• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Yzerman just couldn't wait any longer... :(

I guess he won't participate in the scouting meeting in early june with the red wings when they talk draft, free agency etc :(

Edited by mindfly

That's the way I'm looking at it... but it's still rough to imagine him being anywhere else, even if it's temporary :(

No doubt it is, but he wants to be an NHL GM and since the position is already filled in Detroit (wonderfully, I might add) he had to go elsewhere *for the time being.* :D

Would it be an epic fail to get a Tampa jersey with Yzerman on the back?? I now have another team to root for. Sad to see The Legend go, but he was not going to get a chance in Detroit for who knows how long. As others have said, just needs some experience, and then he will be back. What happens if the Wings and Bolts meet up in the finals anytime soon? Who are you going to root for? The Captain, or our Team? Something to think about.

Tampa is now my new favorite team in the East. Hopefully he can build a great team around the solid pieces they have, Stamkos, Hedman, St.Louis, Lecavalier etc.

It will hurt to see him with another team though.. imagine a Tampa-Detroit SCF.. it feels unlikely now but in a few years maybe he has turned them into a winner.

ugh stevie just bolted

Zing!

In fairness I'm sad to see Stevie go (and wish he could've stayed a couple more year) but Tampa being out of the spotlight and having low expectations is a good situation for him to take the next step in his career progression. Since the Detroit GM job is far more prestigious and sought-after he could still come back to us in the future.

Tampa is now my new favorite team in the East. Hopefully he can build a great team around the solid pieces they have, Stamkos, Hedman, St.Louis, Lecavalier etc.

It will hurt to see him with another team though.. imagine a Tampa-Detroit SCF.. it feels unlikely now but in a few years maybe he has turned them into a winner.

I'm happy for Stevie, let's be honest I'm more happier then sad. He wasn't going to wait forever until he got the GM position in Detroit but at least like this Yzerman will get excellent experience and when the days of Holland are over he will re-join the Wings.

Tampa actually seems like one of the best opportunities there is now... new ownership that wants to win and is very hands off, GM gets to choose new coaching staff and inherits a LOT of young talent and some high picks in this years draft... furthermore, you add in the contingency of MI transplants in Tampa and this could potentially be the single best fit he could find outside of Detroit...

Can't argue with those reasons that's for sure.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Don't worry guys. Stevie is just going there so he can trade Stamkos for Meech and then will step down as GM and come back to Detroit. Book it.

wow, best of luck to stevie

anyone else a lightning fan now? lol

of course the wings will always be # 1 for me no matter what

they just became my #2, that's for sure... I'm real interested to see who he puts in place as coach now...

Well... not gonna be hard to pick a favorite team in the East now. If the overall situation stabilizes then I think he'll do very well, at the very least I hope he'll do very well.

Guest micah

Awesome news, congrats on the new gig, Stevie Y!

Of course I'm a little sad to see him go, but I'm very happy for him, this really is a great opportunity for him. Honestly, I think I'd rather have that job than be the new Wings GM. You can learn and make mistakes in Tampa that will go mostly unnoticed, not so in Detroit.

"What happens if the Wings and Bolts meet up in the finals anytime soon? Who are you going to root for? The Captain, or our Team? Something to think about."

No, there's nothing to think about if you're a Red Wings fan!

I think Yzerman's position (Vice President?) was created merely to keep him around, and because Ilitch likes him, but when Ilitch tried to get Holland to move "up" to president, and Holland refused, Yzerman figured he had to jump at the chance of being a GM now.

Congratulations to Holland for standing his ground and congratulations to Yzerman for pursuing his dream.

Sometimes there's very little sentiment in sport, both by the teams and by the players. that's the name of the game.

Haha wow, well that didn't take long, on Stevie Y's wiki page, it already has him as "current GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning" :lol:

I would've liked for him to be the GM for the Wings but as long as Kenny is around, we should really just appreciate that. Besides, I'm sure Yzerman would love to be GM for the Red Wings if he were ever given the chance, who knows that the future holds :)

Anyways, best of luck to Stevie!

Edited by Namingway