• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

Only girls cry.

And yeah when the way you got your job was because of someone taking that promotion, you should also take that promotion to keep that guy who you just said did so much for this organization here.

Its not like he wasn't going to be involved in the organization, he was going to be president for gods sake.

Only insecure men are afraid to show their emotions.

How long until "Illitch you suck!"

Hopefully never.

It's not like the Wings made the wrong decision. Holland is considered the best GM in the league by many hockey observers.

Stevie isn't leaving the Red Wings family. In 20 or 30 years he'll be hanging around the rink like Gordie does now.

Illitch could have easily fired Holland if he wanted to.

Luckily he's not retarded. :D

Keep him to do what? Top off Kenny's coffee? Don't be so insecure. The team will be fine. Jeez.

Agreed. I don't think as a VP Yzerman was doing a whole lot during the day. The same thing happened to Howe after he retired, the organization made him a VP, but he sat around bored most of the time and only was asked to make public appearances for the team.

Yzerman going to TB is the right move for everyone. Plus I'm sure Stevie will be back when Kenny retires.

Luckily he's not retarded. :D

:lol:

That made me laugh Drake!

Edited by Barrie

Good luck to steve. I'm going to miss him.

But I am worried, the lightning organization has a history of bad management. Remember when they fired that coach (I forget his name) only after a few games. The owners are are very impatient, the want results now, they dont give it some time. ...but i could be mistaken, I think that was the lightning.

for those of you who think he'll be back when Holland retires, don't bet on it. Why? Because if he turns out to be a great Hockey GM, why would Tampa let him go? The way Steve Yzerman is as a professional, he starts a job, has the most success at it and finishes where he started. Let him grow up and move out guys! He grew up in our house, he graduated with honors and got his PhD here. He wants to own his own house, he wants to build and he has perhaps the best young player already in uniform to build around in Stamkos, along with one of the best young defenders in the league in Hedman. He has over $21M available cap space and pretty much has an open checkbook, with his clout around the league, don't be surprised to see some big names moving south. I wouldn't even put it past him to try and coax Lids down there! Could Tampa be the new home for Maltby? Yzerman could throw a monkey wrench into Hollands plans this off season... I say here's to a long a happy relationship between Yzerman and Tampa, I really don't want him back anyway. Hey, does he like Hudler?

Guest Lidstromboli

First the 83 draft... now, a GM job.

Brian Lawton upstaged by Yzerman again. Curse you, Stevie Y!!

I am never sure what to make of great players retiring and becoming coaches and GMs. They often fail to meet the expectations they did as players. Take Gretzky for example. He was one of the best players of all time, but struggled as a head coach.

It is sad to see him go, but at least he did not go to a team most of us hate, like Anaheim.

After having this settle in, there's a part of me that says I wouldn't even want Stevie Y to be the Red Wings GM. He'll always be a Red Wing to all of us anyways - going to Tampa doesn't change that the slightest. I think the world of Yzerman and always will. He's everything that has made the Red Wings organization the way it is and he's about as close to a perfect human that there has ever been.

I don't want to question his potential decisions as a GM or have it possibly go wrong with the Red Wings. To a lesser extent, it's like Joe Dumars with the Pistons. I grew up watching Joe D. as a player and for everything great he has done in the front office for the Pistons, there are some equally purely awful decisions that take away some of Dumars' luster to me.

I'm nothing but happy for Stevie Y. It's another tribute to the Red Wings organization as well. Tampa Bay needs a winner and they got one.

He has over $21M available cap space and pretty much has an open checkbook, with his clout around the league, don't be surprised to see some big names moving south. I wouldn't even put it past him to try and coax Lids down there!

Sounds like something right out of any given sunday

I just choked and spat out my tea when I saw this on NHL.com just now.

Totally gutted! Best of luck to him though, such a class guy. However I'm down about it now, and depressed for the day :(