. So the 9 cities (10 teams) I listed above should fill out the next five WCs after 2011.

Way too complicated eva.

My idea for an annual outdoor U.S/Canada game is better and simpler. I think that would draw big ratings, whereas the casual sports fan wouldn't care or understand about the format you just described.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#64 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY OVECHKIN OVECHKIN OVECHKIN OVECHKIN PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS PENGUINS and just to make sure, heres some more CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY CROSBY......

Ok Bettman.... you can stop completely over saturating every thing NHL related with Crosby, The Penguins and Ovechkin.
This isnt the NBA. NHL fans dont want to hear about how amazing 1-2 players/teams are and have them constitutionally rammed down their throats.
Seriously i dont give a s*** about how popular hockey ever becomes in the Sates(personally i think it would be better if it stayed less mainstream). Just please stop turning it into a circus in a attempt to popularize it.

#65 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm sick of this crap. Seriously. What a joke...does Bettman not realize how NHL fans are starting (if they haven't already) to resent the Crosby oversaturation? Does he not know how many people were instant Montreal fans ONLY because "Whiney Crosby" got kicked out of the playoffs?

#66 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I find it funny that hockey fans here don't understand just how good Ovechkin/Crosby are.

Not really the argument in the thread Carman. More so that we as hockey fans want to see a different team for once. Granted its just like how the Cavs and Lakers played on Christmas every year but basketball sucks. This is the same thing. Uncle Gary and his NBA habits and ways of force feeding Crosby/Ovie is really tiresome. Not speaking of the players' talents. IF there is a Winter Classic yearly, why not make it the 2 Stanley Cup teams or something similar to this USA/Canada thing I have been reading? Definitely realize that if it was the 2 cup teams it would be Penguins and Wings 2 years in a row so thats also a bit pointless but there must be a better way than just picking his "golden boy" every single time. He isn't even really THAT marketable anyway...

His own countrymen even despise him
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#67 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

I'm sick of this crap. Seriously. What a joke...does Bettman not realize how NHL fans are starting (if they haven't already) to resent the Crosby oversaturation? Does he not know how many people were instant Montreal fans ONLY because "Whiney Crosby" got kicked out of the playoffs?

He still hasn't figured out that nobody outside of Pittsburgh likes Crosby. Even Canadian NHL fans don't like him, despite the overtime Gold winning goal.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#68 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

I like to get my Crosby hate on as much as the next guy, but please let's not turn this into another Crosby thread.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#69 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

I like to get my Crosby hate on as much as the next guy, but please let's not turn this into another Crosby thread.

well everybody knows that he's the reason why they're getting picked again so I think the discussion is warranted.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#70 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Way too complicated eva.

My idea for an annual outdoor U.S/Canada game is better and simpler. I think that would draw big ratings, whereas the casual sports fan wouldn't care or understand about the format you just described.

So like a US vs Canada Olympic style match, so as to make 40-45% of the NHL players ineligible? Doesn't work.

Or a US teams vs Canadian teams game, meaning players from 24 teams vs players from 6 teams? Even worse.

If you want a single All-Star game but don't like the current format, how about this:

Name two All-Star coaches.

The #2 coach gets first pick in a snake draft; each team is a standard 12 forwards and 6 defensemen, with 3 goalies (one for each period, as normal) picked from all 30 teams.

Top 42 players in the league play in the game, split evenly, coached by the top two coaches. As fair as possible every year.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#71 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:11 AM

Name two All-Star coaches.

The #2 coach gets first pick in a snake draft; each team is a standard 12 forwards and 6 defensemen, with 3 goalies (one for each period, as normal) picked from all 30 teams.

Top 42 players in the league play in the game, split evenly, coached by the top two coaches. As fair as possible every year.

this sounds good.

PS If Babcock is one of these two coaches I know who he is going to choose as his no. 1 :)
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#72 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thank you for giving me an excuse to find something else to do that day. This is so unfair. Since when does Pittsburgh deserve to have a second Winter Classic appearance, when there are so many others that haven't even had one? How about Minnesota and Dallas in Minnesota? I think that would be a good one...besides a history that is between them, it would give fans a chance to see teams that they ordinarily don't see. Or Colorado and someone in Denver? Even the Rangers and Islanders in New York, or the Devils and someone in Jersey. This ain't right, and I'll be damned if I'll waste my time watching Buttman's wet dream.
Posted Image

#73 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Way too complicated eva.

I think the biggest reason why the U.S. / Canada Olympic match-up is so special is because it only happens once every 4 years. You aren't going to get the same energy and excitement if it's a yearly event.

As far as the WC being at Heinz Field goes, I get it. It's a ratings boom for the NHL. Obviously, us as fans would much rather see it played elsewhere and I personally believe that there are a large number of teams that should get the Classic once before anyone gets it twice.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#74 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

It would also help if Bettman and co. just scrapped the New Year's Date for this if he wants to try to bring in "new fans", as suggested earlier in here already due to football. While I love watching hockey, I also love college football and last time I checked football is much more popular than hockey for a large majority of people. January 1 is arguably the biggest college football date in terms of the amount of bowl games being played and pretty much all the games are legitimate bigtime matchups, not the Toilet Bowl or other pre-Christmas bowls that more often than not nobody outside of fans of the schools involved will give much of a hoot about. Put it on the second or third weekend of January when college football is pretty much over with/before the Super Bowl, or put it in Febuary when there are no competing championships or playoffs (football is over, March Madness in basketball hasn't begun yet, etc.).

And again, I get the obvious ratings deal but like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant in the NBA, it is just so damned tiring after a while. I get that those two are probably the best players in the NBA today, but that has not affected my desire whatsoever to watch an NBA basketball game in its entirety unless I am at it live. I will barely pay attention to that league until the playoffs start. And even then, if an NHL game is on at the same time, 999 times out of 1000 the NHL game will be on over the NBA game. Market other players and teams ALONG WITH Crosby and Ovechkin and let other teams get a fair crack at the outdoor game. Flooding the market with them all the time and them alone just makes people want to see them fail more.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 21 May 2010 - 09:42 AM.

#75 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Guess who won't be watching..This is ridiculous.Bettman's gonna ruin the Classic because every team who has already played in one shouldn't be playing in another one.There's better markets that are dying for a chance to host a Winter Classic that HAVENT PARTICIPATED IN ONE YET,such as Calgary,Toronto,Minnesota,New York,Montreal,Edmonton,Vancouver,Colorado,and Ottawa.I will not be watching the Winter Classic if this is the case.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#76 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Guess who won't be watching..This is ridiculous.Bettman's gonna ruin the Classic because every team who has already played in one shouldn't be playing in another one.There's better markets that are dying for a chance to host a Winter Classic that HAVENT PARTICIPATED IN ONE YET,such as Calgary,Toronto,Minnesota,New York,Montreal,Edmonton,Vancouver,Colorado,and Ottawa.I will not be watching the Winter Classic if this is the case.

New York lost it's bid because it's hosting a bowl game at Yankee Stadium and - being that it's on NBC - Canadian teams aren't too likely to host it, though Toronto might pull it off.

Minnesota is a nice point, with Target Field - but who do they play? These are typically rivalry games, do they even have an opponent you could call a rival?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stoked on this idea - but it raises a great question.. If not this match-up, then who actually gets it? Knock out the Western and Southern cities because you need snow. Eliminate weak franchises. Who do you have left that hasn't already been involved? lol

#77 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

New York lost it's bid because it's hosting a bowl game at Yankee Stadium and - being that it's on NBC - Canadian teams aren't too likely to host it, though Toronto might pull it off.

Minnesota is a nice point, with Target Field - but who do they play? These are typically rivalry games, do they even have an opponent you could call a rival?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stoked on this idea - but it raises a great question.. If not this match-up, then who actually gets it? Knock out the Western and Southern cities because you need snow. Eliminate weak franchises. Who do you have left that hasn't already been involved? lol

*Canadiens vs. Rangers-Original 6 Matchup
*Maple Leafs vs. Rangers-Original 6 Matchup
*Senators vs. Maple Leafs-Battle Of Ontario.Rivalry Matchup
*Oilers vs. Flames-Battle Of Alberta.Rivalry Matchup

Although the All-Canadian games are unlikely to happen because NBC,if the NHL really wants to promote the game and make as much money as possible,that's the place to do it-Canada.Minnesota could play a divisional foe i suppose,like Colorado?Washington vs. Pittsburgh is ridiculous,it's not a rivalry game.It's just putting the "two biggest stars in the game"against each other.The game is supposed to be a Classic,like an original 6 matchup or a rivalry that's been seemingly going on for years.Pittsburgh-Washington is not what i think of when i think rivalry.It's never been a rivalry.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#78 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

*Canadiens vs. Rangers-Original 6 Matchup
*Maple Leafs vs. Rangers-Original 6 Matchup
*Senators vs. Maple Leafs-Battle Of Ontario.Rivalry Matchup
*Oilers vs. Flames-Battle Of Alberta.Rivalry Matchup

Although the All-Canadian games are unlikely to happen because NBC,if the NHL really wants to promote the game and make as much money as possible,that's the place to do it-Canada.Minnesota could play a divisional foe i suppose,like Colorado?Washington vs. Pittsburgh is ridiculous,it's not a rivalry game.It's just putting the "two biggest stars in the game"against each other.The game is supposed to be a Classic,like an original 6 matchup or a rivalry that's been seemingly going on for years.Pittsburgh-Washington is not what i think of when i think rivalry.It's never been a rivalry.

That plays into what I was saying earlier, though. New York is not hosting a game this year because of the bowl game at New Era Bowl game at Yankee Stadium - that eliminates those two Rangers games. Senators / Leafs would be worth looking into, but that would be a game for hockey fans, you know? It's not a blockbuster match-up. I'd be really surprised to see Oilers / Flames. The worst team in the league taking on a team that didn't even make the playoffs. It's a tricky spot.

I think that Penguins / Capitals is definitely an emerging rivalry. They're close in proximity, they're competing with one another for position at or near the top of the East, and of course they have star power. Sure it might not be what we think of when we think 'Classic' but, it's fitting. Additionally, I don't feel like the NHL really pushed the Classic until the Detroit / Chicago game. A lot of new fans and casual fans likely slept on Pittsburgh / Buffalo.

I keep going back to the idea of Colorado. Would be tons of snow, they have a good outdoor park to play in; but can you really picture the Winter Classic having a match up like Colorado vs. Minnesota?

#79 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Let's see some new teams. I don't want to see the Pens again. Bettman is a retard and needs to be fired. There are 30 teams in the NHL lets get through them all before we see repeating teams.

#80 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Just a thought for all the folks claiming this game has to involve some super awesome rivalry or O-6 matchup. Don't the f***in' Lions play football every Thanksgiving? And they always suck. It's tradition at this point though, Thanksgiving = eat turkey and watch the Lions lose. :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."