• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

Good luck to steve. I'm going to miss him.

But I am worried, the lightning organization has a history of bad management. Remember when they fired that coach (I forget his name) only after a few games. The owners are are very impatient, the want results now, they dont give it some time. ...but i could be mistaken, I think that was the lightning.

Since the Davidson family sold the team, the Lightning have gone through ownership groups like Spinal Tap went through drummers. The previous ownership group left the team even more of a mess off the ice than on the ice, and there had to be housecleaning to move forward. Jeff Vinik, the latest in that line of owners, seems to be in it for the long run and willing to give plenty of time to see if the Yzerman era works out. From the palm tree side:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/by-picking-tampa-bay-yzerman-revives-hockey-faith/1097734

But for now, there is only one choice that matters.

Yzerman chose you.

He chose Tampa Bay.

That is a distinction that should not be taken lightly. After all, it wasn't exactly earth-shaking news that Lightning owner Jeff Vinik was pursuing the highly regarded Yzerman as his new general manager. The shocking part was that the attraction was mutual.

And so, just like that, you have reason to believe in hockey again. After two ownership groups bailed. After three head coaches were fired. After two GMs were dumped. After all the vacant cash calls and all the empty promises, Yzerman has made faith a virtue again.

I just hope Tampa Bay's years of suck in the future won't destroy Yzerman's chances of becoming GM of a real team, haha.

I have no problem with Tampa Bay, and I guess he needed an 'entry-level' job, but I hope the circus down there stops before it damages his pristine reputation. And yes, this means Yzerman is gone for good. The odds of Holland retiring at the exact same time that Yzerman's contract comes up and Tampa Bay being a terrible embarrassing mess at the time is highly unlikely.

I don't think it matters if the planets align and his contract there is up at the same time Holland steps down; Yzerman will give the same commitment to Tampa he gave to Detroit. He's moving his family there while his children are in school - not a light-hearted or temporary move for a parent. Unless Tampa reneges on parts of their agreement and/or does not show him the kind of loyalty and support that Mr. I did, Stevie is there for the long haul.

Ilitch should have attempted to remove Holland for Yzerman, just like Emperor Palpatine attempted to remove Darth Vader for Luke Skywalker in "Return of the Jedi"

hehe.gif

Time to let the younger apprentice shine.

Your completely bang on great analogy- our Luke is gone . I believe it was time for a change, this year showed that we neeeded some form of renewal and transition.

Anybody that would prefer Yzerman over Holland as a GM at this point is truly on crack. That includes Ilitch.

Don't say it too loud their might be more than you think dangling the pipe!

Guest mindfly

Still.. I do NOT like that both Bowman and Yzerman now left, they were both here during the 2007/2008 season... and they also had a different D-coach...

Those two are not replaceable - but FIRE MCCRIMMON GOD DAMMIT.

When Mr. Yzerman had the eye injury that forced him to miss the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, he was asked to suggest who should replace him. His choice:

vincent-lecavalier.jpg

And he became the World Cup 2004 MVP if i remember correctly :)

I still can't believe he's gone. On one hand, I want him to have all the professional success he wants, because I believe he's good at what he does and should have a chance to do it. On the other.....I'm a selfish brat and wanted him to stay in Detroit where he belongs.

Damn, damn, damn.

Scotty left in '08.

88 goals left in '09.

And now Stevie leaves in '10.

I hope the Red Wings are done leaving for the rest of this off-season.

Then let's hope Nick decides to come back for next season, otherwise it's going to be ugly.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Then let's hope Nick decides to come back for next season, otherwise it's going to be ugly.

just for that,

lidstrom is gonna retire :hehe:

The Tampa article alluded to this indirectly, but I think this was a brilliant move by the Bolts for the following reason:

The Lightning have been the very definition of a poorly run team from the top down for years now. Poor ownership, poor management and so on. Now, with a new, seemingly dedicated, single owner, was the right time for them to alter the entire culture of their front office.

When Stevie was drafted by the Wings, Illitch was a new, seemingly dedicated, single owner of a team in shambles. It has been said time and time again that he thought the organization should run as a family, with loyalty, mutual respect and tons and tons of hard work as the cornerstones. And you know what? It worked. 20 odd years later, the Wings are renowned as one of, if not the, best run organization in all of sports.

