• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Holland Wants Bert Back

Rate this topic

I have no problem signing him to a two year deal, the only people still hating on Bertuzzi are those with a personal problem with him. At this point it's difficult to legitimately fault his performance based on his pay grade.

He's costing nothing, ok.

But he is constantly in the PK box (usually it is imaginary calls, not his fault, but refs are calling minutes anyway and that costs the team).

+ his ice time could be better used by a young kid with potential.

Bert has NO upside potential and did not show any chemistry with anybody.

Guys who can get 40-45 points have a market value, but he's now 35 so I'm not sure about too long of term.

Two years, $2.2 million total.

PS: I'm also not sure that someone else (AHEM, Brian Burke) won't give out somethign like $4.5/ 3 years. In that case, let him walk.

Edited by mjlegend

I hope someone offers him a bunch of money, because I really don't want him back.

He played pretty much the whole year with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and still was barely any more productive than Eaves. We have enough marginally top 6 players. All Bert will do is take opportunities away from Flip, Hudler, and Cleary.

Sure, it'd be great to have Flip and Happy back on the third line, but not if the top 6 has to suck for it to happen.

Guest Lidstromboli

well if bertuzzi had barely more than eaves

then zetterberg had barely more than bertuzzi

get rid of hank. i'm tired of that lazy bum

well if bertuzzi had barely more than eaves

then zetterberg had barely more than bertuzzi

get rid of hank. i'm tired of that lazy bum

If all we could fairly expect from Hank was 23 goals, then we would rightly want him gone.

But we know he just had a bad year. We know we can expect much better from him. He is not 35. He is a star that can make things happen all over the ice. We have no players younger and better than Hank.

You can't say any of the above about Bert. Hank had a terrible year by his standards. That does not make Bert's performance better.

He was ok last year. Pretty good value while we had an opening. Now we don't have an opening. If he comes back (and assuming Homer also returns) we'll have to give up someone like Eaves, Miller, Ritola, or some FA addition who would likely help us just as much now, and possibly have a future.

Bert played 17 more games, ~500 more minutes, ~200 more PP minutes, with much better linemates than Eaves. But he scored just 6 more goals. Eaves was a better value. Eaves is 26. Eaves will likely be cheaper. Eaves might actually get better.

Don't forget Bert's mediocre season just because he finished with a couple good games. He's not a star. He's nothing even remotely special. We don't need him. If we had the roster space, fine. But we don't unless we give up someone young. I'd rather not do that. Not for Bert at least.

He's costing nothing, ok.

But he is constantly in the PK box (usually it is imaginary calls, not his fault, but refs are calling minutes anyway and that costs the team).

+ his ice time could be better used by a young kid with potential.

Bert has NO upside potential and did not show any chemistry with anybody.

Was this supposed to be sarcasm? don't think you've mastered it yet if so. No chemistry with Franzen and Zetterberg? Is that how he managed 11 points in 12 playoff games?

I hope someone offers him a bunch of money, because I really don't want him back.

He played pretty much the whole year with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and still was barely any more productive than Eaves. We have enough marginally top 6 players. All Bert will do is take opportunities away from Flip, Hudler, and Cleary.

Sure, it'd be great to have Flip and Happy back on the third line, but not if the top 6 has to suck for it to happen.

Eaves 22 points are almost Bertuzzi's 44? Don't quite see how that math works. God forbid we take opportunities away from Hudler after all he did for the team this season :rolleyes:

While his bad stretches were incredibly frustrating, we all saw what he could do with a hot streak here and there, and overall in the playoffs he was busting his tail off and involved even though he only had 2 goals in 12 games. Will gladly be happy if Bertuzzi is back.

Was this supposed to be sarcasm? don't think you've mastered it yet if so. No chemistry with Franzen and Zetterberg? Is that how he managed 11 points in 12 playoff games?

Eaves 22 points are almost Bertuzzi's 44? Don't quite see how that math works. God forbid we take opportunities away from Hudler after all he did for the team this season :rolleyes:

5 points in 1 game, mostly because of Franzen's explosion. 6 points in the other 11. Most of those courtesy of Zetterberg's and Filppula's strong play. For the most part, Bert did little to really earn those points. Also, 1 game != chemistry.

And excuse me, I should have been more clear. I meant goals.

Bert isn't right for the 3rd line. He isn't good enough to justify losing a young player like Miller or Eaves. He isn't good enough to justify bumping Flip or Cleary or Hudler to the third line (one of them already will be). A decent scoring third line isn't worth a poor scoring second. Unless Homer decides to retire, I just don't think we have room for Bert.

I would love to give Bert a 2 year deal valued at 2.4 million dollars. Personally I think 1.2 million is a bargain for a player like him. (not a huge bargain, but a bargain)

[edit] BTW, someone is going to get injured at some point next year, Bert can easily fill that top six spot.

Edited by RedWingedKitten

I guess. I kind of like him. He pissed me off the first time around, had his moments in this now past season. I am like whatever at this point.

The best thing about having him on the Wings, is when the Wings are in town, and I am at the Honda Center around a bunch puke Duck fans. I like to yell, "come on Bert, end somebody's career tonight", I usually get a couple of stares, but I don't give a s***. I am usually half in the bag by then. Duck fans are always just so serious all the time.

I'm with everyone else, it's really a matter of price / drive. When he was on his game he was a valuable asset to the team - especially when he carried us through a portion of those injuries. When he wasn't though, it was brutal.

With the skill Bert has and now some chemistry built by playing with Mule,Z and D there is no reason his numbers shouldnt get even better next season, as we all seen when Bert wants to play and drive the net there is no stopping him which besides the Mule we dont have a player like that. I say next season Bert should be able to put up 20-30G 25-35A only 4 years ago he had 71PTS that was also his last full played season until this one that just passed. Babcock should just tell Bert all he wants from him is to be parked infront of the net and when he has the puck take it hard to the net go back to the old Bert style.

My concerns with Bert is a combo of age, and his lower back...Dunno if he's capable of playing that style that we had seen while he was a Canuck :unsure:

I agree that he is getting older and ya about his back, but we seen a few times this season where Bert just flips a switch and is unstoppable, like in that Sharks series. Playing this whole season and getting workouts in all season long is huge for his back to to go a full season without any major problems.

Guest Crymson

So, who are we losing, since we have such a logjam?

Z-D-Franz

Homer - Flip - Bert

Huds - Ritola - Clears

Drapes - Helm - Abs

So, No Malts, Eaves, Miller, May, or J-Willy? (it's a given J-Willy is gone)

May is retiring. Maltby will be a question mark.

(spread out scoring)

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Abdelkader-Filppula

Eaves-Helm-Ritola/Draper

(stacked scoring)

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Hudler-Filppula-Holmstrom

Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Helm-Ritola/Drpaer

(lol my NHL10 lines this 3rd line dominates every teams 3rd i play)

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Cleary

Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader

Eaves-Helm-Ritola/Draper

Guest Hatethedrake!

Going by Kenny's comments it looks to me like Miller may be the odd man out here.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Hudler

Eaves-Abdelkader-Gritty 4th line UFA

Draper

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

Kindl

Howard-Osgood

Not quite sure how to feel about this...The good thing was that he was on a 2nd line that appeared to click - however that switch wasn't always in the "on" position.

well put.....im on the fence about this one. It appeared that on most games there was no "jump" in his step. If he appeared to try harder I probably wouldn't be so undecided. But like you said, that 2nd line clicked and was good when it was good. Bert seeks some "continuity" in a contract which is fine provided there is some "continuity" in his play.