• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Secret

The Curse of Marian Hossa

Rate this topic

Hossa might be a nice guy and all - but after his no-show act in the finals three years in a row - can't say he deserves to win it. You can bank he'll be invisible now for the next 11 years as well....

You sure? 12 goals 14 assists in 08 isn't really a "no-show". And no Crosby didn't inflate his point total because, believe it or not, he's not the godsend everyone thinks he is. In 09 he was hurt(though most refuse to acknowledge it) and in 10 he put up some points in the Fianl. And even if he wasn't, as others have said before, he was making plays and providing a strong forecheck and backcheck.

Hossa Played With Bad Knee In SCF

Blog: KK Hockey By Paul

06/12/10 at 03:54 PM ET | Comments (0)

via Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago,

Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa said Saturday that he played the Stanley Cup finals with a sprained MCL in his right knee, suffered in Game 1 against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Hossa dealt with the lingering effects of shoulder surgery all season and also had a banged-up back in the finals.

Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa said Saturday that he played the Stanley Cup finals with a sprained MCL in his right knee, suffered in Game 1 against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Hossa dealt with the lingering effects of shoulder surgery all season and also had a banged-up back in the finals.

Still though.

It's a bit much of a cap hit for an injury prone mediocre playoff performer.

Talk about excuse making.

1. He scored 3 goals in the first three series of the postseason (before spraining his MCL).

2. He scored 24 goals in 57 games for the Hawks after his surgery. Lingering effects my ass.

Still though.

It's a bit much of a cap hit for an injury prone mediocre playoff performer.

Exactly. For $7.9 Mill, I bet the Hawks were hoping for more than 3 goals out of him.

Luckily they had enough talent to make up for it.

I'm sure they were hoping he'd be top 5 on the team in points and goals in the playoffs. He was neither.

Exactly. For $7.9 Mill, I bet the Hawks were hoping for more than 3 goals out of him.

Luckily they had enough talent to make up for it.

I'm sure they were hoping he'd be top 5 on the team in points and goals in the playoffs. He was neither.

His cap hit is about 5m though. And that's all what matters basically.

Cry me a river. This guy's got more excuses than a politician in Washington. <_<

Who's not banged up in the SCF? I don't hear other guys complaining about it - they still do their job - bruises, bone chips and all.

I just don't get why Wings fans still defend this guy. We are minus one Cup alot to do with him. Glad he's not on our team - good riddance.

You guys are right, it's just another excuse. I mean what kind of guy plays more hockey than anyone in the league the last 3 years and then has the nerve to suffer the effects of it. I mean what a pansy. With what he's being paid he has no right to be hurt. He should be smart enough to use that money to buy time off or something so he's not getting hurt all the time.

Cry me a river. This guy's got more excuses than a politician in Washington. dry.gif

Who's not banged up in the SCF? I don't hear other guys complaining about it - they still do their job - bruises, bone chips and all.

I just don't get why Wings fans still defend this guy. We are minus one Cup alot to do with him. Glad he's not on our team - good riddance.

You cry me a river and learn hockey. He isnt making excuses, all players who play their hardest end up injured by the end of playoffs. No one is making excuses injures are legit. So stop searching for reasons to hate hossa even though he owned your ass and the rest of the league by winning the cup.

But it isn't just this playoff that he sucked. It is damn near every year.

His CAREER points/game

regular season 770/832 = 0.925

playoffs 91/120 = 0.758

This is a HUGE difference

No excuses of being injured can explain away 10 years of poor playoff production.

Now we have the curse of Ville Leino. 2 SCF losses in a year playing for 2 different teams.... Can he make it 3?

You guys are right, it's just another excuse. I mean what kind of guy plays more hockey than anyone in the league the last 3 years and then has the nerve to suffer the effects of it. I mean what a pansy. With what he's being paid he has no right to be hurt. He should be smart enough to use that money to buy time off or something so he's not getting hurt all the time.

1. He scored 3 goals in the first three series of the postseason (before spraining his MCL).

2. He scored 24 goals in 57 games for the Hawks after his surgery. Lingering effects my ass.

Call a spade a spade, guys.

Call a spade a spade, guys.

Well people here like to say that part of the reason why the Wings haven't been playing well/have been hurt has been because of all the hockey they've played over the past few seasons, leaving little time for rest. Maybe, just possibly, this is the case with Hossa.

Going to the Finals 3 years in a row means playing hard for 3ish more months and getting less rest than the rest of the league. It's obvious he hasn't been playing well and to deny that would be foolish, I'm just saying there might be a reason for it. 3 years of long playoff runs = less rest = injuries = poor play.

Well people here like to say that part of the reason why the Wings haven't been playing well/have been hurt has been because of all the hockey they've played over the past few seasons, leaving little time for rest. Maybe, just possibly, this is the case with Hossa.

Going to the Finals 3 years in a row means playing hard for 3ish more months and getting less rest than the rest of the league. It's obvious he hasn't been playing well and to deny that would be foolish, I'm just saying there might be a reason for it. 3 years of long playoff runs = less rest = injuries = poor play.

If the guy requires long periods of rest in order to perform well then maybe he should have stayed in Atlanta.

My entire point was that people continue to make excuses for Hossa not showing up on the scoresheet, but the fact remains that he flat out did not. That is something you have to look for when signing players.

If the guy requires long periods of rest in order to perform well then maybe he should have stayed in Atlanta.

