• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

Homer Contract Disussion

Rate this topic

Anyone come across this yet? Haven't see a discussion about it.

Holmstrom is 37 and he wants a multi-year deal. That's probably not a deal-breaker. Holmstrom, after an injury-plagued 2008-09 season, bounced back with 25 goals in the regular season and another four in the playoffs.

Advertisement

As diligent as Holmstrom trains year-round, and as obviously vital as he is to the Wings offense, a two- or three-year deal isn't completely irrational.

The sticky issue will be how much cap space the Wings want Holmstrom eating up in that second and third year.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100522/OPINION03/5220399/Re-signing-Tomas-Holmstrom-likely--but-no-slam-dunk-for-Red-Wings#ixzz0omCtbSzR

edit: Possible to fix the title? Apparently I didn't press on the C. Oops :huh:

Edited by Jasper84

Guest Crymson

Anyone come across this yet? Haven't see a discussion about it.

edit: Possible to fix the title? Apparently I didn't press on the C. Oops :huh:

I'm all for it, provided that he has a low cap hit.

What is the rule in the CBA about signing a contract after a certain age? Since Homer is 37 wouldn't all years count towards the Wings' future cap even if he decided to retire mid-way through his contract?

Edited by weGotTheCup89

Isn't there something in the CBA about signing a contract after a certain age? Since Homer is 37 wouldn't all years count towards the Wings' future cap even if he decided to retire mid-way through his contract?

That applies to any player over age 35 who signs a contract

That applies to any player over age 35 who signs a contract

Yeah sorry, just couldn't remember.. I wouldn't expect Homer would want to take a discount in order to sign a longer term deal, he seems like a guy who will play as long as he can

If Homer wants a multi-year deal, he better be prepared to take less than $1m per year.

exactly, hit her right on the nose my friend. I feel this is something he'd be down for too, though im sure other teams will be calling him with better offers. To be honest I wouldnt even mind if he took it :blush:

I'd rather overpay for a 1yr deal as opposed to a 3yr deal. Just remember the Draper deal how bad it looked, this would be worse.

I agree, as long as the money isn't too ridiculous. Maybe tell him that the Wings plan to keep him around as long as he is healthy and producing. With how he plays, there is a significant risk for plaguing injuries.

Reading the whole article this stood out to me...

Holmstrom's agent, in an interview with The Hockey News, made it clear his client wasn't offering bargains.

Prefacing his comments by saying a deal with the Wings is probable but not a lock, Howard Gourwitz said, "On the last contract, Tomas took a hometown discount so the organization would have enough cap room to keep everybody here (in Detroit). But at the end of the day, Tomas is going to have to feel he's being treated fairly in the realm of what is taking place in the locker room."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100522/OPINION03/5220399/Re-signing-Tomas-Holmstrom-likely--but-no-slam-dunk-for-Red-Wings#ixzz0omeQ3WYi

To me that says he (or at least his agent) wants more than his current salary, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I hope his agent is just being a dick, because we cant give out 2mil+ for multiple years to a 37 year old who can barely skate. I love Homer to death, but loyalty cant screw us again like it did with Draper. I just cant see Homer getting greedy given where the Wings are money wise and franchise wise, just cant see it.

Homer is vital to this team, but the physical style of his play and his age, combined with his inability to skate and his track record of only being able to play on the top line pretty much guarantees nothing longer than 2 years.

A 3 year would be way too long. A two year could even be pushing it. If he retires at any point we're stuck with the bill and he should realize that. I'd rather give him a big one year deal. He has job security, he knows we'll never get rid of him, so really the only thing left for him is to agree to the money. A year by year would be best, but I wouldn't be mad if he signed a 2 year. But nothing longer, please Holland!

I hope his agent is just being a dick, because we cant give out 2mil+ for multiple years to a 37 year old who can barely skate. I love Homer to death, but loyalty cant screw us again like it did with Draper. I just cant see Homer getting greedy given where the Wings are money wise and franchise wise, just cant see it.

Don't get me wrong,I love Homer,but if he's gonna get greedy when he's 37 and demands a raise in salary ALONG WITH a multi-year deal,see ya.goodbye.

Don't get me wrong,I love Homer,but if he's gonna get greedy when he's 37 and demands a raise in salary ALONG WITH a multi-year deal,see ya.goodbye.

I guess he finally realized how invaluable he is to this team.. he really has been underpaid for what a key part he is to the team.

It's true that now isn't the time to get greedy, but I hope I never have to see Homer on another NHL team...

I guess he finally realized how invaluable he is to this team.. he really has been underpaid for what a key part he is to the team.

It's true that now isn't the time to get greedy, but I hope I never have to see Homer on another NHL team...

Yeah it would be horrible seeing him skating in another sweater,but he knows we're in the middle of another cap crunch.If he leaves Detroit like this,if he gets greedy and goes where the money is,much like Fedorov did before the lockout,there will definitely be mixed emotions about him.Everytime Fedorov shows up in Detroit,he gets his ass booed off because of the way he left the team.Bottom line is Homer can't be greedy,especially now.

All of you folks who think Holmstrom is going to take the hometown discount AGAIN are high! He took the hometown discount last time, to help the team with the Cap hit. I would expect a 2-3 year deal with a fairly decent monetary amount. The biggest factor in knocking this dollar amount down, is Homer has missed 25 games due to injury every year the past three years.

This signing though is going to be huge, in whether Lidstrom would re-up! I think Homer leaving could break a deal with Lidstrom returning. And for those who think Lidstrom is going to sign for much under 7.5 million are in for a huge shock too. How can anyone think that the arguably best defenseman in the league, much less history is going to take such a drastic pay cut.

Loyalty only goes so far.

All of you folks who think Holmstrom is going to take the hometown discount AGAIN are high! He took the hometown discount last time, to help the team with the Cap hit. I would expect a 2-3 year deal with a fairly decent monetary amount. The biggest factor in knocking this dollar amount down, is Homer has missed 25 games due to injury every year the past three years.

This signing though is going to be huge, in whether Lidstrom would re-up! I think Homer leaving could break a deal with Lidstrom returning. And for those who think Lidstrom is going to sign for much under 7.5 million are in for a huge shock too. How can anyone think that the arguably best defenseman in the league, much less history is going to take such a drastic pay cut.

Loyalty only goes so far.

The reason Lids takes a pay cut is because he knows that resigning at 6.5 or more will not win him a Cup, so why even bother coming back at his age if its not for a real chance to Win. This team from this season was TERRIBLE and cannot win a cup, He knows the Wings need more depth scoring and by only giving the Wings like 1mill to spend isnt going to get him anywhere near the Cup, and Homer isnt getting more then 2mill a year and is dreaming if he thinks he is, the guy is always getting hurt and for the style he plays it is more likely to happen again. I say Homer gets a 2yr 3.5-4mill,1st year like 1.5mill 2nd 3mill, Lids i say gets a 1yr 4.5-5.5mill. we cant be putting out 3rd and 4th lines like....and expect to win.

Eaves-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Abdlekader-Miller

this is a line-up that could bring us back to the Cup if we could get a decent 3rd line Scorer like Afinegenov(not a 3rd line player but with money we save on not getting Miller,Williams back we could make a offer)thats 3 lines of good scoring and a 4th line with tons of speed that teams would hate to go against.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Filppula-?(UFA)Afinegenov

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm