• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zata20

Daniel Larsson going to Sweden

Rate this topic

Note that this doesn`t mean the Wings lost his rights. He`s just not playing in the AHL. Larsson is still a Red Wings prospect. That being said, abandoning the Griffins to take an offer in the SEL won`t endear him to the Wings brass. In the end results are all that matters-- as long as Larsson gets better in Sweden the Wings won`t likely begrudge him.

Things seem pretty clear for Larsson, though-- Howard is our number 1 goalie and McCollum is the goalie of the future. Unfortunately Larsson was just too close in age to Howard to fit in perfectly. It sucks that he didn`t want to stick around in the AHL but he did put 2 years in there so maybe the money in Sweden was just too tempting when combined with the comfort of being at home again.

With Howard stepping up I didn't really see a future in the Wings for Larsson. He seemed to be having a tough year in the AHL and that coupled with the fact that he probably realized that he'd have to spend at the very least one more year down there before he got a decent shot in the big leagues most likely was what made him decide to go back home.

Guest mindfly

Maybe i Would leave if i was him too, has he played 3-4 years in GR and not even a start in detroit? way to take care of your prospects mr.holland <_<

Maybe i Would leave if i was him too, has he played 3-4 years in GR and not even a start in detroit? way to take care of your prospects mr.holland <_<

he got 91 starts in 2 seasons there. i would say that is a good amount of development. perhaps the wings told him that there wasn't much chance of him getting nhl time in the future, but i think this is 99% on larsson.

Ha, maybe they should waive Jimmy so they don't hurt this guy's feelings. Sorry, Danny, there's too many guys and not enough spots -- thems the breaks with being a goalie.

I wouldnt be suprised if players start doing this soon to if the Wings always/keep looking around the league signing guys like Williams instead of giving a young guy the chance to step in.

you do realize that even without all the injuries, that the wings had several young guys that made it into the lineup this year? (helm, leino, ericsson, and howard) and when you consider that abdelkader had established himself as one of the first callups, that was really 5 rookies they planned on breaking in this year. i agree the williams signing was awful, but this really isn't the best time to say the wings aren't getting young guys into the lineup.

Seem to recall him outplaying Howard during Howards last season in the AHL. I think if things went a bit better this season he would have seen a few starts but due to a bit of bad luck (injuries, ozzie sucking balls) we were fighting for a playoff spot to the end and had no time to get a better look at a rookie goalie. Normally I would blame the wings brass for not giving him a chance, but the way this season went there wasn't much they could do. I honestly think he would have made a good goalie and would have felt fine about him backing up Howard next season if ozzies contract had expired.

And McCollum was brutal this year, hopefully his 2nd season is wayyy better or it's going to be another year in last place for the griffins.

Dan Larsson had only played 2 seasons in Grand Rapids.

http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2479

2 years without playing an NHL game is not a big thing.

He would have been 1st in line with injuries next year, but wouldn't have been up full time untile he was 26...sound familiar to another Red Wings goalie (Howard)

No big thing. Can't blame him for leaving, but wish he had stayed.

Edited by russianswede919293

Note that this doesn`t mean the Wings lost his rights. He`s just not playing in the AHL. Larsson is still a Red Wings prospect. That being said, abandoning the Griffins to take an offer in the SEL won`t endear him to the Wings brass. In the end results are all that matters-- as long as Larsson gets better in Sweden the Wings won`t likely begrudge him.

Things seem pretty clear for Larsson, though-- Howard is our number 1 goalie and McCollum is the goalie of the future. Unfortunately Larsson was just too close in age to Howard to fit in perfectly. It sucks that he didn`t want to stick around in the AHL but he did put 2 years in there so maybe the money in Sweden was just too tempting when combined with the comfort of being at home again.

He is a restricted free agent, so they would have to tender him an offer to keep his rights. They may try that, or they might just let him go, like Liv.