• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Holland Wants Bert Back

Rate this topic

Think of it this way. That was the consistency he played with in a contract year? What will his play look like when he's locked up for 2-3 years? Float city. We get to watch him fumble passes and get called for phantom penalty's? No thanks!

Edited by Pucks

I'm somewhat on the fence with this one. For the value, Bertuzzi was great this season and he really clicked with Hank and Fil on a line. However, the return of Hudler makes Bertuzzi more expendable to me. If Hudler is getting top six minutes like Babcock claims next season, I have to assume the most likely option to get bumped from the top six is Bertuzzi. I'm not sure how effective Bert would be on a line without Zetterberg, Filppula or Datsyuk. He makes a ton of errors (awful turnovers/bad penalties) as it is and those guys can cover them up to an extent.

I guess I won't care either way however the Bertuzzi decision falls. If he comes back, that's fine. If he doesn't, then we can use that money towards a gritty forward for the bottom two lines.

I think Bert will be good (perhaps rarely great) on any line as long as he realizes that no matter what line he's on, he has to screen the goaltender, bang in rebounds and retrieve loose pucks. Again, a GOOD fit, but rarely great.

Guest Lidstromboli

I think Bert will be good (perhaps rarely great) on any line as long as he realizes that no matter what line he's on, he has to screen the goaltender, bang in rebounds and retrieve loose pucks. Again, a GOOD fit, but rarely great.

he's a lot more useful around the net than anywhere else

If he'd actually do that, and at a price similar to this year's, I'd be ok with him. Though I'd still prefer someone younger.

What I'd expect, however, is that he'll be slow, not very physical, take dumb penalties, show a few flashes of skill, a few flashes of suck, and tons of mediocrity.

If he does come back, I hope at the very least it's cheap enough that we can afford to carry 14 forwards.

I like Bert, I'll take him back. Multi-year is a little risky, hopefully we can get a non-verbal agreement that we'll keep him around so long as he wants to play. (until a point of course) I just don't want a 39/40 yr old retiring on us mid-contract or worst-case scenario, playing but sucking.

With a guy like Torres - you get more fiestiness, and a few years younger, but probably a lower point production total, and he'll most likely cost us more towards the cap...Then again his rambunctious behavior would be warmly welcomed come next spring.

He kinda reminds me of Lapointe.

That's the knock on Torres is his price range.Brian Sutherby would be a good option too.Won't put up as much points tho.

I think this year he's shown that as long as he stays healthy, he's still a solid power forward with a little bit of a scoring touch. I wouldn't be opposed to having him back, as long as he doesn't ask for a massive increase in salary. Obviously age and health are going to be big concerns with him this year, so I think you would need to bring back an Eaves/Miller for depth.

This is what I expect the roster to look like next year if Bert and Homer both come back.

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Franzen

Hudler

Filppula

Holmstrom

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Abdelkader

Helm

Eaves

Miller

Draper

Lidstrom

Kronwall

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lilja?

Ericsson

Kindl

Meech?

Bertuzzi will play on one of the first two lines. The wingers on the top-two lines will probably be Bert, Franzen, Homer, and Hudler. Hudler is probably opposite Homer so that there are two offensive players capable of singly opening up offensive space and making plays while Homer does his thing, with the Franzen/???/Bertuzzi line having more of a "big, strongwingers who can shoot and crash the net" feel to it. Or center Hudler between those two and put Z or Dats between Flip and Cleary.

One or both of Lilja and Meech return. Lebda does not, and it's unlikely any other defenseman fills that 7th spot. The pairings will probably be shuffled around to avoid the Ericsson/Lebda circus from this past season, so we'll see stuff like Kindl/Stuart and Lidstrom/Ericsson, and depending on the roster we might see stuff like Ericsson/Lilja or Meech/Rafalski.

Meech and Rafalski would be a pretty good offensive pair, thinking about it. Maybe try it out on the PP and put Kronner on the first unit.

Edited by eva unit zero

I'm for it as I imagine the price will be right and most haters seem to have no perspective that takes into account his fairly cheap salary. I think he's a good fit on this team, and I think it's really impressive that the guy came in and played a full 82 games. I mean, when we heard he got signed last summer, how many of us who liked the deal would've been happy if he played 60 games!? This year ought to give him more confidence as he showed that he's still got the touch. Some continuity could help that. He'll never be the player he was, but to think he couldn't contribute is absurd, especially given what is likely to be his price.

And I'll say it again, I for one hope we win a Cup for him, and give him his ultimate redemption before his career is up.

I'm for it as I imagine the price will be right and most haters seem to have no perspective that takes into account his fairly cheap salary. I think he's a good fit on this team, and I think it's really impressive that the guy came in and played a full 82 games. I mean, when we heard he got signed last summer, how many of us who liked the deal would've been happy if he played 60 games!? This year ought to give him more confidence as he showed that he's still got the touch. Some continuity could help that. He'll never be the player he was, but to think he couldn't contribute is absurd, especially given what is likely to be his price.

And I'll say it again, I for one hope we win a Cup for him, and give him his ultimate redemption before his career is up.

He's still got the touch and has the potential to score 25-30 a year. He needs to figure out, however, how to keep it going so that he doesn't go 20 games without a goal like he did this season.