• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

I approve. I was iffy when he first came here, but I'm liking him so far. Especially for what they're paying him.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Wasn't liking him...changes lines, then liked him. That Hank, Mule, Bert line can do some more damage next year. So in short Posted Image

Keep driving the net Bert and...

2 hands!!!!!!Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

So, who are we losing, since we have such a logjam?

Z-D-Franz
Homer - Flip - Bert
Huds - Ritola - Clears
Drapes - Helm - Abs

So, No Malts, Eaves, Miller, May, or J-Willy? (it's a given J-Willy is gone)
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#24 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

How come bertuzzi got the same amount of points in detroit this season as he got in calgary the previous season... with 20-some less games played... and calgary wasn't exactly an offensive powerhouse... hmm

Edited by mindfly, 19 May 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#25 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

Malts, Drapes, Miller, and easily Williams. He must must go! Doing favors for guys like Malts and Drapes just don't cut it anymore.

#26 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

I would pass to be honest, I really don't see much need for him here anymore, and am tired of his terrible penalties in which he always puts his hands up just saying "Im guilty", and his constant one hand on the stick plays, 2 HANDS ON THE STICK, f***!

Edited by Superman54, 19 May 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Exactly. Sure this organization prides itself on loyalty but at the same time it is a business and the team needs to stay competitive. If a guy loses his edge (like it seems Lilja probably has) then he should be replaced, not clogging up a roster spot for fresh blood to be brought in.

I don't want to see just anyone brought in to replace him, I wanna see someone who will provide what Lilja used to and can't anymore. A guy like Brookbank would be the best fit probably. He'll clear the crease, lay big hits, is a heavyweight fighter and can kill penalties. He plays 15 minutes a game on a ducks team and is a lot younger the Lils.

Seems like the perfect replacement to me. I guess I should add that he's plus 10 as well so he's pretty responsible considering his team didn't make playoffs.

Not trying to derail the topic on hand.....But I too feel 1 of our biggest needs on D is a physical presence that we lack (have lacked for some time), and from what I know there isn't anyone in GR that'll fill this role.

What we have in GR (or will soon have in GR) are slender built puck possession Lidstrom wanna-bees who are nowhere near the calibre of player Nick is, and since they don't do any 1 thing that really stands out - they'll be AHL'ers for the bulk of their careers.....Maybe I'm asking too much, but I just wanna see this team get mean again.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#28 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Not trying to derail the topic on hand.....But I too feel 1 of our biggest needs on D is a physical presence that we lack (have lacked for some time), and from what I know there isn't anyone in GR that'll fill this role.

What we have in GR (or will soon have in GR) are slender built puck possession Lidstrom wanna-bees who are nowhere near the calibre of player Nick is, and since they don't do any 1 thing that really stands out - they'll be AHL'ers for the bulk of their careers.....Maybe I'm asking too much, but I just wanna see this team get mean again.

Yeah actually speaking of Grand Rapids, Brookbank used to play there for a couple seasons so maybe wings brass have an eye on him. Kolosov is the only thing close to a physical, mean defenseman in GR. Piche is small but he's feisty from what I've read.

Yeah I really think the money we spend on Bert would be better spent towards a physical defenseman but if Bert takes a paycut to get to play here for an extra season or 2 maybe we'll have the money to sign a guy like Brookbank and Bert.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#29 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

Sweet!!! now lets get him signed please.
(then put him with Mule and Flip...if I keep saying it maybe it will happen lol
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#30 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

I have no problem signing him to a two year deal, the only people still hating on Bertuzzi are those with a personal problem with him. At this point it's difficult to legitimately fault his performance based on his pay grade.

#31 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

PS- There was another good read there entiled "Jimmy Howard has Championship skills" if this has been talked about sorry.
http://www.freep.com...6/1053/sports05

(f*** it Ill post a thread too lol)

Edited by 13dangledangle, 19 May 2010 - 04:29 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

PS- There was another good read there entiled "Jimmy Howard has Championship skills" if this has been talked about sorry.
http://www.freep.com...6/1053/sports05

Posted Image Good read there and I may be one of the biggest Howie slappies there is in the LGW world but totally and completely agreed.

#33 RedWings

RedWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

He's costing nothing, ok.

But he is constantly in the PK box (usually it is imaginary calls, not his fault, but refs are calling minutes anyway and that costs the team).

+ his ice time could be better used by a young kid with potential.
Bert has NO upside potential and did not show any chemistry with anybody.

#34 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

bertuzzi for two years at 1.5 thank you very much

#35 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Guys who can get 40-45 points have a market value, but he's now 35 so I'm not sure about too long of term.

Two years, $2.2 million total.

PS: I'm also not sure that someone else (AHEM, Brian Burke) won't give out somethign like $4.5/ 3 years. In that case, let him walk.

Edited by mjlegend, 19 May 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#36 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

I don't mind having him back at the right price, and for all we know he might click well with Hudler.

#37 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

I hope someone offers him a bunch of money, because I really don't want him back.

He played pretty much the whole year with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and still was barely any more productive than Eaves. We have enough marginally top 6 players. All Bert will do is take opportunities away from Flip, Hudler, and Cleary.

Sure, it'd be great to have Flip and Happy back on the third line, but not if the top 6 has to suck for it to happen.

#38 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

well if bertuzzi had barely more than eaves
then zetterberg had barely more than bertuzzi

get rid of hank. i'm tired of that lazy bum

Posted Image

#39 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

well if bertuzzi had barely more than eaves
then zetterberg had barely more than bertuzzi

get rid of hank. i'm tired of that lazy bum

If all we could fairly expect from Hank was 23 goals, then we would rightly want him gone.

But we know he just had a bad year. We know we can expect much better from him. He is not 35. He is a star that can make things happen all over the ice. We have no players younger and better than Hank.

You can't say any of the above about Bert. Hank had a terrible year by his standards. That does not make Bert's performance better.

He was ok last year. Pretty good value while we had an opening. Now we don't have an opening. If he comes back (and assuming Homer also returns) we'll have to give up someone like Eaves, Miller, Ritola, or some FA addition who would likely help us just as much now, and possibly have a future.

Bert played 17 more games, ~500 more minutes, ~200 more PP minutes, with much better linemates than Eaves. But he scored just 6 more goals. Eaves was a better value. Eaves is 26. Eaves will likely be cheaper. Eaves might actually get better.

Don't forget Bert's mediocre season just because he finished with a couple good games. He's not a star. He's nothing even remotely special. We don't need him. If we had the roster space, fine. But we don't unless we give up someone young. I'd rather not do that. Not for Bert at least.

#40 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

He's costing nothing, ok.

But he is constantly in the PK box (usually it is imaginary calls, not his fault, but refs are calling minutes anyway and that costs the team).

+ his ice time could be better used by a young kid with potential.
Bert has NO upside potential and did not show any chemistry with anybody.

Was this supposed to be sarcasm? don't think you've mastered it yet if so. No chemistry with Franzen and Zetterberg? Is that how he managed 11 points in 12 playoff games?

I hope someone offers him a bunch of money, because I really don't want him back.

He played pretty much the whole year with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and still was barely any more productive than Eaves. We have enough marginally top 6 players. All Bert will do is take opportunities away from Flip, Hudler, and Cleary.

Sure, it'd be great to have Flip and Happy back on the third line, but not if the top 6 has to suck for it to happen.

Eaves 22 points are almost Bertuzzi's 44? Don't quite see how that math works. God forbid we take opportunities away from Hudler after all he did for the team this season :rolleyes: