• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

Holland had every right to keep that job.

Yzerman had every right to take the job in Tampa.

You would do the same thing if you preferred the lower job over the other. The only reason you say its selfish is because of the sentiment towards Yzerman.

Its still selfish to do that. Jimmy D did it for Holland when he didn't have to at all, Holland should've done the same for his apprentice.

Its just like when teachers work on contract when they are like 75 years old. They have the right to do it sure but its dumb and they shouldn't take away jobs from the people just coming out of school

Its still selfish to do that. Jimmy D did it for Holland when he didn't have to at all, Holland should've done the same for his apprentice.

Who says Jimmy D wanted the GM job?

Its just like when teachers work on contract when they are like 75 years old. They have the right to do it sure but its dumb and they shouldn't take away jobs from the people just coming out of school

Holland isn't 75 years old. He is not even close to "overripe".

Thats a little much. He switched to be a GM of another team, its not like your mom died or something

He was a part of this organization for 20+ years and was one of the best athletes/people employed ever by this organization. People like this come few and far between so people get attached to them a little bit. If somebody like this left your company after 20+ years, there will probably be sadness and a few tears as well. Don't tell people how and how not to act or that it's a bit too much. I nearly shed some tears, does that make me less of a man or person or whatever?

He was offered the presidency to oversee Yzerman while Yzerman became a gm and worked his way into the league. Jimmy D did the same thing for Holland back when Holland came into the league and Holland didn't have the prior impact on the organization when he became GM. He got cut form the team and became their western scout and worked his way up. Steve has proven he knows how to build a winning team and I think should've got the GM job here except Holland wouldn't do what was done for him so many years ago.

Thats why he's selfish

So Holland is supposed to step aside for the better of Yzerman's career and improvement when Holland has given zero indication he is going to retire or move onto another position anytime soon?

Give me a break.

Who says Jimmy D wanted the GM job?

Holland isn't 75 years old. He is not even close to "overripe".

Yeah but he's been aprt of a team thats has won 4 cups and has been GM for a long time. When a guy with Yzermans credentials from the organization is ready to take the job and you've had a great run, you take the promotion.

It was the best for all involved. Stevie wasn't going to be GM of the Red Wings anytime soon. Give him some time in Tampa and who knows, in 5-7 years when Holland retires ... maybe, just maybe. Does anyone know how much he is getting in terms of salary and contract?

On another note, he is not very good at the mic, hums and haws a lot ... he'll learn.

Yeah but he's been aprt of a team thats has won 4 cups and has been GM for a long time. When a guy with Yzermans credentials from the organization is ready to take the job and you've had a great run, you take the promotion.

Not knocking the great Stevie Y but today's GM job is a highly skilled position that requires sharp legal and business sense. You can only pick up so much from hanging around the front office. Does anyone know Stevie Y's background in terms of education and experience? Let's face it, not just every good player can make it in the front office, he may or he may not. Look at Gretz ... great player but terrible coach.

He was a part of this organization for 20+ years and was one of the best athletes/people employed ever by this organization. People like this come few and far between so people get attached to them a little bit. If somebody like this left your company after 20+ years, there will probably be sadness and a few tears as well. Don't tell people how and how not to act or that it's a bit too much. I nearly shed some tears, does that make me less of a man or person or whatever?

So Holland is supposed to step aside for the better of Yzerman's career and improvement when Holland has given zero indication he is going to retire or move onto another position anytime soon?

Give me a break.

Only girls cry.

And yeah when the way you got your job was because of someone taking that promotion, you should also take that promotion to keep that guy who you just said did so much for this organization here.

Its not like he wasn't going to be involved in the organization, he was going to be president for gods sake.

Only girls cry.

And yeah when the way you got your job was because of someone taking that promotion, you should also take that promotion to keep that guy who you just said did so much for this organization here.

Its not like he wasn't going to be involved in the organization, he was going to be president for gods sake.

You're out of your damned mind you know that?

