Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone think the Eastern conference can win the Cup?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

After watching the Montreal/Philly playoffs I don't see how either team could beat the Western champ. I just don't see the finesse, the consistency or the talent. Or am I missing something? I hope I'm wrong because I've decided to root for Montreal. :)

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#2 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

I hope they can. I'd really hate to see Chicago or San Jose win the cup.

#3 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

I think they can, but I'm also rooting for Montreal so it's also part of me hoping they do.

#4 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

It's impossible to say, really. A team or a goalie could get hot, injuries, desire, etc.

On paper, though? I can't even see how it'd possible.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#5 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Simple answer...

no.

The ONLY way Montreal (Philly is going to get killed if they make it) makes it watchable is if Halak plays like he did against the Caps and Pens.

The Wings would have killed either of these teams.

I'm preparing myself to see Kane (as much as I'll get flamed...I'm rooting for Hossa, he was a class act here) lift the Cup. :ph34r:

Edited by Trapt1307, 20 May 2010 - 10:53 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#6 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

Philly could beat Chicago theoretically, just because they're an opponent Chicago hasn't played (super physical).

However, it's really irritating to see the lack of talent left in the playoffs. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the Wings really got screwed by the refs in that series and they probably could have beaten any of the teams left (including San Jose, had they been allowed to play).

God, lame finish to the playoffs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#7 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Philly could beat Chicago theoretically, just because they're an opponent Chicago hasn't played (super physical).

However, it's really irritating to see the lack of talent left in the playoffs. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the Wings really got screwed by the refs in that series and they probably could have beaten any of the teams left (including San Jose, had they been allowed to play).

God, lame finish to the playoffs.

The Sharks and Hawks are the top ranked teams in the West, how do you figure there's a lack of talent left in the playoffs?

#8 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

I want the West to win it. I'd be happy to see either team win. Chicago because I love Hossa and the Sharks because they deserve it.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

I think they have a better chance than most people want to give them. I'd rather come into the Finals after playing the Flyers/Habs than the Sharks/Hawks. Also, this is the same Flyers team that did what only two other teams in history could do, and have been playing lights out with Gagne back. This is also the same Montreal team that has eliminated both the defending Stanley Cup Champion and the Presidents Trophy winners.

#10 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

If someone had said that Montreal would make it this far two months ago, they would have been flamed pretty hard. Philly/Montreal are definitely the underdogs, but they're professional hockey teams that can compete with anyone.

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'd be suprised to see the Flyers/Habs take it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

I think it's 50/50
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

I don't see any chance that the East could pull it off, unless something miraculous happens in both series, where the West goes 7 and gets VERY worn down and the East is over in 5...

Regardless, I'm pulling like hell for Montreal to be a Cinderella story at this point, but I have a bad feeling we're going to see Philly and Chicago and I hate them both...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#14 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

im definitely pulling for an eastern team, preferably the habs, to win. i am going to be so annoyed if the sharks or blackhawks win
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#15 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

I think they have a better chance than most people want to give them. I'd rather come into the Finals after playing the Flyers/Habs than the Sharks/Hawks. Also, this is the same Flyers team that did what only two other teams in history could do, and have been playing lights out with Gagne back. This is also the same Montreal team that has eliminated both the defending Stanley Cup Champion and the Presidents Trophy winners.

Good points. A lot will depend on goalies and injuries too.

I understand this statement may be considered a treasonable offense, but I also wonder if the Wings could beat the Hawks right now. OF COURSE I want to think they could. :ph34r:

Gawd. If only... :(

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#16 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

I understand this statement may be considered a treasonable offense, but I also wonder if the Wings could beat the Hawks right now. OF COURSE I want to think they could. :ph34r:

Detroit would be able to beat Chicago. They have Joel Quenville's number, who has never been able to figure out how to beat Detroit in the playoffs. Detroit would steamroll Montreal in the Finals if it got that far.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#17 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

the west is just sooooo dominant
east never has a chance!!!

Posted Image

#18 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Montreal already beat Caps and Pens. If Philly beats Montreal it means they're better than Montreal. Why couldn't they beat Hawks or Sharks then?

Anything can happen.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#19 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I'm with you. This Hawks team is absolutely rolling at this point, I don't know that the Wings would've been able to take them down. I enjoy watching the Hawks play, so it's nice to not have to see them play at the expense of the good guys.

#20 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

If Leighton and Halak can maintain their composure, there's a chance. Montreal has been the miracle team this playoff season and Philly has taken out 2 good teams. Maybe Chi/SJ might over look them and give them a chance?

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed