• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Vladifan

Does anyone think the Eastern conference can win the Cup?

Rate this topic

After watching the Montreal/Philly playoffs I don't see how either team could beat the Western champ. I just don't see the finesse, the consistency or the talent. Or am I missing something? I hope I'm wrong because I've decided to root for Montreal. :)

Simple answer...

no.

The ONLY way Montreal (Philly is going to get killed if they make it) makes it watchable is if Halak plays like he did against the Caps and Pens.

The Wings would have killed either of these teams.

I'm preparing myself to see Kane (as much as I'll get flamed...I'm rooting for Hossa, he was a class act here) lift the Cup. :ph34r:

Edited by Trapt1307

Philly could beat Chicago theoretically, just because they're an opponent Chicago hasn't played (super physical).

However, it's really irritating to see the lack of talent left in the playoffs. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the Wings really got screwed by the refs in that series and they probably could have beaten any of the teams left (including San Jose, had they been allowed to play).

God, lame finish to the playoffs.

Philly could beat Chicago theoretically, just because they're an opponent Chicago hasn't played (super physical).

However, it's really irritating to see the lack of talent left in the playoffs. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but the Wings really got screwed by the refs in that series and they probably could have beaten any of the teams left (including San Jose, had they been allowed to play).

God, lame finish to the playoffs.

The Sharks and Hawks are the top ranked teams in the West, how do you figure there's a lack of talent left in the playoffs?

I think they have a better chance than most people want to give them. I'd rather come into the Finals after playing the Flyers/Habs than the Sharks/Hawks. Also, this is the same Flyers team that did what only two other teams in history could do, and have been playing lights out with Gagne back. This is also the same Montreal team that has eliminated both the defending Stanley Cup Champion and the Presidents Trophy winners.

I don't see any chance that the East could pull it off, unless something miraculous happens in both series, where the West goes 7 and gets VERY worn down and the East is over in 5...

Regardless, I'm pulling like hell for Montreal to be a Cinderella story at this point, but I have a bad feeling we're going to see Philly and Chicago and I hate them both...

I think they have a better chance than most people want to give them. I'd rather come into the Finals after playing the Flyers/Habs than the Sharks/Hawks. Also, this is the same Flyers team that did what only two other teams in history could do, and have been playing lights out with Gagne back. This is also the same Montreal team that has eliminated both the defending Stanley Cup Champion and the Presidents Trophy winners.

Good points. A lot will depend on goalies and injuries too.

I understand this statement may be considered a treasonable offense, but I also wonder if the Wings could beat the Hawks right now. OF COURSE I want to think they could. :ph34r:

Gawd. If only... :(

I understand this statement may be considered a treasonable offense, but I also wonder if the Wings could beat the Hawks right now. OF COURSE I want to think they could. :ph34r:

Detroit would be able to beat Chicago. They have Joel Quenville's number, who has never been able to figure out how to beat Detroit in the playoffs. Detroit would steamroll Montreal in the Finals if it got that far.

I'm with you. This Hawks team is absolutely rolling at this point, I don't know that the Wings would've been able to take them down. I enjoy watching the Hawks play, so it's nice to not have to see them play at the expense of the good guys.

It's tough for me to envision either of the East teams beating either of the West teams, but of course its possible. I just think both SJ and Chi can adapt better to any type of game Phi or Mtl will throw at them. IMO their only hope is playing up the left wing lock or trap and making zone entries very difficult. Both SJ and Chi have excellent north/south games as well as offensive zone setups (with SJ's defense producing offensively, and Buttmuffin doing his best Homer impression. If they are going to have a chance they will have to defend the blue line with their lives.

The Hawks are clearly the most talented bunch still in it. They win tonight, and that s***'s pretty much over. The way Niemi is playing is tough to top, so I agree with the idea that the only way anyone's gonna get past them (should they beat the Sharks) is through goaltending. Halak or Leighton have to get hot or it's gonna be a short one. Guys like Briere, Callammeri, etc. can't carry the goal load that consistently throughout the entire playoffs, it's just not plausible. Or the Sharks can do us all a favor and win a f'in game.

And I'm still rooting for the Habs. They're already my go to team at this point. There's too many asswipes I really don't want to see raise the Cup, though there are some guys I want to see raise it.

Like:

Hawks (Kane and Hossa blow, Toews I wouldn't mind)

Sharks (Rob Blake still dislike from his Avs days, Setoguchi, Pavelski I wouldn't mind)

Flyers (Pronger, end of story. Briere, Ville, would be proud)

But to answer the question, I think the East can do it with hot goaltending. Halak in particular.

I'm rooting for Montreal (since the elimination of the Wings, 2nd fave team) but realistically I don't think there's an East team that will win. Can is a different story... this year's playoffs is exactly what it's been advertised as - History has been made, and likely still will be made. Anything can happen with the heart, drive and hot goaltender.

Remember, a lot of people were saying the same thing about the Redwings a few years ago, that they were simply racking up wins in a weak division. We, of course, all knew that to be crap, but that is what other fans were saying.

As others have pointed out, look what happened in the east. I would not want to face the Flyers in the Finals after seeing what they did to Boston.

With that said, of course it's possible, and not all that unlikely imho.