If you want to compare their careers, I would argue that Kenny's spot as GM is to him exactly what still playing in the NHL was to Steve. It is his time to shine in the big league. No one forced Stevie off the ice, so why should anyone do that to Kenny? He deserves to ride out his career in the same way.

Why?

Because I think a guy who should repay the favour to a younger apprentice of his the exact same way he became a GM. Holland was gonig to be overseeing everything Yzerman did and was still going to be in the picture big time.

Yzerman should be the wings GM this year and Holland should be president. Holland has won 4 cups and has had his run but now you gotta train your apprentice for the job but Holland was selfish.

I'm excited for him but at the same time it sucks to see him go. I really think he'll be back with Detroit before his GM career is done.

Holland = Selfish

Why is Holland selfish? Because he didn't give his career over to Steve Yzerman? Holland mentored him and taught him. Now it's time to see what the student learned from the master!

If you want to compare their careers, I would argue that Kenny's spot as GM is to him exactly what still playing in the NHL was to Steve. It is his time to shine in the big league. No one forced Stevie off the ice, so why should anyone do that to Kenny? He deserves to ride out his career in the same way.

He wasn't being forced out, he was being given a promotion for gods sake to teach someone how to become a great GM. And Yzerman took a hit for this organization when he played for like 2 million bucks, Kenny hasn't taken a hit yet.

Why?

Because I think a guy who should repay the favour to a younger apprentice of his the exact same way he became a GM. Holland was gonig to be overseeing everything Yzerman did and was still going to be in the picture big time.

Yzerman should be the wings GM this year and Holland should be president. Holland has won 4 cups and has had his run but now you gotta train your apprentice for the job but Holland was selfish.

Why?

Primarily because you are acting like a tough guy telling people it is not okay or it is stupid to do stuff when it is perfectly okay to.

If you would've restated the above earlier instead of making Holland out to be this bad terrible person, you'd probably be a bit less nuts. If you did this and I failed to see it, I apologize. Still, Holland isn't doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of greed or selfishness here.

I can't imagine the crap that is going to come out of LGW if the offseason/next season does not go well for the Wings. This move is going to be cited so many times as the cause of anything negative...

He wasn't being forced out, he was being given a promotion for gods sake to teach someone how to become a great GM. And Yzerman took a hit for this organization when he played for like 2 million bucks, Kenny hasn't taken a hit yet.

Forced out of his GM role - the role he wants just like Steve does, for gods sake. Why does Kenny have to take a hit? He isn't in the twilight of his GM career like Steve was.

Well, crying means you don't have balls, doncha know? And newfy likes balls, as he's said on more than one occasion.

I'm happy for Steve, although I'm not entirely sure he's ready to be a full-time GM.

I'd be more concerned organizationally if the Wings lost Holland or even Jim Nill, but the Wings are one of the few teams that can shed an ass't GM and plug someone else in. I'd also be more concerned of Yzerman the player signed with the Lightning for the final few years of his playing career. I'd also be very interested to see who in the organization he brings over with him.

But on the face of it: the headline "Steve Yzerman becomes NHL general manager" is good news, and something that was eventually going to happen.

I am very sad to see him go but as he said, he knew he had to if he wanted to be a GM. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope his time in Tampa will serve as training and experience for when he takes the reigns in Detroit somewhere down the line. For the first time ever, I might have a second favourite team...yikes. :unsure:

Guest Lidstromboli

I can't imagine the crap that is going to come out of LGW if the offseason/next season does not go well for the Wings. This move is going to be cited so many times as the cause of anything negative...

doubt it

Well, Tampa is my favorite east team. And I love Stamkos. I hope Stevie does well, and I'll betcha just about anything he'll be back in Detroit someday to be the GM.

Stevie Y is my hero, he resembles everything a person should be. Steve, you will be sorely missed, good luck!

Edited by stevieisthebest

Im betting Gallant is a part of the coaching staff.

Good luck Yzerman, I bet we will all have a great interest in what happens in the coming years in Tampa.