No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Datsyuk Named Top Forward of World Championships

Rate this topic

Already mentioned here:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65265&st=60

But it´s great for Pavel!!!

Playing with Malkin and Kovalchuk in a line, but scoring 6 goals! That´s amazing!

Datsyuk had so many great set-ups today... if the rest of the Russian forwards could convert on those passes the game would've turned out much better.

He's the most complete Russian forward. Whether that means "best" is up for debate. Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovelchuk have all had terrible seasons though. At least Datsyuk can finish with a bit of a high note.

He's the most complete Russian forward. Whether that means "best" is up for debate. Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovelchuk have all had terrible seasons though. At least Datsyuk can finish with a bit of a high note.

Datsyuk is the most complete, but Ovechkin is a scoring machine and is one of the 2 best players in hockey. Kind of hard to say that he's not the best Russian player in the league.

Not his fault he didn't play with the 2002 Wings or with Lidstrom and Zetterberg in the playoffs. He has a lot more pressure on him than what Datsyuk has ever had in Detroit. Other Caps players just let him down in the postseason these last few years.

Datsyuk is the most complete, but Ovechkin is a scoring machine and is one of the 2 best players in hockey. Kind of hard to say that he's not the best Russian player in the league.

Not his fault he didn't play with the 2002 Wings or with Lidstrom and Zetterberg in the playoffs. He has a lot more pressure on him than what Datsyuk has ever had in Detroit. Other Caps players just let him down in the postseason these last few years.

Don't you wonder what kind of numbers Datsyuk would put up on Washington, though? If he was encouraged to focus 100% on offense? I know balanced play is Datsyuk's game, so I'm not suggesting that it'd be a switch he'd flip in his head, but still, he uses a great deal of energy on defense and he's very unlikely to take defensive risks in the name of offense. It'd be interesting to see what kind of numbers Datsyuk could put up in the East playing the kind of game all the scoring champs play.

Don't you wonder what kind of numbers Datsyuk would put up on Washington, though? If he was encouraged to focus 100% on offense? I know balanced play is Datsyuk's game, so I'm not suggesting that it'd be a switch he'd flip in his head, but still, he uses a great deal of energy on defense and he's very unlikely to take defensive risks in the name of offense. It'd be interesting to see what kind of numbers Datsyuk could put up in the East playing the kind of game all the scoring champs play.

The World Championships aren't a fair representation for the NHL but it does somewhat show that when he's given the opportunity and role of a pure scorer (pretty certain he played almost no PK and was on the PP all the time) he does know how to light the lamp. (1 GPG and a 50% SG). Not likely that he'd match Ovechkin's goalscoring but looking at the numbers Bäckström puts up and extrapolating from those seems reasonable.

This frigging 'scoring machine' starts to piss off everybody but Caps fans... 99% of time he acts like a stapler and as predictable as a stapler: wait for a pass and shoot, wait for a pass and shoot, wait for pass and shoot. Machine he is. Oh yeah, sometime stapler can be used for something else, and then he (a scoring machine) can make some moves and even passes. Very rarely though.

Поздравляю, Павел!

That's supposed to say, "Congratulations, Pavel!" but I suck at Russian.

You said (and spelled) it perfectly. :)

Definitely the best Russian forward. The only one who was actually consistently good.

agreed, super responsible in the own zone and very thoughtful play in offense, amazing performance by Pavel, 100% deserved

Поздравляю, Павел!

That's supposed to say, "Congratulations, Pavel!" but I suck at Russian.

100% accurate :clap:

This frigging 'scoring machine' starts to piss off everybody but Caps fans... 99% of time he acts like a stapler and as predictable as a stapler: wait for a pass and shoot, wait for a pass and shoot, wait for pass and shoot. Machine he is. Oh yeah, sometime stapler can be used for something else, and then he (a scoring machine) can make some moves and even passes. Very rarely though.

You said (and spelled) it perfectly. :)

:thumbup:

Edited by sharomyga

Is he the best Russian forward in the NHL right now?

It almost seems like a joke to say he isn't after seeing how Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk have played in the Olympics, NHL playoffs and the WHC compared to Pavel.

But to some people regular season goals will always be the most important thing when you talk about who the best player is.

Say what you want, but I think he was the best. I read somewhere that they thought Malkin was the best, but I beg to differ. It's Pasha hands down.

pavel is definitely the most complete player in the NHL and he has the best set of hands too. if the wings werent hurt so badly by injuries this year, pavel would have had a much more productive season point-wise.

Guest mindfly

I hope he is like lidstrom and gets better with age, it's hard to imagine datsyuk turning 32 on July 20th... hopefully he can play like this until atleast 36 :)

My biggest point is that Ovechkin is asked to carry a franchise, which is something Pavel could never do with his personality and unselfish demeanor. He's never had that kind of pressure on him. He has other reliable playoff performers here in Detroit.

Also, it's interesting how early this season, everyone on LGW would have said Ovechkin is better, but I see the tide changing around here now.

Guest mindfly

It's because this was the worst year of ovechkins career so far... Choked in the olympics, choked in the first round of the playoffs, choked in the world championship final, won't be a hart trophy winner for sure... etc

Edited by mindfly

Also, it's interesting how early this season, everyone on LGW would have said Ovechkin is better, but I see the tide changing around here now.

i wouldnt speak for everyone if i were you, ive always believed pavel is better