This is the only NHL culture Yzerman has ever known, and one that was successful largely because of his own commitment to those cornerstones. Now, I don't know a ton about Vinik, but I have to believe that in their discussions, he must have displayed to Stevie that he shared in this philosophy, and wanted to bring the best parts of it to Tampa. If I'm Vinik, what better way to erase years of fundamental toxicity and to begin a winning tradition than to bring on one of the men responsible for making Detroit respectable again?

I'll miss having Yzerman in Detroit, but I'm actually finding myself eager to see Tampa turn things around with him at the helm.

Edited by Uncle Danny

I don't feel the slightest bit betrayed. He wants to be a GM in the NHL. No betrayal whatsoever. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that I'm bummed out that he's gone. He's been a Red Wing for 26 years. I thought he would be a Red Wing for life. He should have been given assistant GM status here in Detroit. That might have kept him with the Wings. It just sucks knowing that during the rare event that the Wings play the lightning, Steve Yzerman, Mr. Detroit Hockey, will be rooting against the Red Wings...

I don't feel the slightest bit betrayed. He wants to be a GM in the NHL. No betrayal whatsoever. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that I'm bummed out that he's gone. He's been a Red Wing for 26 years. I thought he would be a Red Wing for life. He should have been given assistant GM status here in Detroit. That might have kept him with the Wings. It just sucks knowing that during the rare event that the Wings play the lightning, Steve Yzerman, Mr. Detroit Hockey, will be rooting against the Red Wings...

yeah, but when we beat them, he'll smile, shrug, and think to himself "well, whaddya want? they're the f***in' red wings!".

sure, everyone else in the NHL says/thinks that too...but not with a smile!

best of luck, my captain, sir!! hope the family enjoys sunny florida!

I just hope Tampa Bay's years of suck in the future won't destroy Yzerman's chances of becoming GM of a real team, haha.

I have no problem with Tampa Bay, and I guess he needed an 'entry-level' job, but I hope the circus down there stops before it damages his pristine reputation. And yes, this means Yzerman is gone for good. The odds of Holland retiring at the exact same time that Yzerman's contract comes up and Tampa Bay being a terrible embarrassing mess at the time is highly unlikely.

Bear in mind that GMs do have a fairly high turnover rate. 20 NHL teams have changed GMs since the lockout. Anything more than 6-8 years or so is considered 'long term'. Holland's contract wouldn't have to expire at the same time, he would just have to agree to step aside. Or maybe Steve could wait a year or two in a different role. Or maybe Holland goes before Steve's contract is up and we go with a temp GM for a year or two.

I believe he wants to be the GM of the Wings. I believe Ilitch wants him to be the GM eventually. The fans definitely want him. Assuming he doesn't fail miserably in TB, I have to believe he'll be back before too long.

Even if he fails miserably in TB I see the Wings welcoming him back in some role in a heartbeat.

No way if he goes to the org and says, I want back in do they say no to THE Captain!

He comes back either way. He got his GM opportunity quicker with a franchise that has considerable work to do. But hey however you look at it he is going to a team is a Cup winner more recent than the Hawks were... I expect Stevie back some day regardless.

Good luck to steve. I'm going to miss him.

But I am worried, the lightning organization has a history of bad management. Remember when they fired that coach (I forget his name) only after a few games. The owners are are very impatient, the want results now, they dont give it some time. ...but i could be mistaken, I think that was the lightning.

Yeah the Bolts are a horrible organization. Who hires the mullet for a coach in the first place? :unsure:

On one hand, it's a chance for Stevie to make an impact with a bad team. On the other hand, they are so dysfunctional maybe nobody can help. In that case, I hope he's back in Detroit. I wish him the best of luck though - would never want him to fail at anything. (although I can't say I was rooting for him in the Olympics, esp with Crybaby on his team).

Imo, Tampa shouldn't even have a franchise. Sure they won a Cup - freak occurrence just before the lockout, all the West power teams got knocked out. Waste of top draft picks going to a Fla team (why are there 2 teams in that state?). I guess it just irks me to reward repeated ineptness with high draft picks, but that's the way the system is set up - gotta live with it. Between the 2 teams, I'd leave the Bolts and dissolve the other team (Panthers? :unsure:). One of the forgotten teams of the NHL....