• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Steve Yzerman named TB's new GM

Rate this topic

this really isnt a big deal, and i dont get why some people are feeling betrayed or soemthing. It happens all the time in sports. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but please people, stop actign like Steve Yzerman was a god or something. he didnt turn this franchise around by himself, in fact i think Lidstrom deserves more credit than Stevie.

Dont get me wrong, he was a huge part of it and was a great leader of the franchise.

:(

Yeah but are they still gonna leave Stevie on the "Pure Michigan" commercials?

I thought Tim Allen does them? Is there a Stevie Y remix version?

Which gets me to think, I haven't been home in a while, is the Yzerman Mural still up in Downtown Detroit, the one that replaced Barry?

this really isnt a big deal, and i dont get why some people are feeling betrayed or soemthing. It happens all the time in sports. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but please people, stop actign like Steve Yzerman was a god or something. he didnt turn this franchise around by himself, in fact i think Lidstrom deserves more credit than Stevie.

Dont get me wrong, he was a huge part of it and was a great leader of the franchise.

You must be really young. Or you have a terrible memory. Steve Yzerman absolutely turned this franchise around. We didn't even get Nick till 1990. Yzerman had already taken the "dead wings" from a bottom feeder, to a playoff team before we even drafted Lidstrom. Yzerman was a one man wrecking crew, and was just as good defensively as he was offensively (6th all time in points).

Yzerman deserves by far more credit than any other former or current Red Wing.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

You must be really young. Or you have a terrible memory. Steve Yzerman absolutely turned this franchise around. We didn't even get Nick till 1990. Yzerman had already taken the "dead wings" from a bottom feeder, to a playoff team before we even drafted Lidstrom. Yzerman was a one man wrecking crew, and was just as good defensively as he was offensively (6th all time in points).

Yzerman deserves by far more credit than any other former or current Red Wing.

lol at the bolded part

Yzerman was either offensive star (early years) or defensive star (but significantly worse offensive player) later (Bowman). He was one of the most important Red Wings, obviously, but he does not deserve more credit (for the Cup wins) than Fedorov, Lidstrom or Shanahan. And Lidstrom then went to win another in 08. That means he was more important overall.

Edited by Reds4Life

Yeah the Bolts are a horrible organization. Who hires the mullet for a coach in the first place? :unsure:

On one hand, it's a chance for Stevie to make an impact with a bad team. On the other hand, they are so dysfunctional maybe nobody can help. In that case, I hope he's back in Detroit. I wish him the best of luck though - would never want him to fail at anything.

That was the previous Tampa ownership group that was so good at driving away fans in the area that some people were convinced that OK Hockey was actually trying to pull a reverse Slap Shot and use the falling attendance as an excuse to move the team to Winnipeg/Hamilton. Every hockey fan in Florida was thrilled to see them sell the team to Vinik earlier this year.

The new ownership really does seem to want to see the Bolts healthy and strong in the Bay area for the long term, and thrilled to find someone who comes from the a culture of excellence and 'much will be given; much will be expected'. From today's SPT:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/article1097857.ece

"Steve and I have had several conversations about how great it would be if 27 years from now he and I were still working here and working hard on the Lightning," Tampa Bay owner Jeff Vinik said. "I'm the owner, and he's the GM of a championship organization."

I don't see any need to compare Stevie's and Lids's contributions to the Wings. They've both been huge positive influences. But Stevie had to know he was taking a huge ego-step back when Scotty asked him to play a more defensive game. He knew his rep would take a hit. But even at a young age (?), he did it for the good of the team. How could he have known that ultimately, he'd be considered even more of a hockey god within the Wings' organization?

He's obviously a guy who is willing to test himself, to take chances. Holland's not going anywhere for awhile (and I appreciated Ilitch's candor about all that), and Stevie's ready to move on. I want to think that ultimately he'll be back as GM of the Wings.

First of all, that PASS video is really cool. He actually says intelligent things compared to players today, which is nice.

Second, I highly doubt he'll be coming back people. If he goes to Tampa with the same attitude he used in approaching the Wings, he will create a winning culture there and commit to it. Plus, I highly doubt he'll want to displace is family and kids to Florida only to return to freezing cold Michigan. He's always said his time to the game is now taking a backseat to his family and kids.

Im shocked that there is no Photoshop of Anakin (Steve) and Obi-Wan (Holland) Only Holland should have a Red Light saber and Steve should have the Blue! for team color reasons only.. that would be Awesome!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Lidstrom didn't have to be captain.

While he definitely didn't "turn this franchise around" alone, he was the centerpiece and deserves the most credit. Lidstrom, bless his heart, wasn't even close if you are comparing in this situation. You are going to get criticized for this heavily.

When I read of this Tuesday morning, I was just totally shocked. I knew he was up for the job in Tampa Bay, but I barely pay attention to behind the scenes stuff, I had zero clue who the other candidates were, I could probably only ID maybe 2 or 3 GMs off the top of my head, etc. So most of Tuesday was a sour, sad day. You rarely ever get this loyalty in professional sports anymore or in any profession.

I wish Yzerman the best of luck in Tampa!

Guest Lidstromboli

we should have traded yzerman for yashin so he could play with fedorov and dominate the league

we would have like 6 more cups

lol at the bolded part

Yzerman was either offensive star (early years) or defensive star (but significantly worse offensive player) later (Bowman). He was one of the most important Red Wings, obviously, but he does not deserve more credit (for the Cup wins) than Fedorov, Lidstrom or Shanahan. And Lidstrom then went to win another in 08. That means he was more important overall.

Yzerman scored 155 points in 1988-89. That's a number that only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux have surpassed. He also received Selke votes, including a first place vote, that season. He was in the Selke voting other years in the 80s as well. It's only because of Fedorov's early 90s Selke/Hart and the fact the Wings went from a powerhouse offensive team to a defense-first championship team, and Bowman made a big deal about Yzerman having to be the leader with regard to that.

But back to my main point; Yzerman's play in the 80s was surpassed only by Gretzky and Lemieux. He took a Red Wings squad that was composed of AHL players and turned it into a team that would win division crowns. The only reason the Wings didn't get past the Conference Finals in any of those years is the fact that they played the Oilers in the CFs.

Lidstrom deserves a lot of credit...but Yzerman was a great defensive player in his early years as well. Not as great as he was later on, but the "Yzerman went from one-way player to defensive star" myth is ridiculous.

Yzerman scored 155 points in 1988-89. That's a number that only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux have surpassed. He also received Selke votes, including a first place vote, that season. He was in the Selke voting other years in the 80s as well. It's only because of Fedorov's early 90s Selke/Hart and the fact the Wings went from a powerhouse offensive team to a defense-first championship team, and Bowman made a big deal about Yzerman having to be the leader with regard to that.

But back to my main point; Yzerman's play in the 80s was surpassed only by Gretzky and Lemieux. He took a Red Wings squad that was composed of AHL players and turned it into a team that would win division crowns. The only reason the Wings didn't get past the Conference Finals in any of those years is the fact that they played the Oilers in the CFs.

Lidstrom deserves a lot of credit...but Yzerman was a great defensive player in his early years as well. Not as great as he was later on, but the "Yzerman went from one-way player to defensive star" myth is ridiculous.

155 points .. in the 80's. Also, Steve never even came close to that mark (137 in 92-93 and 127 in 89-90, other than tha no offensive star seasons). And it is a proven fact that he had to sacrifice some of his offense to become a good defensive player, which was needed to win the Cup. Yzerman started getting significant number of Selke votes when he was no longer an offensive star. It is a myth that Yzerman was an offensive star and provided Selke caliber defense at the same time.

Guest Heaten

I look at it this way, Tampa will be a good place for Yzerman to hone his skills and prepare for the real GM gig in Detroit when Holland does retire.

155 points .. in the 80's. Also, Steve never even came close to that mark (137 in 92-93 and 127 in 89-90, other than tha no offensive star seasons). And it is a proven fact that he had to sacrifice some of his offense to become a good defensive player, which was needed to win the Cup. Yzerman started getting significant number of Selke votes when he was no longer an offensive star. It is a myth that Yzerman was an offensive star and provided Selke caliber defense at the same time.

Yzerman scored 50 goals (6th in the NHL) and 52 assists in 64 games in 1987-88 and was 11th in Selke voting with first-place votes. His projected points line was 63-65-128, which would have placed him 2nd-9th-4th.

Yzerman scored 65 goals (3rd-3rd-3rd) and 90 assists in 1988-89, and was 18th in Selke voting with first place votes. He also won the Lester B. Pearson award that season.

I didn't say Yzerman didn't have to sacrifice offense. But to say he was not good defensively at his offensive best is idiotic.

Yzerman scored 50 goals (6th in the NHL) and 52 assists in 64 games in 1987-88 and was 11th in Selke voting with first-place votes. His projected points line was 63-65-128, which would have placed him 2nd-9th-4th.

Yzerman scored 65 goals (3rd-3rd-3rd) and 90 assists in 1988-89, and was 18th in Selke voting with first place votes. He also won the Lester B. Pearson award that season.

I didn't say Yzerman didn't have to sacrifice offense. But to say he was not good defensively at his offensive best is idiotic.

I did not say he was liability or bad defensively. Just that he became elite defensive player when he was no longer offensive star.

The Lightning are now reporting a spike in season ticket sales and season ticket renewals.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/content/steve-yzerman-effect-tampa-bay-lightning-reports-spike-ticket-sales

I wonder if this is the first time the hiring of a general manager has resulted in an increase in season ticket sales and renewals...*ponder*

I did not say he was liability or bad defensively. Just that he became elite defensive player when he was no longer offensive star.

Scoring nearly a point a game in the late 90s/early 00s definitely still qualifies as 'star' caliber. He was 10th in the league in scoring the year he won the Selke.

He might not have been Sakic/Forsberg/Jagr level, but he was still a top-end forward in the league.

Ye and im sure teemu selanne did that to since he got his best point total in his rookie season....gimme a break, yzerman doesnt deserve the most credit for the cup, our team was godly in all aspects

Edited by Puckpossession