• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

I don't know how much he can do to turn that mess around in one year -- maybe have a heart to heart with Vinny Lecavalier and use the old Stevie Y magic to get him to stop being a useless hanger-on and start being the 50 goal man he can be.

In any event, you are Detroit's favorite son, Steve, and we wish you best of luck in all your future endeavors -- until the time comes for you to return home! :D

I don't know how much he can do to turn that mess around in one year -- maybe have a heart to heart with Vinny Lecavalier and use the old Stevie Y magic to get him to stop being a useless hanger-on and start being the 50 goal man he can be.

In any event, you are Detroit's favorite son, Steve, and we wish you best of luck in all your future endeavors -- until the time comes for you to return home! :D

Inheriting Steven Stamkos & Victor Hedman is a start.

I REALLY hate to see Stevie go, but he has a lot of good young players to start off with, he gets to pick his own coach, and he gets to live it up in Florida. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. There's no question who my second favorite team is now.

On a somewhat related note, isn't it ironic that he went to the Lightning? The Wings are red/white, the Lightning are blue/black (the exact opposite colors). His best player has the same first name (except he's called Steven, not Steve or Stevie) and has the same two numbers, except in reverse (91). Its like Yzerman went to the bizarro Wings. :D

haha, interesting way to look at it...

Congrats to Stevie on finding employment in the current job market.

I know you're just being silly, but come on, it's not like he was sitting around collecting unemployment here :lol:

Inheriting Steven Stamkos & Victor Hedman is a start.

yea, no kidding and a #6 this year... plus he still has those 2 guys, what were their names? Oh yea, that St. Louis and Lecavalier character...

They could turn around quickly with the right coaching staff...

I know you're just being silly, but come on, it's not like he was sitting around collecting unemployment here :lol:

Half silly, half serious. :cool:

It's great for Stevie to move up in the hockey world because I'm sure being in the shadow of Holland this whole time has been a great but anxious time for him. He's a leader and a competitor and now he gets the chance to show his stuff.

I don't know the current ownership situation there, but I'm praying this team doesn't have the problems that Phoenix has had recently and that Stevie molds a great team...in the East. ;)

Edited by BleedRed&White

Half silly, half serious. :cool:

It's great for Stevie to move up in the hockey world because I'm sure being in the shadow of Holland this whole time has been a great but anxious time for him. He's a leader and a competitor and now he gets the chance to show his stuff.

I don't know the current ownership situation there, but I'm praying this team doesn't have the problems that Phoenix has had recently and that Stevie molds a great team...in the East. ;)

They actually have a reasonable fan base and revenue stream there (most likely due to the aforementioned transplants down there from the north) and the new owner has made it very clear that he is taking a hands off approach and will let the GM make the hockey decisions - http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/new-tampa-bay-lightning-owner-jeff-vinik-not-flashy-and-thats-good/1077885 (good read by the way)

It really looks like the perfect GM job to be honest and I'm surprised the list of candidates wasn't longer - that is unless it was always going to be Nonis or Yzerman or bust in the first place

I'm not nearly as sad/mad as I thought I would be. A year ago I would have told you that this would never happen, but after the Olympics and rumblings of Holland and company signing extensions, I realized it was inevitable. Tampa has certainly bolted up to one of my favourite teams now. Look forward to see what he can do, and of course, is inevitable return to the Wings :wink:

On a somewhat related note, isn't it ironic that he went to the Lightning? The Wings are red/white, the Lightning are blue/black (the exact opposite colors). His best player has the same first name (except he's called Steven, not Steve or Stevie) and has the same two numbers, except in reverse (91). Its like Yzerman went to the bizarro Wings. :D

Technically green is the opposite of red :tongue: But nice observation :lol:

I'm not nearly as sad/mad as I thought I would be. A year ago I would have told you that this would never happen, but after the Olympics and rumblings of Holland and company signing extensions, I realized it was inevitable. Tampa has certainly bolted up to one of my favourite teams now. Look forward to see what he can do, and of course, is inevitable return to the Wings :wink:

Technically green is the opposite of red :tongue: But nice observation :lol:

On the color wheel, yes, in the terms of opposition colors (team blue v. team red), it's very accurate...

Is there anyone on Stevie's wish list for head coach?

Wonder if Jacques Demers is on Stevie's speed dial?

Well, he's currently a Canadian Senator... so I'm pretty sure he's out of the running...

I'm really interested to see who he hires as coach... I wonder what the odds are of a guy like Hitchcock?

Edited by stevkrause

Does Demers still work for RDS?...Even if he does it's still close to home...Kinda hard to help run a country when you're 1500 miles away.

I'd say the chances are pretty high - wasn't Hitch involved with the mens team this past Olympics?...I honestly can't think of anyone else that Yzerman would want.

EDIT - Barry Smith?...Ted Nolan?...Barry Melrose :lol:

exactly... plus all the constant travel associated with being a coach, the job on RDS allows him to be stationary and stay within the country's boundaries...

I think any of those (Hitchcock, Smith, Nolan) with the exception of Melrose (which I'm about 99% sure you did in jest) would be great choices...

What about Barry Smith?

I would imagine that a call will at least be made to see if he wants to interview...

Edited by stevkrause

Well, I can't say I'm not bummed to see him go, but I wish him all the good luck and success in the world. I think they have the beginnings of what could be a pretty darn good team, so I hope Stevie can take them there.

And hey, my thought is, at least he went to a team I didn't really care about either way before, so now I have no problem rooting for them! Just imagine if he'd gone to the Flyers (not that they have an opening, but y'know)... :shudders: Go Lightning!

Stevie Y will forever be a Red Wing. I am happy for him and wish him the best of luck with his new GM position as much as I wish he waited out Holland. He is ready to be a GM so i understand why he took the job.