• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zata20

Daniel Larsson going to Sweden

Rate this topic

He is a restricted free agent, so they would have to tender him an offer to keep his rights. They may try that, or they might just let him go, like Liv.

I'm operating under the assumption that Holland will tender him an offer. Unlike Liv he had a measure of success on NA ice (all-star in rookie year).

Damn I was really hoping that he could be our guy to go to after Ozzie as a back up for Jimmy. Wonder what's going to happen now. Perhaps a trade or something to try and get a young goalie that can still be down in the AHL for another year or so. Can't wait to see how the Wings react to this one.

crazy he is going to be replacing stefan liv of HV71, another former red wings prospect.

I was going to post on LGW last month how I happened to be in Sweden and made it to the Stockholm Djurgardens - HV71 matchup in Game 1 of the SEL Championship round. (Last time Djurgardens won, Kronwall was on the team). By the time I got around to it though, it didn't seem relevant anymore.

I just wanted to point out, HV71 is a ridiculously good team, they've made it to the finals the past 3 years, and they won in 2008 and this year. Personally, if he wasn't going to be on an NHL roster next year, this seems like a very big honor for Larsonn to be offered the starting goaltender position, taking over for Liv, who I was very surprised to find out is one of the best goaltenders to have ever played in the SEL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Liv).

And then, though this is a bit unrelated, along with Liv, I saw Adam Almqvist play, and I was impressed. Though he's only 19, and was just called up from the junior club at the end of the season, he seemed to be on the ice for all the important moments for HV71 (though he did get caught backchecking to give up a bad chance that led to a goal). I hope to see him in GR within a year or two..

P1180582.jpg

P1180571.jpg

It's as if he feels like he doesn't have anything left to learn from being in the AHL.

What is there to "learn" from developing in Europe instead of in NA? The aspects of the game where you rely on your intelligence or...?

Guest CaliWingsNut

It's as if he feels like he doesn't have anything left to learn from being in the AHL.

What is there to "learn" from developing in Europe instead of in NA? The aspects of the game where you rely on your intelligence or...?

I think it's more pocketbook & a wider rink w/ more angles to consider.

trade him while he is still young and value is somewhat high!. With Howard still yound and are new number 1 and McCollum soon to be his back up or even splitting the 82,why not just move him before we lose him for nothing

"The Red Wings retain Larsson's NHL rights for three more seasons, until he turns 27, and general manager Ken Holland said he would welcome him back if he looks NHL-ready."

I don't like this. This guy played better than Howie in the AHL at times. Now, Babs/Holland might be making a mistake here...that long stretch from Feb to the end of the season where Ozzie didn't play one game? Fine, Ozzie was in a huge slump. Why wasn't Dan Larsson called up for even ONE GAME instead?

Guest Crymson

I don't like this. This guy played better than Howie in the AHL at times. Now, Babs/Holland might be making a mistake here...that long stretch from Feb to the end of the season where Ozzie didn't play one game? Fine, Ozzie was in a huge slump. Why wasn't Dan Larsson called up for even ONE GAME instead?

You can't have three goalies on the roster at the same time.

You can't have three goalies on the roster at the same time.

You can, but it somewhat "wastes" a spot. The Wings have done it before. Ever hear of "Ticker" Hodson?

During the 1996–97 Season in which the Red Wings would eventually win the Stanley Cup, Hodson remained as the Red Wings' Number 3 Goalie and as such, only saw 6 games that seasons, posting a 2–2–1 record. Since Hodson spent majority of the season with the Red Wings, Detroit included his name on the cup, even though did not officially qualify.[/Quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Hodson#Detroit

They would not have called up Larsson. They wanted to get Osgood into some kind of playoff shape, but Howard was winning, and that is what they needed at that time, to get into the playoffs.

Edited by CenterIce