• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

If we keep the same roster as this season, then we'll have the same result that we had this season.

Some changes need to be made. Can't just bring back the same team unless you win the Cup. Even then, you usually see teams make changes of some kind.

I think the biggest change will be having a real top6 forward rather than guys like Williams. Also, I doubt any team can win the Cup with that many injuries we had this season.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

If we keep the same roster as this season, then we'll have the same result that we had this season.

More likely a worse result because many teams out there will get better.

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

I think the biggest change will be having a real top6 forward rather than guys like Williams. Also, I doubt any team can win the Cup with that many injuries we had this season.

Yeah, but we were healthy in the playoffs.

Some people even thought the injuries would be an advantage once everyone became healthy. They couldn't have been more wrong.

I think you and I both agree that an enforcer is what will put this team over the top as far as offseason acquisitions go. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
*Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.500m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($2.000m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Darren Helm ($0.800m)
Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.250m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
* Derek Meech ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $57.630m; CAP ROOM: $0.070m BONUSES: $0.000m

Is this realistic? I don't know. I hope Lidstrom takes that much of a pay cut but I could see him demanding a little more than that. I also have no idea how much it will take to resign Helm and Abby. I think we will sink or swim with Kindl being a regular defenseman, I know last year everyone thought we would trade for a "real" back up goalie but Holland trusted in Howard and was rewarded so I think its time to trust in Kindl now. I don't necessarily think we will sign Ponikarovsky but I think there is a good chance we go after a 2nd/3rd line tweener and that is the first name I found on cap geek's UFA list that seemed realistic to sign for 2.5 m. I know Holland said he wants to make the bottom six tougher but I think what they really want to do is be able to roll three scoring lines again, I swear that I read somewhere that he said that. Or maybe that is just what I want them to do :ph34r:
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

It seems that we agree on a lot on here. I'd like to see a roster very similar to yours. Maybe try to below lines (which may not have the chemistry, but the skill is there). In the above, did you forget Kindl or are you omitting him on purpose? I'd be fine letting Lilja go with Janik up full time as the 6th/7th defensemen.

Flip- Dats- Homer
Franzen- Z- Bert
Huds- Abby- Cleary
Eaves- Helm- Burish

No I forgot about him but I dont care really for making good D lines because we pretty muchh ave our top 6 set unless we lose Lilja then who knows what Kenny would do.

Okay I said sign Burish but I really think the best option for what we're looking for is Nystrom. He's good for 15 goals and 10 fights a year. What do you think would be a better signing, Burish(who will fight like 20 times probably and is more agitating) or Nystrom because he has more of a skilled game but is slightly less rough?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, but we were healthy in the playoffs.

Some people even thought the injuries would be an advantage once everyone became healthy. They couldn't have been more wrong.

I think you and I both agree that an enforcer is what will put this team over the top as far as offseason acquisitions go. :D

Well of course those regular season injuries had some effect on our post-season performances as well.

And yeah, I do agree that an enforcer would be nice. I'd want us to get a younger guy (not someone like May) who could stick around for the next years as well. But I don't think anything major is gonna happen. We probably already know our top6 forwards, our top4 d-men and our goalies. There will be some changes but they will be small. Although having one enforcer instead of none could be a big difference actually.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#47 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Well of course those regular season injuries had some effect on our post-season performances as well.

And yeah, I do agree that an enforcer would be nice. I'd want us to get a younger guy (not someone like May) who could stick around for the next years as well. But I don't think anything major is gonna happen. We probably already know our top6 forwards, our top4 d-men and our goalies. There will be some changes but they will be small. Although having one enforcer instead of none could be a big difference actually.

I don't see it being an actual enforcer though. Burish or Nystrom type guys(I would be ecstatic at both) are probably who kenny will look into. He may also see if he can get Chipchura who was a high touted prospect 2 years ago fromt he ducks.

Not your textbook enforcers but more like Drake type guys, all are under like 26 i think so we could have a solid, tough, young guy for once

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#48 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Raffi and Lidstrom need to be broken up...They really don't work together all that well anymore. So if nothing is done to acquire another dman that move at least has to be made.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#49 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

No I forgot about him but I dont care really for making good D lines because we pretty muchh ave our top 6 set unless we lose Lilja then who knows what Kenny would do.

Okay I said sign Burish but I really think the best option for what we're looking for is Nystrom. He's good for 15 goals and 10 fights a year. What do you think would be a better signing, Burish(who will fight like 20 times probably and is more agitating) or Nystrom because he has more of a skilled game but is slightly less rough?

My main priority for an enforcer is that they can skate and hit well. This will allow them to be successful in a fourth ling grinding role. Goals will come with the Wings' depth if they can do these things. I'd like to Wings to pick up someone who can police the game (must also be tougher than Abby). This doesn't mean they have to instigate for no/little reason, but I want someone there to retaliate when other teams take liberties. This might be 10 fights a year, but it might also be 20+. I haven't watched many Calgary games lately, so I cannot attest to Nystrom's abilities here. Someone like Jared Boll would be a perfect fit for the Wings, so whoever is closest to this I would be happiest with (more skill is always better though). With that said, Colton Orr is my favorite current enforcer (although he won't ever be a Wing) because he is a decent player and polices the game very well.

#50 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

They could have been like you and though we'd never make the playoffs, let alone a 5 seed. Technically, *you* couldn't have been more wrong.

Raffi and Lidstrom need to be broken up...They really don't work together all that well anymore.

This. They are good, but they don;t complement anymore, and being together doesn't overpower a team like they did 2 years ago. Spread them out, let them play with younger players.
*this space for rent*

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

They could have been like you and though we'd never make the playoffs, let alone a 5 seed. Technically, *you* couldn't have been more wrong.

Here comes the troll.

I never said we were definitely going to miss the playoffs. The 5 seed was just a guess that went wrong. Big freaking deal haters.

#52 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

with money we might save off Lids and the money we save by not bringing back Miller,Williams whats that like 2mill between the 2 does any one think we could get Raffi Torres hes a big guys 6'0 220 skates good, hits,can fight and can chip in offensivly have something like...

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Torres
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm
Draper

#53 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Here comes the troll.

I never said we were definitely going to miss the playoffs. The 5 seed was just a guess that went wrong. Big freaking deal haters.

No, you wavered on that, though you leaned heavily on not making it. As you did all season. Sorry your BS comes back to bite you, but calling me a troll because you run your mouth and make stupid predictions and someone holds you accountable is pretty weak.

You = ESPN hockey coverage
*this space for rent*

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

No, you wavered on that, though you leaned heavily on not making it. As you did all season. Sorry your BS comes back to bite you, but calling me a troll because you run your mouth and make stupid predictions and someone holds you accountable is pretty weak.

You = ESPN hockey coverage

What came back to bite me? Last I checked, I have no bite marks on me.

I called you a troll because you're always trying to goad me into something. Yeah I said we wouldn't be a 5 seed. You don't have to bring it up every freaking time you respond to me.

I'm just tired of your crap and wish you'd stop responding to me altogether since you seem to have some problem with me.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 25 May 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#55 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Lidstrom resigns for $1 million. Holland signs Kovalchuk. Wings win the cup.

:D
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

Lidstrom resigns for $1 million. Holland signs Kovalchuk. Wings win the cup.

:D

Only if Kovalchuk also takes a million. :D

#57 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

with money we might save off Lids and the money we save by not bringing back Miller,Williams whats that like 2mill between the 2 does any one think we could get Raffi Torres hes a big guys 6'0 220 skates good, hits,can fight and can chip in offensivly have something like...

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Torres
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm
Draper

You're forgetting perhaps that we are adding almost $3 million in Hudler. With all the other FAs, it certainly not outside the realm of possibility (particularly if we go with Kindl and Meech for the 6 & 7 D), but I'd say it's unlikely.

#58 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Filppula-Torres
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm
Draper

Yeah this is pretty much what I want. Torres is perfect, if not him then Eric Nystrom. I love Miller but he isnt what we need in a 4th liner.

#NOMOREKINDL

#59 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

You're forgetting perhaps that we are adding almost $3 million in Hudler. With all the other FAs, it certainly not outside the realm of possibility (particularly if we go with Kindl and Meech for the 6 & 7 D), but I'd say it's unlikely.

Well if we could get Lids to sign for like 4.5 let Miller and Willams walk thats like 5 mill and maybe let Lilja go say roughly 6 mill to bring in Hudler and Torres can someone do this on that capgeek or whatever its called dont know how to do it

#60 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Drapes.... retire. 4 rings.

Let it go. 1.583 Posted Image

draper is a great guy but i agree, i think hes just too old now and not productive enough.

Ok we don't want draper to retire now, we'd rather have him since the wings will eat the cap anyways.

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
*Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.500m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($2.000m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Darren Helm ($0.800m)
Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.250m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
* Derek Meech ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $57.630m; CAP ROOM: $0.070m BONUSES: $0.000m

Is this realistic? I don't know. I hope Lidstrom takes that much of a pay cut but I could see him demanding a little more than that. I also have no idea how much it will take to resign Helm and Abby. I think we will sink or swim with Kindl being a regular defenseman, I know last year everyone thought we would trade for a "real" back up goalie but Holland trusted in Howard and was rewarded so I think its time to trust in Kindl now. I don't necessarily think we will sign Ponikarovsky but I think there is a good chance we go after a 2nd/3rd line tweener and that is the first name I found on cap geek's UFA list that seemed realistic to sign for 2.5 m. I know Holland said he wants to make the bottom six tougher but I think what they really want to do is be able to roll three scoring lines again, I swear that I read somewhere that he said that. Or maybe that is just what I want them to do :ph34r:

I've heard Poni a locker room cancer. Idk how true it is but I have a friend who knows Toronto's old Medical Trainer and he told me that Poni was just a slefish dick. I know i'm gonna hear the stories of i know so and so from so and so and so and so kinda poke fun at me stories but take it for what it's worth.