Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

Lightning Have Their GM

Blog: KK Hockey By Paul

05/25/10 at 09:01 AM ET | Comments (0)

via a tweet from Jeff Marek,

Tampa Bay Lightening to introduce new GM this afternoon at 3ET

via a tweet from Erik Erlendsson,

no confirmation on who it is, but have been told a big name? Yzerman is biggest name out there

Good luck, Stevie. It's truly the end of an era. I am very sad... but I guess the beach and sunshine is calling him, along with a mediocre hockey team -- what could be better? :cool:

Besides retiring as GM of the best team ever, the Detroit Red Wings, I mean. :(

I got a say, big mistake if they make him the highest paid GM in the league.

I love guy and he did great things for the Canadian team, however in the Olympics he doesn't have to worry about competing offers, and players asking for more money or handing out NMCs.

Good luck Stevie, this is only a training stint until you come back to Det!

like I said in thread - http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65239&st=20

Tampa actually seems like one of the best opportunities there is now... new ownership that wants to win and is very hands off, GM gets to choose new coaching staff and inherits a LOT of young talent and some high picks in this years draft... furthermore, you add in the contingency of MI transplants in Tampa and this could potentially be the single best fit he could find outside of Detroit... I'm just glad he's not leaving

Guess all those reasons added up for him... it makes sense and I wish him the best of luck, that's a good opportunity down there and he will always be a Red Wing...

Good luck, Stevie. It's truly the end of an era. I am very sad... but I guess the beach and sunshine is calling him, along with a mediocre hockey team -- what could be better? :cool:

Besides retiring as GM of the best team ever, the Detroit Red Wings, I mean. :(

He may still. There's no way he was going to get the GM job in Detroit until Kenny moves on/retires. At that point, Yzerman should be plenty experienced in his new role and may fit in nicely in Detroit. As much as its sucks to see him work for another team, look at the bright-side: He'll get a little wet behind the ears and make rookie mistakes on another teams' watch. Then he can GM in Detroit once Kenny is finished. :D

He may still. There's no way he was going to get the GM job in Detroit until Kenny moves on/retires. At that point, Yzerman should be plenty experienced in his new role and may fit in nicely in Detroit. As much as its sucks to see him work for another team, look at the bright-side: He'll get a little wet behind the ears and make rookie mistakes on another teams' watch. Then he can GM in Detroit once Kenny is finished. :D

That's the way I'm looking at it... but it's still rough to imagine him being anywhere else, even if it's temporary :(

They got a guy who is respected by everyone in the hockey world. So he should have a good working relationship with virtually every other team when it comes to negotiations.

Also, he has the "Learned from Kenny Holland & Co." label, so that should help too.

Congrats Tampa Bay, I hope to see you in the finals soon!

Since I have so much respect for the man, I will not begrudge him the opportunity to prove himself outside of our already formidable organization. Were he to wait around for his chance here, he would be seen as the guy who inhereted the keys to an empire. He would get no credit for its continuing greatness. On the other hand if it were to falter during his reign he would be seen as the man that brought it all crashing down.

This man is a true leader, and he requires a challenge... a chance to prove himself. The way I see it, I now have a team in the East that I can actually care about.

Good Luck Stevie, I hope to see you back in the D at some point in the distant future.