• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

NHL Playoff Ratings

Rate this topic

Pertinent points about NHL Playoff ratings from the linked article below.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ioEvu3BCk4LRMdwxG-2VMUhS0BtQ

The first two rounds averaged 886,000 viewers per game in the U.S., up 19 per cent from last year and the most since 1997 — in other words, since before the lockout.

That's more than when the Mickey Mouse networks broadcasted NHL games.

The first two rounds on Versus averaged the most viewers for cable coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs since Nielsen started keeping track in 1994.

The NHL proudly notes that on May 7, when the Bruins and Celtics both had playoff games and the Red Sox were facing the Yankees, it was the hockey game that drew the most viewers in the Boston area. Game 4 of the Bruins-Flyers series attracted 328,000 viewers on Versus, the baseball game on local network NESN had 223,000, and Cavaliers-Celtics Game 3 averaged 142,000 on ESPN.

Versus beat a Mickey Mouse network.

I agree with Leonsis, the NHL is in better shape than the NBA.

But not just financially, the Ref scandal and inconsistency (plus the carry over of the Jordan rules to any player with a commercial) has hurt the sport.

The game has become a pick and roll league, with the resurgence of the point guard position I see the games getting more interesting and fast paced, guys like Rondo, Rose, Paul, etc.. push the pace and are great defensive players as well.

But right now the NHL without a doubt has the better product as well.

The top 8 (final 8 I guess is a better term!) teams in the NHL change almost yearly, the past three years in the NBA the top 8 haven't changed much at all.

For the last 3 years the top 4 teams have been C's, Lakers, Magic, Cavs (not in that order) each year, it just so happens 3 are in one conference so they have had to alternate the conference finals. But the best 4 teams in the league are above.

There also are more people with more TVs then there were 5 years ago.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the ratings are taken from samples. Ratings companies install devices on however many participants TV's and record which programs they're watching

Well that kinda sucks in a way. That means their marketing strategy has worked. And they'll keep doing it.

And it'll only get worse. Now replays just won't be "Subway Replays." We'll have to watch a Subway commercial before we see the replay.

Pertinent points about NHL Playoff ratings from the linked article below.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ioEvu3BCk4LRMdwxG-2VMUhS0BtQ

Versus beat a Mickey Mouse network.

Why do you dislike ESPN so much? I'm really not trying to give you s**t even though my post looks ridiculously condescending. You bag on them plenty, a lot more than the general standard of disliking ESPN on here, and I'm curious in trying to figure it out.

And it'll only get worse. Now replays just won't be "Subway Replays." We'll have to watch a Subway commercial before we see the replay.

Not just that but a certain C-Word choking down a Bettman two inch. Hiyoooo!