• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

Homer Contract Disussion

Rate this topic

I think homer could get 3 million per for 2 years if he wanted it, but he's going to have to leave town to do it. We're not going to be able to keep all these guys until they retire. Every year the game keeps getting faster and younger. Homer could easily take another step down again next season. His skating is already so bad, he's mostly a PP guy as it is. Holland is going to have to make some tough decisions. Both Homer and Bert want multi yr deals and both are over 35. He might only be able to get one.

Another year being jammed up against the cap so we can't make any moves at the deadline. Holland must remember, this team isn't a cup winner or runner up. WE lost in the second round in 5 games. We need to improve not be stagnant.

I think homer could get 3 million per for 2 years if he wanted it, but he's going to have to leave town to do it. We're not going to be able to keep all these guys until they retire. Every year the game keeps getting faster and younger. Homer could easily take another step down again next season. His skating is already so bad, he's mostly a PP guy as it is. Holland is going to have to make some tough decisions. Both Homer and Bert want multi yr deals and both are over 35. He might only be able to get one.

Another year being jammed up against the cap so we can't make any moves at the deadline. Holland must remember, this team isn't a cup winner or runner up. WE lost in the second round in 5 games. We need to improve not be stagnant.

Let Bertuzzi walk.If Holmstrom wants too much,i hate to say it,but let him walk.We need to get younger and faster like you mentioned.Signing a pair of 35+ year olds to multi-year contracts won't do it for us.

I am torn here, as much as I love Homer in the Winged Wheel, the words coming from his agent are like nails on a chalk board:

"Multi-Year" SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHH

"NO home town discount" SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHH

Sounds like Homer, well at least his agent, is thinking one last pay day to go get!

A 37 year old homer is not the same as a 37 year old Draper or Bill Guerin or even Dallas Drake, the man has taken infinitely more damage than any of those guys.

Think about it this way, since the lockout his body has taken LESS damage a year, the rules changed and he is not beat the way he used to be, yet he is older so his body more than likely can't take the same abuse it did a couple of years ago.

His body has taken a toll, and I think that deserves the Wings rewarding him, but realistically.

I would be ok with 2 years 2 - 2.5 mil total, anything more than 1.25 a year I say pass, with a huge lump in my throat!

If his asking for too much, let him walk Kenny. I don't care if his been with the organization for how long, it doesn't entitle him to a bigger contract due to his loyalty to the team.

He wanted a championship team, he wanted to stay in the team it's plain and simple, no one forced him he could of left easily it was his choice. Now if he wants to be greedy and ask for more then his worth well I'm sorry but he needs to go.

Every $$$ counts in the cap era, his 37 and not getting younger and I do know that there's probably no 1 that would replace him but hey I rather keep the $$$ spend else where in need. (Defense)

If his asking for too much, let him walk Kenny. I don't care if his been with the organization for how long, it doesn't entitle him to a bigger contract due to his loyalty to the team.

He wanted a championship team, he wanted to stay in the team it's plain and simple, no one forced him he could of left easily it was his choice. Now if he wants to be greedy and ask for more then his worth well I'm sorry but he needs to go.

Every $$$ counts in the cap era, his 37 and not getting younger and I do know that there's probably no 1 that would replace him but hey I rather keep the $$$ spend else where in need. (Defense)

I some what agree, Franzen has proven he can play Holmstrom style hockey infront of the net what he lacks in tipping he makes up with way more speed,better hands and a better shot, Wings could easily save that Cap money and sign a 2nd line scorer/power forward or use that space at trade deadline. But i think alot of this is his Agent talking and not him, why leave now you have been here your whole career ok you have 1-2 yrs left in you but if the Wings want him to stay and offer him what they can im sure he is going to take it i cant see Kenny trying to rip him off.

I some what agree, Franzen has proven he can play Holmstrom style hockey infront of the net what he lacks in tipping he makes up with way more speed,better hands and a better shot.

Franzen can play a Homer type role on the power play. 5-on-5, you don't really want him in front of the net. You want him in the Brett Hull areas of the ice getting ready to shoot.

Franzen can play a Homer type role on the power play. 5-on-5, you don't really want him in front of the net. You want him in the Brett Hull areas of the ice getting ready to shoot.