Not him specifically, just players in general. If players are going to play that long, it's not unusual for them to get hurt. And seeing as how he's been playing that long for 3 straight years, it's not surprising he's been getting hurt. Like I said, I'm not trying to play the injury card, but it might be a factor. Personally, I think in 08 he played well because he was just playing, didn't really have anything to lose. In 09 and 10 his rep. was on the line and he might have been trying too hard/was trying to force the play/was playing nervous. That compiled with injures in the Final made for a poor performance. And yes, I understand that you wouldn't want that when signing a player.

You cry me a river and learn hockey. He isnt making excuses, all players who play their hardest end up injured by the end of playoffs. No one is making excuses injures are legit. So stop searching for reasons to hate hossa even though he owned your ass and the rest of the league by winning the cup.

Hossa had never owned anyone's ass. That's why he was with 4 clubs in just over 2 years.

I don't need to search for reasons to dislike him - he's provided enough. Moving from team to team to cherry pick a Stanley Cup. I'm a Red Wings fan and he was a big part of costing us one - Red Wings trump any positive feelings i ever had for Hossa.

Enough anyways. He's gone thankfully and Chicago will be looking for a way to trade him in a few years...

Yea thank god we didnt sign a stanly cup winning player.thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

Like Kopecky? I remember when he joined the Hawks, their homepage read that they welcomed "Stanley Cup Champion Tomas Kopecky".

Yea thank god we didnt sign a stanly cup winning player.thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

Actually, we signed two Cup winning players, and that was the reason we couldnt keep Hoss. Nice try though. All I heard all playoffs was "Sure he isnt scoring, but he's playing great defence and back checking hard" People said the same crap last year, bottom line: Big money players have to play big, he didnt either year. (he was good for Pittsburgh, but what does that count for now?) The Hawks won because of guys like Bolland, Versteeg and Byfuglien, not Hossa.

Hossa didn't own jack squat.

I see your point and definitely recognize hard work and backchecking and the like - stuff that doesn't go on the stat sheet usually.

I'm happy that he finally got a Stanley Cup, more power to him for contributing in different ways than goals.

However, a good part of his salary comes from producing goals and points. Something that he hasn't done all that much in the postseason outside of maybe 2 or 3 times.

Neither side is right or wrong. So quit getting your panties in a bunch if people think Hossa didn't do his part to help Chicago win. The argument that he did other things outside of points is legitmate, so is his lack of goal scoring production.

Byfuglien wouldn't even be in this conversation if he didn't scrape up all of the scraps from Toews and Kane on the PP. He scored 5 PP goals in 22 games, compared to 6 in the regular season. his pace works out to 19, which would have put him second to Stamkos' 24 in the regular season.

Toews was a beast all playoffs... Byfuglien was good, but no better than Hossa. The difference is Hossa was the best player on his line most of the run, while Byfuglien was the third best player on his.

Hossa scored more than Versteeg, had more impact defensively, and created more chances.

Hossa scored more than Bolland at even strength, and both were key to the Hawks' PK unit.

In fact, only Kane (16) and Sharp (15) had more even strength points than Hossa (14) did, and Hossa's 11 even strength assists led the team.

So no, he wasn't scoring a bunch of goals; he was only on pace for 11. But he was a key defensive player and was still on pace for 50+ points. People measuring him entirely by his goals are stupid and don't know hockey. Period.

Hossa was probably the Hawks second best forward in the postseason, maybe third (behind Sharp, but I don't think so). He was making things happen offensively every single time he got the puck in the offensive zone, was a monster defensively, and was consistently winning battles on the boards. It's really sad that people can't get over this irrational disdain they have towards Hossa. Either that or they're erroneously looking at point totals to determine how good a player was. Either way, it's sad that so many people don't understand how good Marian Hossa was this postseason.

Edited by Gordon Bombay

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Byfuglien wouldn't even be in this conversation if he didn't scrape up all of the scraps from Toews and Kane on the PP. He scored 5 PP goals in 22 games, compared to 6 in the regular season. his pace works out to 19, which would have put him second to Stamkos' 24 in the regular season.

Toews was a beast all playoffs... Byfuglien was good, but no better than Hossa. The difference is Hossa was the best player on his line most of the run, while Byfuglien was the third best player on his.

Hossa scored more than Versteeg, had more impact defensively, and created more chances.

Hossa scored more than Bolland at even strength, and both were key to the Hawks' PK unit.

In fact, only Kane (16) and Sharp (15) had more even strength points than Hossa (14) did, and Hossa's 11 even strength assists led the team.

So no, he wasn't scoring a bunch of goals; he was only on pace for 11. But he was a key defensive player and was still on pace for 50+ points. People measuring him entirely by his goals are stupid and don't know hockey. Period.

Holy s***! For once i'm in 100% agreement with Eva on every point. Well, I dunno so much about people being stupid or not knowing hockey. I think it's a little bit of people being blinded by hate and bitterness and letting their emotions cloud rational judgment. I thought Hossa was very noticeable on most of his shifts. He controlled the puck a lot, he backchecked like Datsyuk and Z. He's one of the best all around forwards in the freaking world and his coach and every single Hawks player will tell you he played his ass off and was extremely effective in the playoffs, including the finals. Goals, schmoals. He did everything else he needed to do to help them win.

This x infinity. :clap: