• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
servo

If you're the GM for the Sharks, what do you do?

Rate this topic

San Jose would have to offer more than Thornton for Kaberle?

Burke wants to dump Kaberle. Thornton is a big, strong center (Burkie drools!) who is highly talented. The WORST deal San Jose gets there is Thornton for Kaberle straight up. But offering the kind of top-line center Burke wants for a top-pairing defenseman he wants rid of? That means extra parts headed to San Jose.

I get what you're saying,but i think Burke wants a guy that can score and throw around his body on a more regular basis than Thornton.Guys that come to my mind are Nathan Horton and Ryan Malone.

A guy I know who is a Sharks fan had the following thoughts:

I'll hold off on tearing Heatley a new a-hole until after they announce how many surgeries he's having on his knee, but he was a Mike-Greenesque level of cap worthlessness as he was. Offhand without getting into Capgeek, I'd let Nabby walk, Blake and Wallin retire, and deal Heatley if you can get away with it. Never would have said it two weeks ago, but I'd rather keep Marleau than Heatley, especially if Marleau's willing to take something like 8 years, 44 million frontloaded to retire here.

The Turco suggestions make me laugh - if the Sharks' management has any brains at all, they aren't going to ditch Nabokov for Turco. Marty Five Hole is usually an even bigger playoff headcase, and he's hardly any younger than Nabokov.

Heatley supposedly had a groin injury, so maybe that affected his skating. However, having a groin injury doesn't mean you blow a defensive assignment for 2 game winning goals in a series. How the heck does someone lose sight of someone like Big Buff? I still LOL when i look at Buff's goal in game 3, Heatley was still looking left and right trying to figure what happened when the goal was scored.

Heatley has always been only interested in one-timers. He is not interested in doing other things. At least Hossa was back checking hard when he wasn't scoring.

Good point.

At least Hossa did something other than float waiting for an offensive opportunity. Heatly... well I guess he's been hanging out with Spezza too much because he's supposed to be capable of being average defensively.

A guy I know who is a Sharks fan had the following thoughts:

The Turco suggestions make me laugh - if the Sharks' management has any brains at all, they aren't going to ditch Nabokov for Turco. Marty Five Hole is usually an even bigger playoff headcase, and he's hardly any younger than Nabokov.

Nabby's hardly any better than urco, and you wouldn't rather use the $4m-$5m difference in cap space to add another top pairing defenseman like Volchenkov or Kubina?

Volchenkov+Turco > Nabokov

What's the timetable on seeing that silver lining? It sure feels a long way off right now. All I feel is a combination of profound emptiness and hurt.

At least your team is packed to the gills with trade-bait. I can haz Setti? :cool:

If I'm the GM of the Sharks, I start to look for other jobs, 'cause I'm not sure Doug Wilson will survive the offseason. Personally I'd like him to stay, but I'm in the minority among sharks fans.

Oh snap!

Trade Joe Thornton to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle, Mikhail Grabovski, and a first round pick.

Trade Dany Heatley to Florida for Stephen Weiss, Michal Frolik, and a second round pick.

Trade Dan Boyle to Dallas for Matt Niskanen, Fabian Bruunstrom, Toby Petersen, and a second round pick.

Sign Patrick Marleau to a deal worth $6.5m-$7m per year for 3-5 years.

Sign Jose Theodore, Martin Biron, or Marty Turco to a deal worth $1.5m-$2m.

Let Nabokov walk, trade his negotiating rights before July 1st if possible.

In other words:

F: Thornton, Heatley for Weiss, Grabovski, Frolik, Bruunstrom, Petersen

D: Boyle for Kaberle, Niskanen

G: Nabokov for Theodore/Biron/Turco

No, the top line is not the ridiculous line it was. But it allows the Sharks to roll three solid scoring lines with skilled personnel. Kaberle for Boyle is a fair swap, with $2m off the books. Niskanen comes in as a bonus providing solid play to the D. No, Theodore, Biron, and Turco are not Nabokov. But here's the kicker; Nabokov is slightly better than those guys. Making the changes I stated is more of a positive than swapping out Nabokov for Theodore/Biron/Turco would be a negative. Plus in my dealings I've dropped $4m-$5m off the Sharks' cap hit and picked up a couple of picks. Figure the Sharks then add one more solid defenseman like Kubina to the group, or maybe a forward like Frolov.

Could get scary.

Reunite Kubina and Kaberle? Worked for Toronto! :hehe:

If I were Wilson I'd be seriously worried about being unemployed at this point. And if I made it beyond that, I'd be looking for some guys to replace the likes of Heatly/Thornton/Nabakov with guys who have won something in their careers. I'm not sure if I'd resign Marleau or not- he's the one guy with the choker label that seemed to halfway show up this go around.

I actually think the way the Sharks lost in the WCF is more embarrassing and more catastrophic to the team than if they had lost in six or seven games in the first round. Thus far, they're the only team to have been swept in the playoffs and unless there's a sweep in the Finals, it'll stay that way. I really thought they'd put up more of a fight. And I don't necessarily see the sweep of the Sharks as an indictment against the Wings' talent - Chicago is just on a friggin' mission this year. Who would have thought they'd be able to ride Niemi to the Finals?

That said, I think it'll be hilarious if Hossa loses in the Finals for a 3rd consecutive season. I don't bear the guy any ill will necessarily, but you have to admit, it's some dark humor there.