Ya im just saying Franzen can play both styles infront and slot,corners pretty much all over, were Homer is more front of the net and thats it

Here's the problem with a multi-year deal. Before this year, he started picking up alot of injuries and saw his numbers and ice time started to gradually fall. So the question is does Homer still have anything left in the tank? Or was this just one lucky year of staying healthy and being a top line contributor?

All of you folks who think Holmstrom is going to take the hometown discount AGAIN are high! He took the hometown discount last time, to help the team with the Cap hit. I would expect a 2-3 year deal with a fairly decent monetary amount. The biggest factor in knocking this dollar amount down, is Homer has missed 25 games due to injury every year the past three years.

This signing though is going to be huge, in whether Lidstrom would re-up! I think Homer leaving could break a deal with Lidstrom returning. And for those who think Lidstrom is going to sign for much under 7.5 million are in for a huge shock too. How can anyone think that the arguably best defenseman in the league, much less history is going to take such a drastic pay cut.

Loyalty only goes so far.

As does winning.

Lidstrom $5 mil, Holmstrom 2 years, $3 mil.

Unfortunately they can't seem to see the bigger picture beyond their $$$.

I like it, but I'd do the first year at 1m, and the second at 3m, to give him incentive to play it out.

I like this thought, but there's no way he only takes the 1mil for this season, regardless of the overall payday, he's been making over 2 million a season and I would imagine wants another payday before his career is over... lets call a spade a spade, he's the best at what he does, but he's too one dimensional to take a lot of the cap...

What I would love to see them do, is give him a 2 yr/4 million contract - 2.5 million for 2010 and 1.5 million base salary for 2011, but with bonuses which could raise him to 2.5 for 2011 - actual cap hit of 2 million a year... then, if he hits his bonus marks, it means he had a great year in 2011 and earned his 2.5, of which, we can defer some of that bonus salary to the following year if needed for cap space reasons...

Edited by stevkrause

I like this thought, but there's no way he only takes the 1mil for this season, regardless of the overall payday, he's been making over 2 million a season and I would imagine wants another payday before his career is over... lets call a spade a spade, he's the best at what he does, but he's too one dimensional to take a lot of the cap...

What I would love to see them do, is give him a 2 yr/4 million contract - 2.5 million for 2010 and 1.5 million base salary for 2011, but with bonuses which could raise him to 2.5 for 2011 - actual cap hit of 2 million a year... then, if he hits his bonus marks, it means he had a great year in 2011 and earned his 2.5, of which, we can defer some of that bonus salary to the following year if needed for cap space reasons...

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/1614

Looking at his salary history. Looks like he has been getting nice raises since he started with us... He always had heart and been competitive, but I think the the bonus Idea is great. Let him earn the chance to make some extra cash, give him a goal to work towards as well as keep him competitive, if not, then nothing lost. But he should have the opportunity to earn more based on the brutal punishment he has taken for our team. I don't see many players risking their bodies like he does, and well should be rewarded for it sometime.

Jachred

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/1614

Looking at his salary history. Looks like he has been getting nice raises since he started with us... He always had heart and been competitive, but I think the the bonus Idea is great. Let him earn the chance to make some extra cash, give him a goal to work towards as well as keep him competitive, if not, then nothing lost. But he should have the opportunity to earn more based on the brutal punishment he has taken for our team. I don't see many players risking their bodies like he does, and well should be rewarded for it sometime.

Jachred

Exactly, the guy is a warrior and takes a beating for his goals - 2mil is a BARGAIN for a 30 goal scorer when healthy... now the problem is, that because of his age and the abuse he takes, he's very rarely healthy for a full year anymore, but that's why 2 mil is reasonable... he makes his 2.5 in 2010/11 and then if he nets 30 in 2011/12, then he's gets his 2.5 that year too... I'm always a fan of incentive based contracts, I think guys play a lot harder under those circumstances...

Homer still thinks he's a 20 min a night kind of guy?

He's only had one season where he avg 17 and a half.

I'm not sure he thinks of himself as a 20 minute a night guy but I'll bet he does think of himself as a 25 goal 45 point a year guy . . . and I hope that doesn't make him want to demand too much for his services.

I'm not sure he thinks of himself as a 20 minute a night guy but I'll bet he does think of himself as a 25 goal 45 point a year guy . . . and I hope that doesn't make him want to demand too much for his services.

I'm guessing he's also got plenty of examples of where a goal can be directly attributed to his play in front of the goalie that hasn't brought him a goal or assist. In a season there must be quite a few...