• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

why not?

We played in first game in a Wings jersey and he played his last game in a Wings jersey. If he was on the ice in a NHL game, he was wearing the Winged Wheel. If people want to get a Lightning styled suit that says Yzerman, fine but his jersey will always be a Red Wings one.

Am I the only one who's excited for him and doesn't feel betrayed?

I'm excited for him but at the same time it sucks to see him go. I really think he'll be back with Detroit before his GM career is done.

Holland = Selfish

I used to think I would feel betrayed, but with his Team Canada work and all the talk lately it just seemed like an inevitability. He has a great opportunity: he can't do any worse and has a great core squad to work with. With some luck he may just be able to mold Stamkos into Cindy's replacement as the face of the league, and wouldn't that be nice.

Edited by kook_10

Am I the only one who's excited for him and doesn't feel betrayed?

I don't feel betrayed. He wanted to be a GM and the Wings weren't in a position to make that happen. He didn't go to one of our rivals, he's in the Eastern Conference and they had to pay him the sales tax of California just so he'd say yes. What's the guy supposed to do?

Besides, it's not like the door is shut for him never to return to Detroit.

I started crying the second his voice cracked when he said "leaving behind the detroit red wings"... I cried for a good half hour. Stevie isn't just any other hockey player, he's not just any other VP of operations... I want him to succeed but god... I'm not ready for this.

Do I feel betrayed? Not in the slightest. The man gave decades of his life for some of the best entertainment I've ever witnessed, and I'm ecstatic for him and his opportunity to take his career to the next level.

I am absolutely saddened, though, that for the first time ever at the NHL level, Stevie is representing a team other than the Wings.

Like several others have already said... at least now I have an official second favorite team. I hope he knocks this one out of the park, with ten consecutive finals appearances (all of them seven game losses to the Wings ;)).

I started crying the second his voice cracked when he said "leaving behind the detroit red wings"... I cried for a good half hour. Stevie isn't just any other hockey player, he's not just any other VP of operations... I want him to succeed but god... I'm not ready for this.

Thats a little much. He switched to be a GM of another team, its not like your mom died or something

How so?

He was offered the presidency to oversee Yzerman while Yzerman became a gm and worked his way into the league. Jimmy D did the same thing for Holland back when Holland came into the league and Holland didn't have the prior impact on the organization when he became GM. He got cut form the team and became their western scout and worked his way up. Steve has proven he knows how to build a winning team and I think should've got the GM job here except Holland wouldn't do what was done for him so many years ago.

Thats why he's selfish

Take it easy everybody. I love Stevie as much as the next Wings fan but he had to make a career move that was best for him. FLA is a great place to live when your house isn't getting knocked down by a hurricane, but he had to do it. I wish him well and we will hope he can get the experience there and come back to the Wings for a more permanent spot.

He was offered the presidency to oversee Yzerman while Yzerman became a gm and worked his way into the league. Jimmy D did the same thing for Holland back when Holland came into the league and Holland didn't have the prior impact on the organization when he became GM. He got cut form the team and became their western scout and worked his way up. Steve has proven he knows how to build a winning team and I think should've got the GM job here except Holland wouldn't do what was done for him so many years ago.

Thats why he's selfish

+1 Kudos!

The end of an era.

Thats why he's selfish

Holland had every right to keep that job.

Yzerman had every right to take the job in Tampa.

You would do the same thing if you preferred the lower job over the other. The only reason you say its selfish is because of the sentiment towards Yzerman.

Good for Steve. :thumbup:

Don't be so down guys, nothing about Yzerman's legacy has changed and in the end he was a hall of fame player not a hall of fame manager. Is this really a blow to the Wings? I'm happy for Stevie-- he's wanted this and knew Holland wasn't retiring anytime soon so it was inevitable.