Nabakov and Marleau are both UFAs. At least one won't be back. Here was their problem:

Thornton: 3G, 9A, 12Pts, -11

Marleau: 8G, 5A, 13Pts, -3

Heatly: 2G, 11A, 13Pts, -7

Almost a point-per-game average isn't bad, but that plus/minus is brutal. For all the points they were getting they were giving up much more. Heatly looked like the smallest big man in NHL history vs. the Wings.

Thornton had a decent series against Detroit, but was still -2. He had one point and was -5 in the finals--meaning he was on the ice for half of Chicago's even-strength goals (his assist came on the power play). Brutal. Marleau is the only one who showed up vs. Chicago and he's most likely to be gone with his UFA status and that whole "stripping of the captaincy" thing.

Edited by A.T.Hun

We have to keep Nabokov Or Marleau.

No for Marleau- if he' asking for 7 mill or more.

Yes to Nabokov if he signs cheap.

We have to resign Pavs and Seto.

Try to resign Maholtra and Nichol for 2 years.

Try to sign Hanhuis, Volchenkov or Corvo.

IF we don't resign Nabokov, try to get price, Ellis,Vokoun, Theodore, or Turco.

Trade Heatley for a solid Defensemenn.

Oh and release: Wallin,Blake. Trade Huskins

But my number 1 goals for this offseason is: Resign Marleau, reamp our Defense.

We have to keep Nabokov Or Marleau.

No for Marleau- if he' asking for 7 mill or more.

Yes to Nabokov if he signs cheap.

We have to resign Pavs and Seto.

Try to resign Maholtra and Nichol for 2 years.

Try to sign Hanhuis, Volchenkov or Corvo.

IF we don't resign Nabokov, try to get price, Ellis,Vokoun, Theodore, or Turco.

Trade Heatley for a solid Defensemenn.

Oh and release: Wallin,Blake. Trade HuskinsBut my number 1 goals for this offseason is: Resign Marleau, reamp our Defense.

Psssst...Trade Huskins to us :thumbup:

The san jose sharks really need help in the playoffs. They are one of those teams that are just absolutely stacked with players such as Heatly, Thornton, Pavelski, and many other players. They have also had the number one seed for the western conference for the past two years and they still cant make it to the play off finals. If I was the GM, I think I would have the team known as a regular season team instead of a playoff team.

This is the best time for them to finally shed some of the baggage they have.

The Pavelski line was without a doubt their best line this year, trade Marleau, get rid of Blake, get younger.

Stay away from Kovy.

Trade Marleau for a decent shut down center. Hope Homer asks for too much from the Wings, pick up secondary scorers.

Heatley and Thornton with Homer

Pavelski line

upgraded third line

D is pretty good already, just find some one to replace Blake.

Turco is not an upgrade over Nabby, Try to get Vokoun out of Florida or Rinne out of Nashville? Probably neither are going to happen but Vokoun is the more likely.

Not trade Marleau. Still stay with him. I would have liked Nabokov or Marleau to both retire as a Shark. As they have been with this Franchise, since they were 18.

Stay away with kovy just like the other poster said.

D iis not good. The D is our weakness. Our Major weakness, we need to reamp the D this offseason. If I was WIlson, I would try to Sign Hamhuis or Volchenkov and sign Willie Mitchell. We will have two legit puck moving defensemen.

Boyle- Mitchell

Hamhuis- Vlasic

Demers- Huskins

trading for Vokoun or halak\price, if we release Nabokov. Don't want Turco

Fowards wise, Trading Clowe or Heatley for some good defense. We could trade clowe for Regehr, I don't know if that would work.

Signing Afinigineov would be nice, I haven't really looked into the fowards too much. We could sign Higgins, since he won't have the pressure like he did in NYR or Calgary, he might go back to his scoring touch. Sign some veterans like Nolan or Ray Whitney

Oh and resigning Nichol and Maholtra is a must.

Thats too much signing, but just either players. The Sharks must is to reamp the D

And if we rebulid, Trade Thornton and Heatley to Edmonton or Toronto.

And Trade Marleaus rights to La or Calgary.

Trade Nabokov's rights to __________ whatever teams, wants him. I would think he would go to the caps.

This is all at the draft.

Trade Clowe to Montreal, that was the team that was really intrested in Clowe.

Trade Vlasic to Vancouver or someone who wants a stable Defensemen and hits like a girl.

Edited by sharkfan20

Trade Vlasic to Vancouver or someone who wants a stable Defensemen and hits like a girl.

Bryan Murray meekly raises his hand...

You're right on at least one thing, though: Malhotra has to stay. The kid's seriously one of the hardest workers on the team, and undoubtedly a lynchpin for that bottom six. With better coaching when he was younger he'd be a Selke candidate.

Yes, First, when I heard Maholtra was signed that cheap. I was like whoa, what a bargain. I didn't know how good he was at first, but as the season progressed, he was amazing. His speed, his shot, his defensive abilities. He is amazing at the faceoff circle.

sure doug wilson could put more heat on them but ....the problem in san jose is the fans are usually ******* who rally around a bunch of guys who won't take it to the next level... everyone is ready to hand them the cup before the playoffs start (myself included somewhat) and they take a s*** in the water tank every ******* time. :ranting: TOO RELAXED in san hoe...im also a huge sharks fan and in the start of the year i ******* boo them for being losers and other sharks fans look at me like im the *******....the sharks display some of the worst choking i have seen since the early 1990's red wings.